Roasted Oolong (ZO20)

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Mineral, Smooth, Toasty, Wood, Campfire, Cocoa, Coffee, Mocha, Smoke, Chocolate, Roasted
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Upton Tea Imports

This tea begins as a classic, medium-oxidized Tie-Guan-Yin, processed in the traditional style. It is finished and cured with a slow firing in bamboo baskets over a charcoal fire. The result is a tea with smooth, rich and inviting character.

Steeping Suggestions: -
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 190°
Steep Time: 3-4 min

About Upton Tea Imports View company

This tea is actually one of my top 5 favorites, I really like it very nice and toasty and it gives me great pleasure and enjoyment but today I did not enjoy it as I usually do but I think that has to do with my Water first then my mood and my surroundings and situation, I usually enjoy it(and all of my teas)with only filtered water heated in my kettle or on the stovetop out of my Roasty Oolong cup and in the comfort of my own home with a book or some tv or just sitting alone or with Lance. This time we are in the hospital my water had to be microwaved(no other choice)I do have my Roasty Oolong cup but my hubby is sick and we are stuck up here and i have bad microwaved water and this couch is NOT mine so this just isn’t the best situation. I thought this tea would make this situation better and I am still glad to have a not so great cup of it rather than none at all but it worked out opposite instead of this tea making this situation more pleasurable This situation made this tea less pleasurable. I’m not complaining I’d just love to have a good cup of tea right now and “not good” water makes for “not good” Tea and this is just saddening, Sitting in the dark with not so good cup of tea hurts my feelings, still glad to have it tho.

Do you ever think about something only to see a perfect example immediately after? I was just think about how we all take what we have for granted until we do without it…. and then we cherish it tenfold when we get it back. Humans are strange…. we become accustomed to our surroundings and situations so that no matter how perfect…. or terrible things are going, we seem to adapt. I suppose the emotional fluxations within our lives are really vital for us to simply “feel”. Anyway, hope Lance feels better man.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Thank you he is actually doing alot better. Good point there, Humans are very strange I’ll never understand them lol but really you are right we need things like this in our lives tho I’m not sure why perhaps it is so that we can simply feel, that make sense to me.

Hope Lance feels better and that you get a good cup of tea.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

The doctor is just now here talking to him for the very first time after being here since tuesday, hopefully he can get out soon, hes just in pain but maybe now the doctor will get on it better. So hopefully very soon :)

I like the roasted flavor on this one. It’s not as aggressive as some of the others I’ve tried but really seems to make for a sweeter tea. I feel like I’ve got brown sugar in my cup. There is a nice dry vegetal note which blends nicely with the brown sugar sweetness. A very smooth, well behaved cup.

I love the way this one looks even!

hehe it does have cute little twists.

Tommy The Toad sent me a good deal of this a while back and it seemed to slip thru the cracks! Eeek! Sorry about that!

This sort of tastes like roasted cocoa and oolong with a bit of mineral rock type flavor to it. It’s smooth yet rich, crisp, and sweet!

This is darn tasty! Thanks TTT!

I love this oolong. It’s the kind of oolong that reminds me of sitting in a Chinese restaurant drinking cup after cup of tea. I was worried what it was roasted and thought it would be smoky verging on bbq but it is not all. There might be a little smokiness in the background but it is not a big component. There is a bit of peach and jasmine flavors. There is no grassiness in the taste. The smell is a little smoky and a little vegetal. Really a nice oolong.

I’m gonna save the rest of this sample for stir-fry dinner later in the week (and I’ll pull out the chopsticks too).

I got this as a sample when I ordered some supplies from Upton. I think I will order more of this one.

Lightly smokey and toasty. Yum! This is a great oolong for people who love genmaicha or hojicha.

Update: Second steep is even better than the first. Loving this tea.

I get an earthy mineral taste that reminds me of the hot springs my family would hang out at up in the mountains when I was younger. Then I get a faint light-roast coffee aftertaste, which was a little stronger on smell. I dont detect much of the boiled spinach-water taste I seem to pick up in many greens and oolongs, which is always a plus. Good stuff.

I just finished off the last of this tea, and since it was one of the first teas I bought, I thought it would be fitting to review it. This is my favorite oolong from Upton, it’s very smooth with a toasty feel to it. I’ve drank it both western and gongfu and can’t say I have a preference, but the western method brings out the toasted taste more.

For the price I think it’s one of the better teas I bought from Upton in general.

Flavors: Mineral, Smooth, Toasty

I really enjoyed the smoky flavor and smell of this tea. It was actually reminiscent of coffee or hot chocolate. It was nice and smooth while being full-bodied. It was not astringent or grassy.

Flavors: Campfire, Cocoa, Coffee, Mocha, Smoke, Smooth

It’s roasted, nutty and mineral. Very smooth, doesn’t develop much. Dark liquor. I brewed it gongfu style. I don’t see a date anywhere on the package or site so don’t know when it’s from.

an amazing tea!

although I’ve had this tea before, i have noticed a taste/aroma that i have not noticed before. CHOCOLATE! this is due to a lack of understanding on what chocolate tastes like in tea. i let it steep strong!

when i smell the leaves dry, they smell nice and chocolaty.

when i smell the leaves wet, they smell nice, chocolaty and roasted/toasty.

when i smell the brewed tea, i notice a chocolate and roasted/toasty smell

when i taste the brewed tea, my love is re-kindled! chocolate and roasted/toasty!

i rate this tea a 100 because i remember this is one of the first oolongs I’ve ever tried and i love it!

Flavors: Chocolate, Roasted, Toasty

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 30 sec 15 g 250 OZ / 7393 ML

I always get muddled up with chocolate notes! Even worse when I can’t decide if its cacao or chocolate! (if you haven’t tried it you really should!)

i thought they were the same? i guess i have not tried it

Same plant, different part of the plant. Slightly different taste