No. 17 Darjeeling, Steinthal FTGFOP1, 2nd Flush

Black Tea Leaves
Almond, Cream, Grass, Herbs, Lemon Zest, Malt, Muscatel, Straw, Toast
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

From Steven Smith Teamaker

The second flush of Darjeeling tea begins high in the Himalayan foothills in late May and lasts about 45 days. Around this time, tea gardens produce teas of wonderfully complex flavors of butter, nuts, flowers and fruits with balanced astringency and a sweet toasty finish. Teas produced during this period have a fuller flavor than teas from first flush.

INGREDIENTS
Second flush Darjeeling FTGFOP1 full leaf teas.

PREPARATION
For best flavor, bring freshly drawn filtered water to a boil. Steep five minutes. Repeat your mantra (if your have one.)

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

OMG… I’ve never tried cold brewing a darjeeling before but it really worked well with this one and brought forth honey like sweetness as well as a lot of fruitiness. I will need to do this again soon!

Veronica

I can’t wait to try this one. I’m hoping to pick it up this weekend.

TeaBrat

If you do, you have to try the cold brew method. ;)

As some of you may know, my nose and mouth were attacked by potpourri, jam, and dirt last night (I conducted a lengthy gongfu session with Verdant’s 1985 Special Grade Qing Xiang Aged Tieguanyin), after which I immediately decided that I should drink something that restored a degree of faith in the tea merchants of the world. In other words, I experienced the wackness and ran screaming into the outstretched arms of an orthodox second flush Darjeeling. I think Thomas Wolfe may have been wrong about that whole not being able to go home again thing, but I could be taking that title too literally.

I prepared this tea Western style. I steeped one rather healthy teaspoon of loose tea leaves in approximately 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. I kept this simple and did not conduct additional infusions.

Prior to infusion, I noted that the dry tea leaves emitted mild aromas of straw, grass, herbs, and Muscat grape. After infusion, the Muscat, herb, grass, and straw aromas intensified and were joined by aromas of roasted almond and toast. In the mouth, I experienced a lovely mix of toast, malt, cream, Muscat, roasted almond, grass, straw, lemon zest, and pungent herb (almost lemon balm and basil-like) notes.

This tea was very, very good. Sometimes it is so nice to return to something with which you are familiar. Prior to my experience with this tea, I do not recall ever trying a tea from the Steinthal Estate. I am hoping that those grassy, lemony, and pungent herb notes are characteristic of their teas. I feel that I could safely recommend this one highly to fans of orthodox Darjeelings.

Flavors: Almond, Cream, Grass, Herbs, Lemon Zest, Malt, Muscatel, Straw, Toast