Pumping Pomegranate

Fruit Herbal Blend
Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by maldororsteagarden

From T2

The essence of the Turkish grand bazaar, this tea will take you on a flavour journey with pumping pomegranate, tangy hibiscus, apple pieces and rosehip along for the ride. A sweet, tangy and mystical flavour with a liquor that brews a bright treat, this tisane is delicious hot or iced, and will get your tastebuds pumping!

About T2 View company

Tropical fruit in the Temperate and Polar zones, strawberries and currants in the tropics, wheat in the Americas, tomatoes and potatoes in the Old World: there’s a lot to be said for the modern day supermarket that allows what was once regional and season food to be available year round and worldwide. As a regular drinker of tea, and a curry addict, I would be the last person to criticise, but there has been something lost in contrast to what has been gained. There is a part of me that longs for the time when spices like pepper and cloves, or fruits like pomegranates and bananas, or other consumables like tobacco, could invoke a sense of the exotic, of faraway places like the glittering cities of Arabian Nights or fading lithographs of Cairo and Calcutta.

Which brings me ratherly neatly to this fruit tea by T2. Pomegranates were something I had never tried until recently, but was aware of from Greek mythology and Persian cuisine. The first time I tried it was when I went berserk in a spice store in London and spent about 100 pounds on various spices including dried pomegranate seeds. Unfortunately, the one or two occasions I had bought a pomegranate, it was so tasteless and colourless that I threw it out. An Iranian flatmate a couple of years ago had given me a small bottle of pomegranate molasses which I used in various pilafs and salads not just for its sweet and sour taste but also for its hint of the exotic east.

The description on the box says “The essence of the Turkish grand bazaar . . . a sweet, tangy and mystical flavour” which was enough to sell me. Sitting here nursing a glass, it got me thinking how even two or three generations back, my Scottish or Russian ancestors would never taste or perhaps even heard of foreign flavours like pomegranates, almonds, chillies, etc.

This tea is such a beautiful, deep red. There is the ubiquitous rosehip which I imagine is for the colour as much as the Vitamin C. Does it actually have a taste of its own? There is a full-bodies flavour, a touch of sweetness and a nice little tang of sourness. I wouldn’t mind a little bit more sourness to balance out the sweetness, but I realise a lot of people will refuse to drink anything that is bitter or sour whereas I quite enjoy having a range of strong flavours throughout my day – I can’t think of anything worse than the usual bland sweetness of the modern diet.

I really hope that there is something similar in the US and Europe, but for everyone in Australia this tea is worth trying. It makes a nice counterpart to Hibiscus tea, or lemon tea when you need a change from black or green tea.

Boiling 8 min or more

I really enjoyed this tea, if you’re quite new to fruit melanges like me – this might be a great place to start.

Its description is quite apt – it’s very tangy, a little bit tart but it has some definite sweet notes in the middle. The strongest flavours are the apple and pomegranate, with the rosehip and hibiscus lingering in the aftertaste. It has a lovely purple magenta colour when poured and smells absolutely gorgeous.

I had it black (or, pink) and while I know the tartness of the apple wouldn’t suit everyone, I adored it and will definitely drink this tea again.

Amelia sent me this lovely tea all the way from New Zealand, it is amazing! I’m currently really into pomegranate, and she somehow picked it without knowing it. It’s light and fruity, I really enjoyed it iced (haven’t tried it hot yet). A wonderful summer tea!

Flavors: Fruity

Iced 5 min, 0 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

This tea is better cold than hot. Its very fruity and summery. Shame it is not ethically sourced.

1 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

This was the first ever iced tea that I actually liked! It’s opened up a whole new world for me with iced teas. I adore the fruity flavours and always have it made in the fridge, even in winter. Once cooled, I like to add slices of kiwi fruit and strawberries. Gives it that little extra sweetness that some sugar addicts in my family think it lacks. Personally I find it just sweet enough, if left to steep for at least 10 minutes.

8 min or more

One of my favourite iced teas. This needs no sugar at all, the fruit is enough to make this tea incredibly refreshing and tasty. Definitely a summer staple.