drank Laos Somneauk Green Tea by What-Cha

Reminds me more of sheng puerh than a green tea. Aroma is very forward and fruity with apricot, mango, green olives and nutmeg, maybe a hint of butter cookie. Taste is more like briny olives than fruit. Bitterness has a cactus character. It is minimal but has the potential to dominate with longer steeps. It sits deep within this kind of heavy, earthy-mossy impression which is in turn balanced by a gentle honeyed clarity.. Spicy-cooling finish stimulates the throat. Overall, a bit rustic and unrefined but I’m enjoying it.

There’s room to play around with this tea. The suggested parameters are low temp and low time but I kinda like what longer steeps are doing for it. I’ll try upping the temp next round.

Not yet sure if I’d recommend it, or even where this falls in my ratings system but it’s a solid palate cleanser following lunch :)

Flavors: Apricot, Bitter, Butter, Camphor, Cookie, Drying, Earth, Honey, Mango, Mineral, Moss, Nutmeg, Olives, Spicy

Tea Habits:

Among my favorites are sheng puerh, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, all teas Nepali, herbals, Wuyi yancha. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags. Hold the milk and sugar unless we’re talking masala chai.

In my late teens, home-brewed unsweetened Lipton iced tea was the drink of choice to combat cottonmouth. The following years saw the appearance of the odd box of tea from Trader Joe’s. About 4 years ago, walking out of the parking garage where I kept my motorcycle, I came across a move-out dumpster treasure: single serve packets of what I can look back now and say was Wuyi yancha. Yes, I drank dumpstered tea and honestly, that’s what blew the doors wide open.

Preference Reference
“That’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again. Some could be great daily drinkers.

59-1: Lacking several elements, strangely clunky, possesses off flavors/aroma/texture or something about it makes me not want to finish.

Character Rundown:

Boring pandemic hermit whose only current hobbies besides tasting tea are skateboarding and learning herbalism. Will update as the times change.

Sonoma County, California, USA