drank Mi Xian Black by Butiki Teas

Lately I’ve been drinking Butiki Mi Xian Black several times a week. This has become a morning favorite of mine. It really hits the spot!

The leaf is beautiful – long, dark, and spindly. Putting my nose in the bag I pick up the woodsy smell – seems to be a lingering fermented fruit aroma as well. The brewed liquid is also dark but not as dark as the dry leaf. The wet leaf is almost as richly dark-chocolate brown as the dry. The aroma coming from the brew is quite enticing.

The first sip reveals the honey. I later learn that after cooling, the sweet honey taste is even stronger. Those leafhoppers have really done a job on these leaves and the resulting flavor is quite magnificent. The creaminess is also there. I can sense a bit of a malty taste but, for me, the delicious honey flavor is dominant.

3 teaspoons in a 16oz mug with boiling water for 3min 30sec works well for me. Typically go for a second infusion at 4min and it still makes a good cup although not quite as flavor rich. Mi Xian is a must have in my tea pantry!

Former coffee drinker. Switched to tea as part of my goal to work on living a healthier, more balanced life — haven’t looked back since. Surprised to learn what a passion I have developed for all things tea related.

Steepster has been a big help – I’ve been reading daily to learn as much as I can. Thanks to Steepster reviews, I’ve been able to find good tea (and sellers) – a few misses for me but lots of hits!

At the moment, I enjoy most tea types but I cannot handle jasmine or other florals and I’m not particularly fond of bergamot. Started with flavored teas but moved quickly into high quality blacks, greens, oolongs and puerhs — drinking hot flavored teas less and less. Now most of my purchases are puerh cakes for aging. My cold brews for iced tea tend to be a fruity green, white or rooibos but every once in awhile I’ll chill an oolong or puerh.

Note: In an effort to keep track of all the teas I’ve tried, my cupboard includes any tea I’ve ever owned (including things I’ve sipped down or given away and no longer have in my tea cupboard). In addition, many of the teas listed are unopened waiting to age or work their way into the rotation.

Raleigh, NC