I’m now working off a note I wrote a few weeks back, but I remember tasting this tea vividly, and I wanted to engage Steepster again after an absence caused by moving, the holidays, and being unwell for a few weeks.

Anyway, I didn’t like this tea. I did not hate it. In fact, I found it pleasant. But I didn’t like it, either. It tasted too heavily of spices to me, especially cinnimon, and I tasted very little tea or even pastry-type sweetness. I’ve been interested in this tea in the past, and I’m glad I never bought any for myself. It was very flat for me. I savor and crave complex tea notes, and this was very one-note and boring.

Furthermore, for something with almond slices in it, I tasted no nut qualities in it. I wanted to be confronted with the slightly sweet bit of almond or walnut. Since this is a dessert tea without chocolate (I’m a chocolate sucker) it needed to engage beyond the sweetness it engaged in. since it wasn’t as sweet as I desired from a pastry-themed tea, it needed to taste firmly of great tea. It did not really.

The tea brewed to a gorgeous red-black cup. I know it’s a high quality tea, and it looks and brews like it is. But the flavor profile is uneven and unsophisticated in my opinion.

My sample came from a glorious and amazing box of samples from IfJuly, and I am so appreciative of those samples I can’t really articulate it myself. I’m honored to have been sent so much tea, and I’m hoping I can catch up on a few tasting notes so I can continue to acknowledge IfJuly’s generosity.

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York