Small Tribute Cake

Pu Erh Tea Leaves
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Javan
Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 7 g 8 oz / 250 ml

• “I have to admit it was kind of a shock for my palette to go from Almond Sugar Cookie to this... lol. But see, I don't discriminate, I drink almost anything. :) First steep - this is very nice...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes
  • “This is a lovely ripe pu-erh still available on Amazon.com and direct from bana teas in Feb. 2014. Tea brews a beautiful dark mahogany color with hints of orange, taste is extremely mellow/gentle...” Read full tasting note
    javan 33 tasting notes

From Bana Tea Company

Weight: 200 grams
Type: Ripe Pu-erh (fermented)
Grade: 4-6
Production area: Xishuangbanna Prefecture, Yunnan Province

In the old days, tea held in reserve for the emperor was called “Tribute Tea.” Today, Tribute Tea is a synonym for tea derived from premium growth and production method. This clear, amber colored brew offers a clean and subtly sweet flavor, which makes it an ideal drink throughout the day. This tea is expected to become mellower and sweeter as it ages.

About Bana Tea Company View company

I have to admit it was kind of a shock for my palette to go from Almond Sugar Cookie to this… lol. But see, I don’t discriminate, I drink almost anything. :)

First steep – this is very nice for a shu, smooth rich flavor with a bit of sweetness in the finish, but a little dark for this much time. More coffee like than anything. And I probably oversteeped this just a tad for my tastes… it was at least 2 minutes at 208 F but I also lost track of what I was doing.

Then the second steep I did for around 45 seconds and that seemed better. It definitely has a bit of a roasted quality as well as some fruitiness coming through. This one makes me feel kind of mellow and happy – I take that to be a good sign.

Third steep – about the same as the second. This definitely has the quality and richness I have come to expect from a Bana tea but I don’t think there’s anything overly exceptional about it that would make me want to buy an entire cake.

:) sounds good to me

TeaBrat

I’ll send you some if you want the rest of this sample.

Ian

Sounds interesting….. Do you perhaps know of any other teas that give the same effect as/taste similar to coffee?

TeaBrat

Ian – pu-erh is the most like coffee that I know of but it isn’t as bitter as coffee.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Pu-erh is awesome! Amy I got my order in of the Sticky Rice green puerh if you wanted to try it i can send some your way :) also Ian some of the CTC teas that i have been drinking here lately are nice bold teas with a strong maltyness that i would consider almost coffeelike.

sounds like a plan…

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Cool, Im sending some things off friday i’ll get some out to you :)

ashmanra

I have never had a sheng. Recommendations, anyone?

TeaBrat

Both Bana and Verdant Tea have sheng samplers, that is what I would recommend if you’re new to shengs.

K S

@ashmanra, the Ziyun Moacha by Harney is a sheng.

ashmanra

KS – that is true, it is a sheng. I guess what I am looking for is an aged sheng. The descriptions sound amazing. I really enjoy the shu so I think I would like it.

ScottTeaMan

Amy, I can’t remember where, but at some poit we steepies got into a discussion about breaking Pu-erh cakes. Here’s a great video about it from Teavivre-for all who are interested. :))

This is a lovely ripe pu-erh still available on Amazon.com and direct from bana teas in Feb. 2014. Tea brews a beautiful dark mahogany color with hints of orange, taste is extremely mellow/gentle with a touch of woodsy and earthy taste highlighted by citrus notes. I has an overall sense of balance and is what I would consider to be “lovely”. I just ordered a cake after tasting this sample.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 250 ML