Lots of reasons to shout “Hooray!” today.

Last night, I got a text from my oldest daughter who recently went from being a tea hater to a tea-because-it-is-good-for-me drinker. She asked me to order both some green and white tea for her.

A couple of hours later, this was followed up by a text from my son, who also never drank tea until a couple of weeks ago, asking me to order tea for his girlfriend for a Valentines gift from him, as she had really liked the puerh I gave her. Hours later, another text came in asking me to order some puerh for him as well. I am positively giddy.

Then the mailman brought my third and final box from Teavivre. I think he was afraid I was going to hug him. I refrained.

Now I am not sure. Having had this tea, he deserved that hug.

The aroma is rich and slightly smokey in the package. The steeped tea is decidedly chocolate-y, reminding me very much of the aroma of Emperor’s Red from Premium Steap. I taste chocolate and roasty toasty goodness. The smoke is now very subtle. I steeped by the suggested parameters.

I have had keemuns that I loved, keemuns that I liked a lot as long as I added milk and sugar, and keemuns that were strong enough to be undrinkable for me.

This one is flavorful yet polished. It is not overpowering, not bitter, not astringent. I could even see making it with slightly hotter water or a longer steep time if you like the really strong keemuns. But this is just about perfect for me.

The pot disappeared quickly and youngest and I wanted more. I resteeped at about 205 degrees, a little hotter than Teavivre calls for, and went an extra minute to just over three minutes for the steep.
The color is still good, the aroma still chocolate-y. Though not as strong as the first steep, this is still lovely and very drinkable.

Youngest is a real Keemun (and smoke) fan and gives it a thumbs up!

Stephanie

I love it when people I love start to love tea too! :)

K S

I realized not following label directions is why I did not like this the first time I tried it. Coming from a tea bag background where black tea gets boiling water and 3-5 minutes steep these teas have been a real lesson.

looseTman

An excellent review of an excellent tea!

ashmanra

Thanks, looseTman! Revisiting this note makes me realize that I really want to reorder this.

Comments

Stephanie

I love it when people I love start to love tea too! :)

K S

looseTman

An excellent review of an excellent tea!

ashmanra

We have learned so much history, geography, and culture in this journey.

My avatar is a mole in a teacup! Long story…

North Carolina