Feng Qing Ye Sheng Hong Cha - Wild Tree Purple Black Tea

Berries, Cannabis, Fruity, Grapes, Malt, Smoke, Sugarcane, Sweet Potatoes, Tart, Blackberry, Blueberry, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Chocolate, Herbaceous, Muscatel, Smooth, Sweet, Wood, Dried Fruit, Floral, Spicy, Tobacco, Citrus Zest, Honey, Rum, Brandy, Caramel, Musty, Nutmeg, Pleasantly Sour, Plums, Astringent, Herbs, Tangy, Citrus, Cream
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “What a really nice tea I just experienced… Thank you Derk. :D I’ve been wanting to try this given the good reviews on it. For one, it is exceptionally smooth. I always love teas that give off a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bit of a bittersweet sipdown for me. I had a large amount of the Spring 2018 harvest and put off drinking it because sometimes ye sheng can mess with me. Last summer, I was in the backseat of a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, a loose leaf sample from Derk. Thank you again. 5 grams, gaiwan 85 ml, steeps 15/30/45/60/75/90 seconds Trying to describe it somehow, but maybe my brain is working on standby yet (7 am), or...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea quickly became my daily drinker when craving some hong cha. Very comforting and easy drinking tea. Although when focusing on the taste it has some great fruit and chocolate flavors. It...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is expertly fermented black tea was crafted using a wild tree purple leaf varietal from Feng Qing area of Lincang prefecture. This wild tree varietal grows wild in the mountainous areas west Feng Qing township near the Da Shi village at an altitude of 2000-2200 meters.

Ye Sheng "野生“ varietal aka “Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam.” is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. It’s potency in cha qi arises from it’s unadulterated nature. It is naturally bug repellent, grows wild in the forests of Yunnan at an altitude of 1600-2200 meters.

An very lightly wilted and processed tea, the green in the leaves is still present and the tea soup is a golden yellow color, much different from the Dehong Wild tree black tea that we also offer. There is a hint of fruit, chocolate and barrel aged rum in the taste and aroma. An exquisite experience!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

What a really nice tea I just experienced… Thank you Derk. :D

I’ve been wanting to try this given the good reviews on it. For one, it is exceptionally smooth. I always love teas that give off a comforting mouth and throat feel as it goes down.

The amber colored liquor had the aroma of stewed sweet fruits. It has very light malt notes and light sweet potatoes in the background but that’s where it ends for me comparing it to other black teas. It is nothing like any other black tea I’ve tried. The different fruits are the stars in this one. It’s one of those hard to describe type of teas and it’s wonderfully complex. There is some sugarcane and fruit sweetness, and then some tang of fruits. It is flavorful from steep to steep, full of fruit, and then there is a sweetness and aroma that is quite different… Like the sweetness of the smell of cannabis when you’re sitting at a Pink Floyd concert. The fruits I tasted were mainly of plums and grapes, muscatel, some berries. Really enjoyed this and will look out for it.

Flavors: Berries, Cannabis, Fruity, Grapes, Malt, Smoke, Sugarcane, Sweet Potatoes, Tart

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
derk

you’re welcome

Bit of a bittersweet sipdown for me.

I had a large amount of the Spring 2018 harvest and put off drinking it because sometimes ye sheng can mess with me. Last summer, I was in the backseat of a taxi hurtling along the Caribbean coastline in Colombia, heading to the city of Barranquilla to fly back home the next day. I didn’t have cell reception the whole time I was there but suddenly on a fairly deserted stretch of road, I got a voicemail from an unknown number. I called them several times before I could connect for more than a few seconds. And when I was finally able to figure out who it was that kept cutting in and out, I heard from the cat sitter that the twin sister of my good old Sophia was found unconscious and breathing behind the bathroom door. She was on life support and I had to make an instant heartbreaking decision to let her go. I never saw Nyx again.

I felt terrible for the cat sitter having come across my girl in that state. As a token of appreciation for rushing Nyx to the vet, after finding out the cat sitter was a loose leaf black tea drinker, I bagged up most of what I had of this tea for her. I hadn’t tried it yet but based on the great reviews I was hoping she’d like it!

I can say I did. Though it does get me amped up in different ways depending on when I last ate and my mood. I had some earlier this week that I brewed western and poured in my thermos. I had slept restlessly the night before and didn’t eat breakfast. This tea saved my day. And at one point it had me really appreciating the view on my way home from class, like some weak psychedelics. Hm, yes.

Then I made a pot for me and the mechanic. It got me so physically amped up I spent hours tearing down an English ivy tree that had no business growing in the corner of the back yard. Once I clear out all that debris, I get to hack away at its subterranean remnants. Curse you, ivy.

I brewed the last of this tea today in my small gaiwan, 4g for 60mL. I’m amped up. And the flavor and aroma are just wonderful. Cherry wood, malt, black cherries, blueberries, blackberries, concord grapes, red grapes, musk, something herbaceous… cannabis? Later some chocolate comes in. Smooth and sweet. The muskiness is more animal based than a Darjeeling grapey muscatel. Whew. This tea is magical. I wonder what the cat sitter thought of it.

A farewell to Feng Qing, San Francisco and Nyx.

Flavors: Blackberry, Blueberry, Cannabis, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Chocolate, Fruity, Grapes, Herbaceous, Malt, Muscatel, Smooth, Sweet, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
Kittenna

Your story breaks my heart <3

Well, a loose leaf sample from Derk. Thank you again.

5 grams, gaiwan 85 ml, steeps 15/30/45/60/75/90 seconds

Trying to describe it somehow, but maybe my brain is working on standby yet (7 am), or it is so complex? Oh, by the way, this is spring 2018 origin.

Anyway, colour is wonderful, clear, dark golden. Really lovely!
Aroma: dried fruits, maybe bit smoky, bit tobacco (but very nice), bit sweet, floral, of course really smooth.
Palate: here it is going even harder than in aromas :D – fruits, malt, lingers for very, very long. Bit woody, spicy (3rd). Maybe bit like Darjeelings? I do not know again. Ah, I think I know now (4th) – grapes! Probably red ones. I did not noticed any chocolate notes, nor alcohol. But it is completely okay.

I like it!

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Floral, Grapes, Smoke, Smooth, Spicy, Sweet, Tobacco, Wood

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 85 ML
Togo

I love this tea! Finally, I have some more on the way. Hopefully it makes it over the Pacific :D

Martin Bednář

It is indeed very nice tea! Really complex and tasty.

haptiK

I have added this tea to my Yunnan Sourcing wishlist based on your glowing review!

This tea quickly became my daily drinker when craving some hong cha.

Very comforting and easy drinking tea. Although when focusing on the taste it has some great fruit and chocolate flavors. It leaves a nice sweetness in the mouth lasting an hour or so. I can get it to last 8 or 9 infusions pushing it pretty long in power steeps for the last couple ones. Little to no astringency, and whatever bitterness is in there transforms to a lasting sweetness.

Flavors: Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Malt

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite teas, very aromatic with some similarities with both darker darjeelings and oolongs. I found it to be quite complex, both in the smell and taste.

In particular, the smell is kind of hard to identifyr, although fairly pungent. I noticed some musk, sugarcane (maybe rum?) and malt. Some prunes and floral notes are present too.

The taste starts off with some nutmeg spiciness and brandy impression. Soon, some heavier fruity notes appear, I identified red grapes and plums for instance. It is mostly a mix of controlled sweet and sour tastes, with the spiciness reappearing in the aftertaste to complement the acidity of balsamic vinegar. One other thing I noticed once the tea has cooled down is a little bit of seaweed savouriness.

As for the effects, I feel this tea is fairly warming with decently strong cha qi.

All in all, a very exciting tea, highly recommended.

Flavors: Brandy, Caramel, Dried Fruit, Floral, Grapes, Malt, Musty, Nutmeg, Pleasantly Sour, Plums, Rum, Sugarcane, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

While I found this tea a bit one dimensional, it has some very nice flavors.
Nose; strawberries, peaches, floral — plumeria, nice " round " aroma.
Palate; Peaches, sugar, nectarine, slight ginger, slight sweet orange.

Delicious, creamy, berrylicious tea with high energy akin to the best raw shengs. I find myself drinking Yunnan Sourcing black teas most of the time. There’s something untamed about their teas that makes me feel like I’m drinking some magic potion.

Tea of the (late) morning! Another lovely black tea sample from boychik. I’ve had one other purple tea from Yunnan Sourcing, and I’m curious to try the others they offer. The leaves of this tea remind me of Taiwanese black teas – they’re long and spindly and twisty. The definitely have the creepy tree branch vibe, and they’re jet black in color. Dry scent is very mild but there are some sweet, malt, and fruit notes. I steeped about two teaspoons of leaf (roughly) for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Hmm… I’m finding the aroma kind of hard to describe. There are some obvious elements, like malt, sweet, fruity, but there’s something there that’s a combination of tangy and herby and I have no idea what it is… I hate that! It’s definitely there in the taste as well. There’s a nice dark grape flavor here, as well as other dried fruit, along with a touch of smoke and mineral and an interesting fuzzy mouth feel, like eating a peach skin. Then there’s that odd tangy/herbal note that I can’t identify. I see that yyz mentioned musk in her note, so maybe that’s it? I can’t help that think that maybe it’s that elusive cannabis that others seem to find so often in teas?

Anyway, this tea is tasty, and definitely complex. I can’t really compare it to any other black tea I’ve had except say that perhaps it’s closest to a Darjeeling? :P

Flavors: Astringent, Cannabis, Dried Fruit, Grapes, Herbs, Malt, Muscatel, Smoke, Tangy

This tea has wonderful and unusual tones of blue fruits (Loganberry, blackcurrants and concord grapes), tempered by honey, cocoa and an unusual tone of musk. I was attracted to this tea by its description promissing tones of rum and chocolate along with the fruit. The chocolate and fruit are definitely there. The rum is mildly apparent in a kind of boozy sugar cane tone that I found in one steep.

This was my first purple tea, so at first I was careful with temperature because I’ve been told they can be astringent but I have found that this tea is fairly forgiving so I have used water in the upper 90°C on it before. What you do need to be careful of is the amount of leaf you use. This is one of those teas that has long, wiry loosely folded leaves and it is easy to under leaf it. I made sure to cover the bottom of my Gaiwan with it. The leaves themselves are almost black and smell of chocolate and fruit, but mainly fruit.

I brewed this tea 6 times this time. The first four ( 30,50,90,&120s) had a pretty consistent flavour profile of blue fruits, honey, cocoa, musk, and cream, with sugar cane and fruit in the aftertaste and an occasional deeper tone to the honey. Starchy notes appeared in these steeps that ranged from faint grain notes to white potato. The tea has a light walnut colour and a creamy texture in the mouth.

The later steeps (170, & 240s) were still fairly rich in flavour but the musk notes were fading and the other tones mellowed and mixed with an artichoke note.

Altogether I have grown quite fond of this tea when I want something with a complex, creamy and fruity nature.

boychik

i really like purple blacks from YS. i used to avoid them, i thought they would be bitter. i really liked this one
i got myself Spring14. i can send you a sample,you have to try it

yyz

I’d like that! I could send you some of this (come September), if you haven’t tried it yet.

Doug F

I just received this. It’s light and delicious with a definite berry flavor. YS has some great black teas.

yyz

They do Doug F, I agree. I like some of the untraditional Yunnan’s, my all time most unusual tasted of grape jelly and violets, but the musk and fruit in this one is interesting and special.

I went to bed at midnight, slept like a vampire at dawn, although I vaguely remember a zombie walk to the bathroom at 6 or so, Ms Theresa trying to convince us to get up & “get things done”. Little Terri flipped her off, somebody set an alarm for 10 am, & we returned to deep sleep & weird dreams, finally waking up at 9.

Shower, pick baskets full of produce from my neglected garden, (photos sometime later today on FB, for those interested), breakfast, & this tea.

I love this tea. I need this tea. A nice long relaxed gongfu session, loaded with serious chaki, as if I were drinking a good sheng. This tea is savory, like Master’s Han’s Wild picked, but fruitier, like concord grapes, & juicy. There’s much more to it, & I’ve reviewed it before, & now I have a student warming up, so I’m gonna go teach. I’ll be multitasking all day: Seasoning yixings, washing laundry, roasting tomatoes, making food for tomorrow, hopefully knitting on my newest pair of socks, playing my harp a bit, & then sleeping like a vampire again. I’ll be drinking tea throughout (except for the sleeping part, LOL)

Spencer

“Purple Black”…interesting.
Do share a link for the photos, when they are up!
Best wishes for today’s lessons.