drank Mei Li by Tao of Tea

My lunchtime tea today. Awesome!! Full review to come later. Thank You Amy!!

Have you ever lost contact with a friend and years later, you pick up right where you left off, the reconnection almost seemless. It has happened to me a few times. It’s funny because I’ve realized that even though people reconnect, they tend to be the same (in some ways), yet they are different, still a friend after all the years. Mei Li is one beatiful tea, that sent me down memory lane, reminding me of good friends, and of a tea I purchased from Upton Tea 6 years 11 months ago.

This tea was called Sword of the Emperor, a China Tea with tea leaves that were long and shaped like swords (of course)! Such a beautiful & delicious tea, I reordered it a couple more times. After it sold out, I came to the realization that I may never see this tea again {SIGHHH}.

Then I received this sample from Amy, and I gave it a try. When I opened the sample bag of Mei Li, I was literally transported back in time, upon smelling the tea leaves! Sword of the Emperor…….my dear friend. No, this was not SOTE, but Mei Li, perhaps a sister, as the characteristics of the teas are strikingly similar and familiar.

Heavenly fresh, with delightful smokey, woody notes fill the air as I inhale. Dry leaves are truly beautiful-swordlike and dark green, with white edges and tips. The wet leaves have a wonderful spinich/asparagus, smokey, woody nose (think grilled asparagus). All of those aromas come across in the cup, and on the palate and tongue, with a full mouth feel. The first two cups are most vegetal, while the last two are less so, exhibiting more of the smokey/woody notes. The fourth cup was still very good with fading flavors. The third & fourth cups were steeped at 2 and 4 minutes at higher temps with no bitterness. Truly a special tea for me, I will reorder this one without a doubt.

Like that special friend you reconnect with from your past, very familiar yet different. Glad to see you Sword….er…Mei Li. We’ll keep in touch! Thank you again Amy, mon ami. :))

Cupped: Thursday, December 1, 2011 Reviewed: 12-01 & 12-05-2011.