Witches' Brew Chai

Smoke, Spices, Licorice
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 229 ml

From 52teas

Thanks to LiberTEAS for the idea for this blend (and no, I’m certainly not calling her a witch of any sort; that’s just what this blend brings to mind for me). LiberTEAS wanted a smoky chai blend with some additional spices, so we blended some of our premium black tea base with some extra assam and some lapsang souchoung (smoked black tea), ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, star anise, nutmeg and cumin along with some organic flavors.
The result is a smoky, spicy treat that will warm you to your bones. Get yours today while they last.

See everything we currently have in stock at www.zoomdweebies.com

About 52teas View company

How is it that I’m the first to be reviewing this chai?

For those of you out there that love a good, spicy chai … you MUST try this! It’s a little bit smoky, but not too much, it’s warm and spicy and there’s a lovely licorice snap to it. It’s got a solid background of tea flavor that is rich and malty and the smoky notes of the Lapsang come out to play … and the smoke accentuates the cumin in a really nice way.

I LOVE this chai. It’s better than the gingerbread chai, Frank! Your best chai yet!

I couldn’t resist a smoky chai! The chai blends from 52Teas are usually very nice. This is! This one in particular has big chunks of star anise and cumin! But this tea is so sweet, how could it be a witches’ brew? I actually prefer more smokiness to my smoky teas, but this is a light, sweet smoky. The smoke it just noticeable enough not to scare away those who usually might not like smoky teas. It adds depth to the blend. It’s the perfect smoky tea to try anyway. The chai spices are nice of course!

Got this tea as part of Marzipan’s tea stash sale!

This was a tiny pouch from 52 Tea’s 12 Days of Christmas advent calendar. I should have read the reviews of the reblend, because they were totally right. This reblend is a no go.

I like savory teas. I could even say that I really like savory teas. But each sip of this tea was followed by a ‘huh.’ First two sips all I could taste was strong tea and cumin. As it began to slowly cool, all I tasted was cumin. It was like licking an old jar of spice. I didn’t even get anything remotely like chai spices.

Ew. Sorry Marzi. This one is not for me, but maybe for the rubbish bin.

tea-sipper

Aw, the original pouch of this was really nice.

LiberTEAS

Sorry to hear that the reblend wasn’t as good as the original. :(

TheLastDodo

I know! I got really excited about the idea of this tea.

52teas’ 12 Teas of Christmas Day 8! (Drank Dec. 8)
Oh dear…. this one’s spicy. Like, REALLY spicy. I opened up the packet (a black with cinnamon chunks and tiny bits of flavouring or as I now know, spices), and it is POTENT. Not even chai spice; it smells more like…. doritos minus the cheese? Like Mexican spicing? Bleh….

A few more sniffs, and I’m noticing some creaminess, and my roommate pointed out that it’s smoky (it’s obvious, but I got lost in the spices apparently), and it smells like cumin. Ugh. It tastes like smoky cumin. NOT flavours I want in a tea. No no no. Apparently it’s Witches’ Brew Chai – I never would have guessed that. I’m wondering if something is off with this reblend, because all the reviews are favourable, but this is a cup of smoky-cumin-never-again. It’s too savoury, and the only noticeable spice is cumin. Dumped part of the cup; wasn’t worth it.

I’m not going to lie, I was confused and a little disappointed to see this as day 8 in the 12 Teas of Christmas box. Confused because this definitely doesn’t say ‘Christmas’ to me – it actually screams ‘Halloween’ – and disappointed because I already own this one. Oh well.

Right from opening the pack, I could tell that this reblend was way different to the original pouch I have. The smokiness is a lot more pungent, and there is no ‘cola’ scent which I noted the first time around. It smells very savoury.

The flavour is pretty similar to the scent, savoury chai with a fairly strong smokiness. It’s not really for me, but looking back at my previous tasting note it seems that this reblend is what I expected from this tea the first time around! A much better match for the name, but a much less enjoyable cup for me.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Oh yeah, what a strange choice for an advent calendar!

I received this tea from Marzipan in her 52 teas sampler. It’s very different from any other Chai that I have tasted before.

This was a “Smokey” chai. I did taste a bit of smoke flavor. After adding a bit of almond milk and some honey it was perfect! So good that I drank two cups.

Flavors: Smoke, Spices

1 tsp 9 OZ / 266 ML

I am a huge chai fan, and this one was pretty good. It is smokier than most of the others I lean toward, and has the added layer of anise. However, I am not a huge liquorice fan. If you are, this one will be right up your alley.

Oh, the irony has not escaped me. A witch making a tea named Witch’s Brew. LOL. Yes it would be a lot more appropriate for it to be Halloween or at least Fall (Most people seem to agree that Chai’s are definitely a Fall tea.) But I had an urge for a black tea to start off with today (I woke up around 10:30 but for some reason could not get myself off my behind to the kitchen to make tea before now.) and this is what my hand fell on.

Smell wise-Very Licorice-y. In fact when I was sniffing it last night I kept thinking it smelled like the licorice flavor Jujubees, which I have not eaten in years due to various things (Like preferring other candies like JellyBellies.)

Tastewise-I am not a huge fan of licorice and the last tea I had that had licorice was kind of weird and a bit gross. But in this….I like it. I’m considering going against my earlier plan of drinking the rest of the samples I had pulled out to have yesterday, today and tomorow and having a cup of Butterbeer, which I did not care for the few times I had it, but want to try again because otherwise I should give it away or pitch out-just taking up space in my cupboard otherwise.

So, if Frank were to reblend it, I would seriously consider buying a bag.

LOL. Since I read the tasting notes and description and ingredients in this tea and noticed that it has Lapsang Souchong in it, I am now thinking I taste an after taste of LS, I wonder if I really do or if it’s the power of suggestion?

**Note**1 About my calling myself a witch, no not talking down about myself, it is how I identify more or less, though I usually prefer Pagan or Spiritual with Pagan inclinations ;) Just for clarification, ya’all!

**Note**2 For future references, should drink this kind of fast as it doesn’t taste that great cooling down, which seems to be a characteristic of Chai blends.

Flavors: Licorice