Tai Ping Hou Kui - Monkey Picked Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Asparagus, Chestnut, Green Beans, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Lisa Lin @Teasenz

• “First of all, the leaf of this is like nothing I've ever seen before. Long flat leaves ranging from about 2-3" long. Almost translucent in some parts, and delicate. I've never had a monkey picked...” Read full tasting note
    Mandyyyy 229 tasting notes
  • “Soft asparagus start, mild astringency that offers classic chinese green chestnut taste. Not really complex, but I've never had this tea before so I don't really know what to look for!” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 147 tasting notes

From teasenz

Possibly China’s most luxurious gift tea. The monkey picked tea (tai ping hou kui in Chinese) won the 2004 King of Tea award. The tea’s long, flat, and straight dry leaves become larger when brewed, almost like flower petals dancing in the cup. The Monkey King has a mellow aroma reminiscent of orchids, making it a very soothing tea. In 2007, Chinese president Hu Jintao presented this tea as a gift to President Vladimir Putin. Mellow, soothing and rejuvenating.

About teasenz View company

First of all, the leaf of this is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Long flat leaves ranging from about 2-3" long. Almost translucent in some parts, and delicate. I’ve never had a monkey picked tea before, so I don’t know if this is the norm, but it’s beautiful. And the smell smells just like all my favorite green teas, deliciously vegetal.

Brewed up, this is a pale pistachio color. The flavors are very soft and delicate, gently caressing you taste buds with light asparagus and green bean like flavors. The second steep provides a darker, deeper asparagus flavor complemented by a soft chestnut flavor. As it cools it develops a slightly floral hint at the edges.

This was an absolute delight, and one I’ll have to restock on.

Flavors: Asparagus, Chestnut, Green Beans, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Soft asparagus start, mild astringency that offers classic chinese green chestnut taste. Not really complex, but I’ve never had this tea before so I don’t really know what to look for!