Sencha House

Green Tea
Sencha
Grass, Green, Sweet, Vegetal, Fruity, Freshly Cut Grass
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Zen Tea

House Sencha has the well balanced harmony of mellow vs. bitter taste and refreshing aroma, standard of traditional Kyoto style Sencha. House Sencha is Ichiban Cha, the first harvest of tea leaves and best crop of the year. All of our Sencha products are made exclusively from Ichiban Cha. Sencha contains more of the beneficial nutrient Catechin than other green teas, because it is grown in full sunlight, thus it becomes yellow-green in color. If you are searching for a good value Sencha, would you try this once? You will surely be pleased with the quality and the well balanced flavor of traditional Sencha, available at such a reasonable price.

Zen tea imports its Japanese green teas directly from Uji in Kyoto. Known for its cultural heritage, it is the birthplace of Japanese tea. Uji tea is harvested and packaged directly at the tea plantations to preserve the flavour and freshness of the tea.

Price: $14 / 100g

About Zen Tea View company

Thanks to Zen Tea for a sample of this.

How appropriate, I’ve been listening to a lot of house music and now I am drinking a tea to go along with it. It has such a pretty green color when brewed.

This sencha has a very vegetal grassy smell – it’s definitely green tea. It might be a little bit too much for my tastes, I prefer my greens on the mellow side. However, for someone who wants a quality sencha and isn’t as bothered as much by grassy greens, this is a good choice.

Easily the best sencha I’ve had!

Mellow, grassy flavor with slightly floral notes, vibrant yellowish green color, short steep time and stays bold for many steepings.

Dry leaves are thin, needle-like and deep green in color. Mostly whole or large pieces. Wet leaves look like they’ve been freshly picked.

Zen Teas obviously did their homework in sourcing a great sencha :)

This is such a mellow green; it’s light, floral and very grassy. I have a sudden craving for sushi. I can see why this would be a standard tea to keep around. I could easily drink an entire pot!

I’m off to drink another cup!

I really, really enjoy Zen Tea’s Sencha House. It tastes fresh and green, like I’m lying in an early Spring garden or on a freshly mowed lawn.

My first sencha! I thought this one was pretty decent. Not particularly suited to brewing with a gaiwan due to the small leaves, but I made it work. I used 3.6g and did longer steepings than usual: 30s, 20s, 30s, 60s, 2m. Liquor looked like yellow gatorade lol. Very grassy flavors and something remaining on my palate that reminds me of some sort of fruit, but I can’t put my finger on what kind. Extremely smooth tea, and body was decent as well.

Flavors: Grass, Green, Sweet, Vegetal

160 °F / 71 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g
CWarren

Congrats on your first sencha. There was a period in time where all I was drinking was Japanese green tea especially shincha. You might want to invest in a teapot just for those teas if you start enjoying them more often. I have a houhin just for fine leaf teas like gyokuro and kyusus for other greens. You’ll also notice that they can get bitter at longer temps and times depending on leaf quality and size. The higher quality senchas always seem to tolerate so much more but I suppose that’s the case for many teas. After reading this, I just might have to make a pot again soon. Thanks for sharing!

Matu

Yea, right now I’m diving headfirst into raw puerh, but I may start to try some more Japanese greens. This was pretty tasty. Once I start really going down that road I’ll pick up a kyusu or something.

Actually, I have a 20oz. cast iron teapot I bought from Teavana quite awhile ago. Maybe I’ll try the rest of my sample in that :)

I finished the last of this off tonight. I really enjoy thins sencha. It has a nice, mellow fresh cut grass aroma that reminds me of spring. The flavor is nice, too. It has a nice sweet/vegetal/grassy flavor. The color is beautiful too! It will be missed. I will have to make a note to restock when my tea stash a little less than it is now!

Flavors: Freshly Cut Grass, Green, Sweet, Vegetal

I have been focusing on China greens of late, but I was craving sencha, so I decided to brew up a two-glass tetsubin of the house sencha from Zen Tea.

Very tasty! The liquor is pale green and slightly shimmery—the citrine-peridot color unique to sencha—and the flavor is fine indeed. Slightly vegetal but also smooth and silken. This house sencha is said to be ichiban Kyoto style from Uji. Now I’m very curious what the superior sencha is going to be like! Up next…

(Blazing New Rating #17)

165 °F / 73 °C 2 min, 30 sec 4 g 20 OZ / 591 ML
Cheri

I love the differences and similarities between Chinese and Japanese greens. It’s amazing.

sherapop

Cheri: I used to only really drink sencha and bancha. But then I began exploring China greens. The variety is amazing!