Oolong Tea
Honey, Butterscotch, Cinnamon, Toast, Earth, Grapes, Mineral, Wet Rocks
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.

2 Images

• “This Asian Beauty Oolong, also known as Dongfang Meiren,Oriental Beauty or White Tip Oolong, is as complex and evolves in character as great as the variety of its name. It is quite impressive, as...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 136 tasting notes
  • “Wow. This tea is great! My girlfriend asked me if it had honey in it, that's how much that flavor comes through in this tea. Also has some pleasant mineral quality to it but, boy, I really am blown...” Read full tasting note
    Dubalot 27 tasting notes
  • “As a lover of oolong, I tend to shy away from the higher oxidized ones as much as possible. Their flavor has always been weakly barley-esque. The one note teas that might as well be weak black...” Read full tasting note
    thelastdodo 68 tasting notes
  • “So got a sample of this one from *LiberTEAS*! Actually was tempted to buy this one since this company had a great sale last week, but I resisted. Glad I did, because I am not such a fan of this...” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 473 tasting notes

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

Also known as Oriental Beauty, this teas name was given by Queen Elizabeth II of England who considered it a BEAUTIFUL tea! You’ll get hints of honey and cinnamon from this tea. Although an oolong, it is closer to a black tea in taste. It’s light bodied and very smooth. Don’t add anything to it please as this tea is very pleasant and sophisticated.

Location: Xin Zhu county, North-Western Taiwan

Chinese name: 東方美人茶/Dong Fang Mei Ren Cha

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

This Asian Beauty Oolong, also known as Dongfang Meiren,Oriental Beauty or White Tip Oolong, is as complex and evolves in character as great as the variety of its name. It is quite impressive, as it changes with each infusion. There is as much shift in the taste and profile as the weather here in the Midwest. I’m very captivated by this one, to the degree of being very hard to stop drinking it. Cup after cup, there was something new and intriguing.

Let me start by saying the leaf quality is spectacular! There is a varying of size, but most all of the leaves are smaller than the normal larger oolong leaf. There are plenty of very small leaves that are absolutely perfect in their shape and with lots of buds present as well. The leaves resemble a very high grade black tea leaf, with its smaller shape and length. Again, very interesting.

The initial few infusions speak of a certain cranberry tanginess that has a sweet aftertaste – like its been mixed with an orange blossom honey. Very unique and different from other Oriental Beauty teas that I’ve tried. One thing I did noticed as you got past the fist 3 steepings, was its transition in taste to a Second Flush Darjeeling black tea. Very nice! I can certainly see why some would think of this oolong as a black tea.

I know that this may not be the tea for everyone, however I would encourage you to try it and if you don’t really care for it at first…keep drinking! It will change in taste and very well may be one of your favorites.

boychik

im very tempted. very…did you get any free samples with the order?

Pureleaf

On this particular order I did not…however in the past I have. It may have been due to the 25% off Black Friday sale – not sure. You should definitely try these guys – they offer free shipping to all orders in the US. No minimum order requirements. Also, I know you can purchase samples from them. I don’t see this option online, but after contacting them – they can arrange the purchase. Everything I’ve tried (which has been a lot lately, lol), has been awesome.

boychik

thank you so much for recommending this company. i probably will place the order tonight. i’m always on the lookout for good Oriental Beauty. this one seems affordable

Wow. This tea is great! My girlfriend asked me if it had honey in it, that’s how much that flavor comes through in this tea. Also has some pleasant mineral quality to it but, boy, I really am blown away by that honey flavor. Delicious. I got a couple good steepings western style. This company has some great oolongs!

Flavors: Honey

As a lover of oolong, I tend to shy away from the higher oxidized ones as much as possible. Their flavor has always been weakly barley-esque. The one note teas that might as well be weak black teas. This oolong though may be the one to change my mind forever. This higher oxidized oolong has just as much complexity and subtle balance as any of it’s lighter cousins. The dry nose on this copper penny colored brew was light and fruity, like nectarine and honeysuckle. The result brew was a different story. I got a smell of warm cinnamon sugar on buttered multigrain toast. That was a theme that stayed consistent throughout 4 steepings in my gaiwan. On the second infusion I thought I detected a butterscotch element, but I lost it on the rest of the infusions. Oddly enough, I go an acidic smell from the brewed leaves that never transferred itself to the liquor. Lucky me! Although I was not able to brew it as many times as my other lightly oxidized oolong, I did have fun with this one until I got to that mellow black tea quality.

Flavors: Butterscotch, Cinnamon, Honey, Toast

190 °F / 87 °C

So got a sample of this one from LiberTEAS! Actually was tempted to buy this one since this company had a great sale last week, but I resisted.
Glad I did, because I am not such a fan of this cup. I can’t pin point the flavor. It is kinda mineral-y, earthy, kinda grape-y. It is a very weird tea. xD
No flavor is really popping out of this tea. There doesn’t seem to be much of a main flavor. So it’s okay, but just not the best. Glad I got a sample of it instead of wasting my money though!

Flavors: Earth, Grapes, Mineral, Wet Rocks

Zack S.

Did you gongfu brew this or normal western brew?

Ost

Western!

Backlog:

I really enjoyed this Asian Beauty Oolong – and the other teas that I tried from this company as well. Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co. has some wonderful teas!

My full-length article will go into depth about each of the infusions that I experienced from this lovely tea: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/09/03/asian-beauty-oolong-tea-from-beautiful-taiwan-tea-company/

The earliest infusions start out light and refreshing with notes of honey and peach. Notes of wood, earth and spice were also detected. As I continued to infuse this tea, I noticed the woodsy/earthy tones beginning to emerge somewhat. The tea is sweet with the aforementioned notes of honey and peach – and I like that this sweetness remains in the aftertaste. Lovely.

This would be the tea that I’d recommend to someone who is looking for an Oolong that’s a little less floral focused. This has a nice balance of sweet honey notes and peach and not so much of a vegetal or floral taste.

This is a tea from my secret pumpkin Cheri. Thank you.

I think Cheri needs to be my tea shopper. She picked out some amazing teas for me. Sometimes I get in kids where I want to try everything new and I just don’t order things that I really love. It was so neat to get an entire package of teas that look absolutely wonderful. This is my 2nd tea from the box. I am falling head over heals for Oriental Beauty Oolongs. For one this tea resteeps so well. I am sitting here writing this note while I am waiting on western style resteep #5. The first two infusions offered creamy, honey with enough hints to remind you this was an oolong, but the smoothness and depth of black tea. The third and fourth infusions offered the baked bread flavor with dribbles of honey and caramel. This last steep I am tasting bread, and a tad bit of astringency that rounds out the flavor. What a wonderful experience this morning!

I have Butiki’s Oriental Beauty in my cupboard still and I hope to compare the two. I have also added TeaVivre’s Oriental Beauty to my wish list to remind me to pick this up the next time I stop by TeaVivire and it is in stock.

Cheri

I’m so glad you like it. I haven’t tried this one yet, actually. I really like Beautiful Taiwan Teas. They have some outstanding stuff.