Russian Caravan

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Stoggler

From Whittard of Chelsea

A delightful blend of medium-strong Chinese Yunnan province tea with a warming flavour from the naturally sweet China leaves and a hint of Assam-style maltiness which is otherwise unknown in China. It is the name originally given to China tea imported across Russia by the camel caravan into Europe.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

Thank you adagio breeze for this sample.

Watching series 2 of Luther and going through some samples to help clear my cupboard. Served this tea with only a drop of soy milk.

Flavour is softer than expected with a slight smokiness and malted with little to no astringency or harshness. A little too weak for me, I used 1tsp of leaves so next time I will try it with 1.5tsp or maybe even 2tsp and see how it bares as a breakfast tea. Still it’s an average Russian Caravan blend and worth trying.

Lately I just haven’t felt up to evaluating tea, so I’ve been sticking mainly to my old reliable strong bagged black + soymilk + sugar. But now we’re in the throes of a cold snap and I’m drinking cup after cup to keep warm, so I figured it was about time I tried a loose tea from my stash that I haven’t reviewed.

I still don’t have the vocabulary to describe this one, but I really like it! “Earthy” is probably a good word for it. It’s smooth and kind of sweet and savory at the same time, and it went nicely with the sourdough rye toast I had with it. I happily drank the whole cup without even considering adding milk or sweetener. I think I would prefer it a bit stronger, so I’ll just have to watch how much water I put in my cup next time.

i rarely drink strong tea but this is a strong slightly smoky tea
taken without milk or sugar (its how i take all my teas)
a good early morning wake up tea

Malty. But nice and smooth with a slight bitterness and just what I needed to get me through the rest of the day.

Flavors: Malt

Whittard Russian Caravan is a slighty smokey tea available loose or
In Tea bags. Nice to drink in the day.

there are few teas i drink with milk .. this being one of those exceptions. i like it’s slight earthiness. great start to a winters day.

Good all round tasting tea, great steeped strong with a touch of milk.

Boiling 8 min or more