My second sample from Tea at Sea!

I was most excited by this sample, as it is the kind of tea I like most, light and black. However, I found this tea to be a bit too light. I brewed it for 4 minutes at boiling, and the tea only ended up a light reddish brown color.

The tea leaves themselves are really beautifully rolled, resembling a gunpowder or an oolong, almost, and when I poured the water on them, they released a pleasant earthy aroma. The tea is both very fragrant and very aesthetically pleasing.

As I mentioned earlier (this is a poorly composed piece of writing…), the tea brewed very light in color, and it is also very light in flavor for me. It’s a good tea, and I love the delicious malty afternotes in the sip, but it’s too soft and too delicate for me to appreciate fully. Even though I like more delicate black teas, I like them to have body, and this tea lacks that crucial element for me.

I still have only done one steeping with this tea. I am going to try for a second. I’ll update my tasting note when I do. Overall, I liked this tea a lot, and I so appreciate the free sample. I drink a lot of similar teas that are more suited for my tastes than this one, and for that reason, I like the Ceylon tea by Tea at Sea a bit more. This is a lovely cup, though, and I’m enjoying it immensely.

This resteeped well, and I got a similar pot of tea for my second steeping! I was finished drinking tea by that point in the day, so I didn’t try for a third pot. I’m not sure how it would hold up, since it was so light to begin with.

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York