I’d read about certain green teas having a post-apocalyptic, glowing green color — the sort of color that makes me think of some of those post-apocalyptic games I played (can’t now remember, was it Fallout? Half-Life? Doom? All of them?) but I’d never actually seen a tea that color. Until tonight. Whoa. Amazing green!

This is the last tea in my sampler, and the fine, very green dusting of the matcha over the leaves and rice is pretty cool looking. It looks like bright, lime-green powdered sugar over long pointy/twisty leaves. It smells juicily vegetal.

I steeped according to the pamphlet instructions: 30 seconds/boiling. The liquor color is a glowing green, not as lime-like as the dry leaves. More tending toward avocado.

The aroma is classic toasty rice, a smell which to me is somewhat similar to the way the old maids in the popcorn bag taste if you chew on them as I’m prone to do. It’s the primary taste as well, with a fresh green tea underlay.

I like the flavor of genmaichas whenever I drink them. I don’t often sit around thinking that they’re just the thing that would hit the spot, though. This is a good, solid genmaicha and I can see ordering it again, but I think the others in the Den’s sample were more suited to frequent drinking as far as my tastes go so I ranked this one a bit lower than the others.

~lauren.

I think it was Ricky who called it ‘radioactive’ in one of his comments about my sencha tea! I called it ‘nuclear green’ and if your tea is the color that mine was, I totally get your ‘post-apocalyptic, glowing green’! : ) Reference: http://steepster.com/LaurenUSA/posts/34881#comments

__Morgana__

Yes! I knew I’d read about it. Pretty wild to actually witness it!

Ricky

I labeled this tea as poison and gave it away to my friend. All these negative connotations associated with the color of this tea. Poor Genmaicha.

__Morgana__

It was a nice tasting poison, though :-)

Ricky

I really enjoyed it the first time I had it, after that it became poison to me =( I get sick after drinking it. Might be a mental thing though =/

__Morgana__

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that! There was one tea that affected me that way. Trying now to remember what it was. I think it might have been the Tazo Earl Grey, but oddly not every time I drank it.

Comments

~lauren.

__Morgana__

Yes! I knew I’d read about it. Pretty wild to actually witness it!

__Morgana__

It was a nice tasting poison, though :-)

95-100 A once in a lifetime experience; the best there is

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; will likely buy more

70-79 Very good; would enjoy again, might buy again

60-69 Good; wouldn’t pass up if offered, but likely won’t buy again

Below 60 Meh, so-so, iffy, or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California