Sumatra Oolong Barisan (860)

Oolong Tea
Grass, Green Melons, Mushrooms
Edit tea info Last updated by cultureflip

From TeaGschwendner

This delicate, high quality Oolong from Indonesia is comparable to the best Green Oolongs from Taiwan. Skilled processing and high-altitude cultivation delivers a fragrantly floral, jade-green color. The taste is a mild grassiness that gives way to lush, buttery floral and vanilla notes sure to make a lasting impression on your palate.

About TeaGschwendner View company

Used one large teaspoon in a gaiwan. Water was boiled and left to cool for a minute or two.
I quickly rinsed the leaves, then set about on this tea adventure!
(Steeps are one cup at a time)
Dry leaves: Tightly rolled and green. Floral and a bit sweet.
First steep: Buttery floral aroma. A bit grassy in taste, but moving toward wonderful oolong smoothness.
Second steep: The aroma has become less grassy and more floral. The flavour, too, is lighter, but with a heavier mouthfeel that I did not notice before. Notes that are somewhat fruity appear in the aftertaste.
Third steep: Two minutes for this steep does not seem to have been enough. Put back for another minute prepares the tea for drinking. Very lightly floral, with a smooth butteryness all about the tea.

This might finally be one of those oolong you all brag about ;) Leaves cant be compared to those i’ve had before. These are beautiful. Long twirled in little balls.

Even this one smells slightly like the other two i had these days from TeaGschwender dragon well and kukicha. Idk how come. Maybe they all came from the same region or something. Even tho this one would be expected to come from Sumatra hehe.

I’m starting with the second steep this time. Color is quite bright yellow to greenish. Doesn’t taste like usual oolongs at all. Idk how to explain the taste. Let me try the first steeped tea. Feels very under steeped. I should have probably put more oolong in it or steep it longer. Right now i find it very undefinable.

It’s very mild. Even if it was a white tea i’d say it too mild. And i’m getting taste of what feels like chloride which i don’t like. I used water from the sink. Maybe its the bad water day. Hope so. Hope it’s not in the tea. No rating cuz im too confuzzled at the moment about this one.

Another great Oolong to try: http://is.gd/dzoJR

It seems the people at TeaGschwendner already have a knack for accurate descriptions of their teas so here’s a poem . . .

A gentile rainfall
through translucent garden mist.
Moss grows on a cloud.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Like your poem for tea description

~lauren.

Inspired! :)

cultureflip

i counted the syllables on my fingers

Shelli Meyer

This is my favorite tea at the moment. Lovely poem!

I’ve heard many stories where the tea obsessed receive undrinkable tea from friends as gifts.. lucky for me, my friends have amazing taste. This tea was a gift from a friend a while back and it’s phenomenal. A buttery, light oolong with a bit of grassiness. The flavor description on the bag is spot on.

This tea is almost bursting with flavor, yet its flavor profile is still what I would call “delicate.” I know that seems like a contradiction in terms, but bear with me. It’s definitely an oolong — it has that toasty, sweet note you get in most oolongs — but it’s lighter than a Formosa oolong and not that far off from being a green tea; there’s a bit (but not a lot) of grassy, vegetal goodness in there as well. The color in the cup is yellow, similar to a green tea. It’s just a wonderful flavor; I’ve purchased this one several times, and it’s become a staple in my tea cabinet. It always delivers what I’m looking for when I want a light (but not weak) oolong that goes with just about anything. It’s great to serve with dessert, but also delicious with any type of Asian meal.

I’ve noticed a few reviews stating the tea is too weak. I suggest brewing it a bit longer. I think you need to brew it for at least three minutes; as for me, I always brew it for four minutes, at a slightly lower temperature than the label advises (the label says 194, I brew it at 180), to really bring out the flavors.

This is actually an awersome oolong – kudos to TeaGschwendner with this one!

great green oolong.
large, dark green leaves, which need much space! even in the dry state a attractive fragrant.
the infusion smells like summer, with vanilla, mango an litschi notes. has a fresh, green and fruity taste. even after the third infusion still an enjoyable.

Definitely a very green oolong, with some green tea astringency. Some subtle floral notes that are quite nice, remindng me of jasmine. I think I may have used a little too much tea, which might be why it is relatively astringent. Either way, still very good. Slight (delicious) buttery aftertaste once it gets cold.

This is an exceptional Oolong experience. TeaGwchwedner notes its color as being “jade-green”, which I disagree with as in my steeping the cup was a light golden yellow (like a distant mid-day view of a face of Khufu through light blown dust). Brilliant floral notes jump out of the cup and invite you into the mild sweet butter and soft grassy palate with hints of mint and vanilla. The tea closes with a lingering finish and very mild astringency that seems to transform the floral notes into a subtle berry-fruitiness and slight acidity that balances the experience nicely.

Light, fragrant and complex… this is what world-class Oolong is. Perhaps not an everyday tea at the price, but well worth trying and the possibility for multiple steeping stretches the value considerably.

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 30 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML