drank White Peony by Adagio Teas

This is the second in the Adagio white sampler. I cracked it open a long time ago when I needed some white peony to make up a full cup when I ran short on another sample, but this is the first time I’m tasting it on its own.

In the sample tin, there’s a grassy, hay-like smell with notes that are both earthy and sweet. The leaves and buds are large, silvery green, and fuzzy. There are some twiggy stems in the sample as well.

I’m not following the Adagio steeping instructions as they seem to be too hot and too long, and with the time and temp I’m using I get a pale yellow, clear liquor and a dewy aroma. It’s like nectar, slightly floral, and slightly rain-like. Very pretty.

And that’s pretty much what I get in the taste, too. A very very subtle, nectar-like, rain-like flavor. It’s nice, but it’s not what I expected at all. I expected a lot more flavor. I’m wondering if I really am meant to cook this one some.

Trying again with the Adagio suggested time of 7 minutes and temperature of 180F. The liquor is a little darker yellow, but apart from that the difference in steeping seems to have made very little difference. The flavor is a little less nectary and little more earthy, but apart from that I don’t taste a lot of difference.

It’s quite a subtle flavor as I’d expect from a white tea. I’d hoped for a bit more complexity but it’s nice enough and I’m enjoying it more than my memory of my Silver Needle experience. I am not rushing to reorder, though, as I have a lot more White Peony samples to try and this one didn’t bowl me over out of the gate.

Cofftea

I agree!!! I like 140-160/3min for most of them except for jasmine silver needle- I go 1-3 for that one.