drank Mi Xian Black by Butiki Teas

Lately I’ve been drinking Butiki Mi Xian Black several times a week. This has become a morning favorite of mine. It really hits the spot!

The leaf is beautiful – long, dark, and spindly. Putting my nose in the bag I pick up the woodsy smell – seems to be a lingering fermented fruit aroma as well. The brewed liquid is also dark but not as dark as the dry leaf. The wet leaf is almost as richly dark-chocolate brown as the dry. The aroma coming from the brew is quite enticing.

The first sip reveals the honey. I later learn that after cooling, the sweet honey taste is even stronger. Those leafhoppers have really done a job on these leaves and the resulting flavor is quite magnificent. The creaminess is also there. I can sense a bit of a malty taste but, for me, the delicious honey flavor is dominant.

3 teaspoons in a 16oz mug with boiling water for 3min 30sec works well for me. Typically go for a second infusion at 4min and it still makes a good cup although not quite as flavor rich. Mi Xian is a must have in my tea pantry!

For me, tea is magical with its ability to transform by bringing one back to center and inspiring both peace and contentment.

Reformed coffee drinker. Switched to tea as part of my goal to work on living a healthier, more balanced life — haven’t looked back since. Surprised to learn what a passion I have developed for all things tea related.

I enjoy most tea types but I cannot handle jasmine or other florals and I’m not particularly fond of bergamot. Started with flavored teas but moved quickly into unflavored blacks and puerhs. Now most of my purchases are puerh cakes for aging. My cold brews for iced tea tend to be a fruity green, white or rooibos but every once in awhile I’ll chill an oolong or puerh.

I no longer assign numerical ratings to teas because our enjoyment of tea is very subjective. Reactions to a particular tea vary from person to person and within the same person across different tasting sessions. My tea notes are now simply comments reflecting my impression at that specific point in time. They are useful to me and if they happen to be helpful to someone else that is good.

North Carolina