I love the fragrance of roses, both directly from the flower and in scented products such as soaps and perfumes, so I’m the perfect target customer for this tea. The perfume of this tea is indeed very rosy. It’s an old world scent; to some it brings to mind grandmothers or their blue haired luncheon companions, but it makes me think of cream colored china with pink floral designs displayed on doily-draped antique washstands. And it makes me feel calm, content, and meditative.

The color is a dusky pinkish brown, as though someone dropped a little of the color associated with the pink version of the flower known as a tea rose into a cup of standard light brown tea.

I know I’ve eaten rose petals before but I can’t call to mind their flavor. There is something sweetly floral about the taste of this tea, which must be the rose. I have only had flavored white teas, but my experience of them has been generally that tend toward sweet and fresh-tasting, and so this is (though I think I steeped it a bit too long this time around as it was more astringent than the last few times I had it when I steeped it from 3-4 minutes).

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California