Travel to India

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Barbara

• “This was an extra sample from a swap with Barbara78, thank you so much, oh it was a lovely surprise. One I had to try at once. I was in a total chai phase a couple months ago (cappuccino frother...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 330 tasting notes
  • “Have you ever seen Hell's Kitchen? There always is an episode in which the candidates have to taste various dishes blindfolded. More often than not de candidates can't even recognize the most...” Read full tasting note
    Barbara78 59 tasting notes

From THE O DOR

Why do we always have to seek elsewhere? Why is it constantly better than at home? One day, I set down my luggage without undoing them…Ready to depart again for some search of undefined desires that overwhelm me… Is it after a perfume, a culture or an other way of life? Simplicity can be blazing like the Indian spices. What if I could find all of that in my Parisian comfortable place? I am afraid you can’t understand.

Ideal brewing time: 4 to 6’

Water temperature: 90°C (194°F)

Ingredients according to tin: balck tea, flavours of spices masala, cut vanilla.

About THE O DOR View company

I was in a total chai phase a couple months ago (cappuccino frother included) which seems to be abating – I decided to brew this western style instead in order to judge better.

And it is a great chai while being very different from my till-now definitive chai (Chandernagor). Like it, it has cloves! I love cloves in chai, it can add an extra dimension to all the other spices. Here it is more subtle. I can detect cinnamon as well, and ginger definitely. As well as vanilla. It is a perfectly balanced tea. Barbara found chocolate-like notes on it, I did not but must brew it again.

I am finding a certain quality to Thé-o-dor´s flavoured black teas, something I am struggling to describe but which I find very enjoyable, a certain on-the-exact edge balance of flavours with tea, nothing ever too strong nor too weak, a certain “just right”. And this is another winner!

Have you ever seen Hell’s Kitchen? There always is an episode in which the candidates have to taste various dishes blindfolded. More often than not de candidates can’t even recognize the most ordinary foods. That’s how I’m feeling now.

I smell the tea and think to myself: I know these smells, but can’t name them. Apart from that, I seem to smell something chocolate-ish, but according to the list of ingredients on the tin it isn’t or shouldn’t be in there…? I’ve browsed the net but can’t find any further specification. If I ever missed the full ingrients list on the website of The O Dor…

It smells sweet and spicey. The sweet will probably be the vanilla, although I don’t really recognize it as such. It melds very nicely with the more spicey spices in there, amongst which clove (and assuming vanilla is officially also a spice?). Perhaps that it is the combination that gives the chocolate-ish feel.

The base consists of a medium bodied black tea which balances nicely with the spices.

All in all a keeper!

cteresa

using my search trick they say "
TRAVEL TO INDIA
Flavoured black tea with major notes of Indian spices and vanilla."

hmph, that is only slightly helpful! You are making me curious about this one, spice mixes can be so very diffrent! Did you ever smell Theodor´s Baya rooibos mix? rooibos with ylang and nutmeg, an extraordinary combination – I kept choosing other teas and the store in the meanwhile closed so never actually had it, but it is on my wishlist for one day.

Barbara

Yeah, and that info already was on the tin. :-) Never tried (or even hear of) Theodor’s Baya. Ylang and nutmeg indeed sound extrodinary and if it wheren’t Theordor I would say not in a good way…

PS: I’ve put a little bit with your package so you can try a cup. I’m curious what you’ll make of it.

cteresa

Oh thank you! You did not have to, though of course will be happy to try it!