Tea of the afternoon……

First of all,
Happy New Year to all my Steepster Peeps! I hope you have a lovely time with your nearest and dearest, and please, be safe tonight!

I have been rushing around my kitchen getting a few things ready for our festivities this evening, and I needed a tea that was more like an old friend than one I would have to pay close attention to looking for nuances and intricacies. This one fit the bill since I love a good basic Keemun. I am actually low on my tin and am working to make some space in my cupboard, but I know this will be purchased again at some point. Then, in my haste and the preoccupation of my timer for baking (yes, the travesty!) I steeped this one for about 7 minutes. I was certain it would be a bitter cuppa, but man was I wrong. It was as good and reliable as ever.

I think once my basic Keemun is gone from Fortnum & Mason (and if my refill order ever arrives…..need to make a review on F&M under Steepster’s places tab because I have never experienced such a horrid, appaling online shopping experience, but, alas, my experience is not yet over….) I will definitely be returning to this one. Good tea can easily be great from a reliable source.

Usual teapot method with a ‘mistakenly’ long 7 minute steep. Still delicious!

Ninavampi

Happy New Years!! : )

JacquelineM

Happy New Year, Jen!

Comments

Ninavampi

Happy New Years!! : )

JacquelineM

Happy New Year, Jen!

Tea enthusiast, trying to keep up my cardio for the zombie apocalypse. I have come to accept that I am a western brewing black tea drinker as that is where my ‘tea heart’ lies. I started on loose leaf as a way to have my dessert and not suffer the caloric issues. Once I tried it, I was hooked.

I drink what I like, which is mostly China blacks, a few traditionally scented blacks and Earl Greys, plus a flavored tea here and there. I don’t mind spending a bit on premium varieties on occasion, but an expensive tea has to deliver. My favorite places to order are Harney & Sons and Upton Tea Imports. TeaVivre is great for Chinese tea.

My ratings are pretty subjective. If it falls under 70, I may not take the time to post about it unless I had something specific to say. If it is 70-80 I like it, but I will probably not rebuy. Favorites are over 80 and up, but sometimes the less expensive or more easily obtainable version of a similar taste will win out for my cupboard space.

Usual teapot steeping method: 24 oz teapot, 3 perfect scoops of tea (4 1/2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual mug steeping method: 15 oz mug, 1.5 perfect scoops of tea (just over 2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual pan method: 1 1/2 cups water, 2 perfect tsp chai (3 actual tsp). Simmer for 3 minutes. Add 2/3 cup skim milk. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Strain and sweeten.

Usual pitcher method:
5 or 6 Perfect Spoons of tea (this means about 7-9 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, brewed essentially double-strong in my 24 oz teapot for 4 minutes. Fill my Fiestaware Disc pitcher (about 60 oz.) halfway with ice. Add brewed double-strong tea to the pitcher. Stir it a little and enjoy. No additions.

(*SRP is my Sample/Stash Reduction Plan starting on April 12, 2012. I got so far, but just decided it was too fussy to keep track.)

Ohio