Genmaicha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

• “First, *Thank you Obubu Teas* for sending me a sample of this tea. I can use a bunch of fancy words to describe this tea and I will for those who prefer it but really none of that is necessary. ...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “I love Genmaicha so when I received this sample I was very happy to try it. This is a slightly different tasting Genmaicha than some others that I've tried. The tea tastes different - but not...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4315 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging my genmaicha experience. Obubu’s Genmaicha is a flavorful, well-balanced combination of Japanese sencha and roasted sweet mochi rice. The tea it produces is flavorful and light, with...” Read full tasting note
    leafjoy 20 tasting notes
  • “I only had one sample of this, so it's hard to form a strong feeling after just three cups (re-infused twice). However, the genmai is sweeter than other versions I've had. The green tea base...” Read full tasting note
    Shinobi_cha 280 tasting notes

From Obubu Tea

Made with a little bit of luxury, Obubu’s Genmaicha (玄米茶) or Brown Rice Tea is made with 100% Japanese-grown sweet mochi rice combined with our Sencha of the Autumn Moon. The strong, sweet flavor of the roasted brown fills the air as the tea steeps and mixes with the sweetness and bitterness of the sencha to produce a delicious and natural tea.

Product name: Genmaicha (Brown Rice Tea
Ingredients: 100% sweet mochi brown rice grown in Japan; 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
Tea plants: Yabukita plants
Cultivation notes: Open air (uncovered)
Harvest period: June
Processing notes: Lightly steamed (about 120 seconds)
Product size: 1 bag (24.5 x11.5 x2.0 cm / 9.65 x4.53 x0.79 in)
Weight of contents: 100 g / 3.53 oz
Producer: Akihiro Kita
Expiration: Good for 6 months from shipment
Storage: Seal tightly and refrigerate

About Obubu Tea View company

First, Thank you Obubu Teas for sending me a sample of this tea. I can use a bunch of fancy words to describe this tea and I will for those who prefer it but really none of that is necessary. This tea is GOOD, amazing even. I loved it and what’s more my dear husband did to. He has never liked a green tea and he not only liked it but told me he would drink it. I was shocked. If you knew him you would be too.

Fancy Words: Deep full cup. Fresh with a slighly roasted finish. Even had a bit a sweetness. Sophisticated and kept me wanting more so I ordered a bag right away. Delicious!

I love Genmaicha so when I received this sample I was very happy to try it.

This is a slightly different tasting Genmaicha than some others that I’ve tried. The tea tastes different – but not in a bad way, in a very, very good way! I can definitely tell that I’m tasting a sencha rather than a bancha – I can taste the fresh, bittersweet flavor of the sencha. This tastes a little less “roasty-toasty” (bancha has a natural sort of toasted flavor to it, in my opinion) than a typical Genmaicha, and a little more … complex.

The delicate bitter notes add a unique interest to this tea – it isn’t a strong or distasteful bitterness. I would describe it more as a semi-sweet taste rather than a BITTER taste… if that makes sense.

I really like this Genmaicha… a LOT!

Backlogging my genmaicha experience.

Obubu’s Genmaicha is a flavorful, well-balanced combination of Japanese sencha and roasted sweet mochi rice. The tea it produces is flavorful and light, with a wonderfully aromatic smell of roasted rice without a trace of bitterness. There is a slightly sweet, peppery aftertaste that adds layers of depth and complexity to the tea. For my full review and pics: http://www.leafjoy.com/2011/01/review-genmaicha-obubu-tea/

I only had one sample of this, so it’s hard to form a strong feeling after just three cups (re-infused twice).
However, the genmai is sweeter than other versions I’ve had. The green tea base seemed to be somewhat thin, as I couldn’t taste it very strongly, but what I could taste was good. I’ve had a genmaicha where there was far too much genmai for my liking and there might as well have been no tea leaves at all. This wasn’t like that, because even though it seemed thin, the popped rice was good quality and tasted a little sweet.

So far, the bar has been set by 1TTEN’s genmaicha, as that has the most delicious (bancha, I think) tea base that I’ve had. Nevertheless, this is a good one.

A very mild genmaicha. The rice flavoring is nice and lightly toasty. I prefer greener tasting, like Den’s Tea. I’ve been wanting to sample this, since the rice is different than other genmai based teas. Is this sticky rice?

This was a tasty little genmaicha. Satisfyingly roasty, but nice and sweet. It tasted lighter and brighter than others I’ve had.

Wow… this tea smells so nice! It’s a toasted, popcorn scent. The green tea is long and thicker than I’m used to. I had to taste the dry tea as I love to eat the American Tea Room’s genmaicha. It wasn’t as great for eating, unfortunately, and I’m not familiar enough with the different kinds of green tea to be able to point out the difference.

I don’t know the exact temp, boiling, then waited a few minutes for the water to cool down. I steeped it for a while as I wanted it strong. About five minutes. It’s excellent! It’s nutty, rich, not bitter (which I had worried about a bit, being a green.) The green tea is so nice. It’s strong, yet smooth and fresh. It’s a great combination of flavors that create a very different, very delicious type of genmaicha.

Very nice. I think this is only the 3rd genmaicha i’ve had, but this is easily the best. The toasted rice isn’t too overbearing, like has been the case in the previous genmaichas. Very drinkable.