Witches' Brew Chai

Black Chai Blend
Smoke, Spices, Licorice
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 226 ml

• “How is it that I'm the first to be reviewing this chai? For those of you out there that love a good, spicy chai ... you MUST try this! It's a little bit smoky, but not too much, it's warm and...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4624 tasting notes
  • “I couldn't resist a smoky chai! The chai blends from 52Teas are usually very nice. This is! This one in particular has big chunks of star anise and cumin! But this tea is so sweet, how could it...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1520 tasting notes
  • “52teas' 12 Teas of Christmas Day 8! (Drank Dec. 8) Oh dear…. this one's spicy. Like, REALLY spicy. I opened up the packet (a black with cinnamon chunks and tiny bits of flavouring or as I now know,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2604 tasting notes
  • “Last but not least! My final tea of the *Halloween Tea Marathon*! I fell asleep before I got the chance to write this one up last night, but I want to get it out of the way all the same. I...” Read full tasting note
    NatalieOgden 79 tasting notes

From 52teas

Thanks to LiberTEAS for the idea for this blend (and no, I’m certainly not calling her a witch of any sort; that’s just what this blend brings to mind for me). LiberTEAS wanted a smoky chai blend with some additional spices, so we blended some of our premium black tea base with some extra assam and some lapsang souchoung (smoked black tea), ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, star anise, nutmeg and cumin along with some organic flavors.
The result is a smoky, spicy treat that will warm you to your bones. Get yours today while they last.

See everything we currently have in stock at www.zoomdweebies.com

About 52teas View company

How is it that I’m the first to be reviewing this chai?

For those of you out there that love a good, spicy chai … you MUST try this! It’s a little bit smoky, but not too much, it’s warm and spicy and there’s a lovely licorice snap to it. It’s got a solid background of tea flavor that is rich and malty and the smoky notes of the Lapsang come out to play … and the smoke accentuates the cumin in a really nice way.

I LOVE this chai. It’s better than the gingerbread chai, Frank! Your best chai yet!

I couldn’t resist a smoky chai! The chai blends from 52Teas are usually very nice. This is! This one in particular has big chunks of star anise and cumin! But this tea is so sweet, how could it be a witches’ brew? I actually prefer more smokiness to my smoky teas, but this is a light, sweet smoky. The smoke it just noticeable enough not to scare away those who usually might not like smoky teas. It adds depth to the blend. It’s the perfect smoky tea to try anyway. The chai spices are nice of course!

52teas’ 12 Teas of Christmas Day 8! (Drank Dec. 8)
Oh dear…. this one’s spicy. Like, REALLY spicy. I opened up the packet (a black with cinnamon chunks and tiny bits of flavouring or as I now know, spices), and it is POTENT. Not even chai spice; it smells more like…. doritos minus the cheese? Like Mexican spicing? Bleh….

A few more sniffs, and I’m noticing some creaminess, and my roommate pointed out that it’s smoky (it’s obvious, but I got lost in the spices apparently), and it smells like cumin. Ugh. It tastes like smoky cumin. NOT flavours I want in a tea. No no no. Apparently it’s Witches’ Brew Chai – I never would have guessed that. I’m wondering if something is off with this reblend, because all the reviews are favourable, but this is a cup of smoky-cumin-never-again. It’s too savoury, and the only noticeable spice is cumin. Dumped part of the cup; wasn’t worth it.

Last but not least! My final tea of the Halloween Tea Marathon!

I fell asleep before I got the chance to write this one up last night, but I want to get it out of the way all the same. I actually have a deadline today, which I should be working on rather than writing up tasting notes, so it’ll have to be quick.

When I first opened the package, I was surprised with how sweet this tea smelled. All of the ingredients suggest it should smell deep, smokey and almost savoury, but what I actually smell is… Cola?? This really confused me at the time, all now I’m thinking it must have been the star anise which everyone else has more accurately managed to identify as liquorice. I neither smelled nor tasted liquorice, but that’s okay with me as I’m not a fan. The cola scent died down a lot once steeped, but I could still detect it. I could also not pick up the lapsang in the dry leaf, but it is definitely there at the back of the sip when drinking. There is no cola flavour, mainly a sort of sweet, spiced chai with a smoky background. I drank this with milk and a sweetener, which mellowed it out well.

So that’s it! I am now free to write about non-spooky teas (and maybe start thinking about Christmas)! But first, I have to get this work done…

I received this tea from Marzipan in her 52 teas sampler. It’s very different from any other Chai that I have tasted before.

This was a “Smokey” chai. I did taste a bit of smoke flavor. After adding a bit of almond milk and some honey it was perfect! So good that I drank two cups.

Flavors: Smoke, Spices

1 tsp 9 OZ / 266 ML

I am a huge chai fan, and this one was pretty good. It is smokier than most of the others I lean toward, and has the added layer of anise. However, I am not a huge liquorice fan. If you are, this one will be right up your alley.

Oh, the irony has not escaped me. A witch making a tea named Witch’s Brew. LOL. Yes it would be a lot more appropriate for it to be Halloween or at least Fall (Most people seem to agree that Chai’s are definitely a Fall tea.) But I had an urge for a black tea to start off with today (I woke up around 10:30 but for some reason could not get myself off my behind to the kitchen to make tea before now.) and this is what my hand fell on.

Smell wise-Very Licorice-y. In fact when I was sniffing it last night I kept thinking it smelled like the licorice flavor Jujubees, which I have not eaten in years due to various things (Like preferring other candies like JellyBellies.)

Tastewise-I am not a huge fan of licorice and the last tea I had that had licorice was kind of weird and a bit gross. But in this….I like it. I’m considering going against my earlier plan of drinking the rest of the samples I had pulled out to have yesterday, today and tomorow and having a cup of Butterbeer, which I did not care for the few times I had it, but want to try again because otherwise I should give it away or pitch out-just taking up space in my cupboard otherwise.

So, if Frank were to reblend it, I would seriously consider buying a bag.

LOL. Since I read the tasting notes and description and ingredients in this tea and noticed that it has Lapsang Souchong in it, I am now thinking I taste an after taste of LS, I wonder if I really do or if it’s the power of suggestion?

**Note**1 About my calling myself a witch, no not talking down about myself, it is how I identify more or less, though I usually prefer Pagan or Spiritual with Pagan inclinations ;) Just for clarification, ya’all!

**Note**2 For future references, should drink this kind of fast as it doesn’t taste that great cooling down, which seems to be a characteristic of Chai blends.

Flavors: Licorice