Cherry Vanilla Ala Mode

Fruit Herbal Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teas Etc

This naturally caffeine free rooibos is ultra smooth and creamy.

Subtle cherry flavor with a hint of vanilla leaves a lingering of sweetness and a satisfying texture.

The last sip will leave you wanting the next.

Cherry Vanilla Ala Mode Tea Type: Rooibos

Ingredients: Rooibos, sour cherry, lemon grass, flavor, vanilla pieces, sunflower petals

About Teas Etc View company

Direct trade quality loose leaf tea for more than a decade. World Tea Championship winners in 2008 & 2009. USDA Certified Organic. Based in US with buying office in China.

I got this tea not because I thought I’d like it, but because I thought that having lemongrass in a cherry tea was weird and that intrigued me.

It smells like tart cherries with a little fake cherry sucker on a wooden stick. The taste is fairly similar to the smell but with a dash of cherry Crème Saver thrown in – you know, those fruit and ‘cream’ candy LifeSavers? (Or were the pink ones strawberry? I dunno, I always got the orange ones.) Anyway, it tastes like that. With a bit of wood, like how a popsicle tastes when you are right up to the wooden stick. But sometimes I pick up some of that sourness that I dislike so in rooibos. So maybe the Crème Saver popsicle is really old and the wood is going bad in spots.

Anyway, I don’t really get the lemongrass. Though if I close my eyes and imagine a bit, I start think it comes through in a kind of fresh top layer the tea seems to have. The Crème Savers certainly didn’t leave that fresh feeling in my mouth.

So yeah, this basically tastes like supermarket candy. On a old stick. Which doesn’t sound that positive, but I will say that I liked the second half of my cup (once it had cooled) more than the first since all the tastes seemed to meld better and become smoother. So it was a fresh, smooth Crème Saver on a stick.

“So maybe the Crème Saver popsicle is really old and the wood is going bad in spots.” ~ Yummy

Rooibos usually gives me rotten wood tastes, so the fact that the popsicle stick was only bad in spots is a… good thing? :)

Yea, the rotten wood taste it what has been scaring me off of rooibos. I have been on the lookout for rooibos blends that do not taste like that.

Yeah, rooibos is a hit or miss thing for me… more miss usually. Tea Etc’s Coconut Custard is one that makes me happy, but they are out of stock until mid-July. Boo. I like Lupicia’s Rooibos Green, which makes me almost think of chamomile and has zero woodness. Anyway, I’m with you – on the look out for non-sour rooibos. They are rare beasties!

No Rooibos will ever live up to my expectations after that Coconut Custard Rooibos. Sigh. This tea is just ok for me. The smell of the dry leaves is a little cough syrupy which made me afraid to try it. The smell brewed is more like a cherry sucker from the bank. Taste-wise, I get a lot of Rooibos flavor. The cherry is a background flavor and the vanilla is subtle and just rounds out the tea. It is ‘creamy’ but I kind of want more cherry and vanilla.

As it cools, I am getting more of the cherry sucker from the bank flavor.

Wow: mega childhood flashback from your description of the sucker from the bank :)

Ha ha, the cherry sucker description is spot-on :)

Those cherry lollipops! I remember those! This was before ATM’s, and my mom would drive up through the drive-thru at the bank (especially during cold snowy days in Upstate NY) and the teller would always end the transaction with those lollipops for me and my sister! They would always appear there in that metal tube slot thingy.

Great memory! My kids can never believe that banks actually gave away suckers. My favorite flavor was always root beer and I was never crazy for the cherry ones as I always associated the cherry ones w/cough syrup like you described..

Liz – does that mean you like it?? :)

Ha, actually no- as it turns out, but it does suggest that I’d have liked it when I was 7.

Medium cherry flavor that is much tamer than the smell. Nice clean finish.