I ended up coming home early today; I’m feeling under the weather. When feeling bad, I like to have a reliably good cuppa, so I turned to Brattle Street. The thing worth noting this time, though, is that I sweetened it with a stick of agave nectar from Stash. (http://shopstashtea.com/200123.html) It’s less sweet than the typical agave I use, but very good. I’m putting a few of these in my bag, along with the teabags I carry, for if I need tea while I’m on the go!

JacquelineM

I’d like to hear more about the agave nectar! I’ve never used it before. Is it like honey in taste? Thanks!

laurenpressley

I adore it! It’s a lot like honey, in that it is a thick liquid with a similar color. It comes from the agave plant, though. (I started using it because it’s vegan.) I think it has less of a taste than honey does, so from the ones I’ve tried it’s more like the sweetness you get from sugar—just more sweetness for the same quantity of sweetener. It also has a lower glycemic index, so there’s much less of a sugar high if you’re worried about that type of thing. There’s a bunch of info in wikipedia about it, but also a comparative list at WholeFoods: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/guides/sweeteners.php I hope this helps!

TeaEqualsBliss

I LOVE Agave Nectar!!!!!

JacquelineM

Yes, that helps a lot! I am always looking for sweeteners with a lower glycemic index for my husband. He sometimes uses splenda but I’m so not a fan. No matter what they say, I don’t trust it. We experimented with stevia but didn’t like it. I’m going to try some agave nectar next time I get to the store!! I bet it will be great in Rooibos! Thanks again!!!

Grinnyguy

Get well soon!

Bethany

I loooove agave nectar; it tastes like burnt sugar to me, which is to say it tastes amazing.

Thanks, @Grinnyguy!

Glad to know I’m not alone, @TeaEqualsBliss & @Bethany! :)

Comments

JacquelineM

TeaEqualsBliss

I LOVE Agave Nectar!!!!!

Grinnyguy

Get well soon!

Bethany

Thanks, @Grinnyguy!

Glad to know I’m not alone, @TeaEqualsBliss & @Bethany! :)

a tea drinking librarian
& a reading, yoga practicing, mommy

I’ve been into tea, at some level, since college with a first tin of loose tea brought back by my parents from Oxford. My love of tea increased with a visit to Boston and a chance cup at Tealuxe. Since then I’ve only gotten more interested in tea and have developed more of an appreciation for it.

tea rating guide
(updated 12/2010)

100: a perfect cuppa. these are the teas I’ll keep in my cupboard and tend to be one per type of tea.

90-99: will definitely get more of this tea

80-89: likely to get more and perhaps it will become a favorite with time

70-79: very good, depending on my mood or the season

60-69: wouldn’t actively try to get this tea, but also wouldn’t avoid it in a tea shop or restaurant

50-59: run-of-the-mill tea for me

40-49: decent, would hit the spot in some moods, but probably wouldn’t purchase it for my cupboard

30-39: okay, will try again, maybe