I’m a sucker for hints of cedar in my less oxidized teas, especially when vanilla is in the mix. It’s the reason I bite the bullet and buy blends like Bellocq’s overpriced White Wolf. It’s also why I decided to order from Whispering Pines again, one month later. I’ve been meaning to try this tea for years. Also, no one told me WP carries Taiwanese Assam and Wild Mountain. Hello again, long lost friends.

It’s been a while since I read or watched LotR, but isn’t Rivendell essentially a spa retreat hidden away in the middle of misty mountain wilderness (with elves)? That’s this tea to a “T” (although, possibly minus the pretty elves). This cup and hot springs are meant for each other.

Main flavour notes are vanilla, cedar, fruity pear, vegetal somethings, floral fruit blossoms, cedar, citrus, frankincense (sort of like eucalyptus/mint but sweeter/muskier and with more tree resin). Floral berry aftertaste like cherry and/or pear blossoms and chocolate.

I oversteeped the second steep just a tad and now it smells a little like banana runts. Still good though.

Steep Count: 3

Flavors: Cedar, Cherry Blossom, Chocolate, Citrus, Eucalyptus, Floral, Mint, Pear, Pine, Resin, Vanilla, Vegetal

Daylon R Thomas

I ordered some myself. I almost got the Assam, but I hesitate with Malt. The Wild Mountain is my favorite so far besides Ancient Spirit.

derk

Daylon, the Premium Taiwanese Assam is not the malt-bomb you might be expecting. It’s really as the description suggests. Thick mouthfeel to boot.

Daylon R Thomas

Hopefully that comes in the sample cause I know I’d like that!

CrowKettle

I haven’t had Taiwanese Assam since Butiki closed shop (will fix that tonight), but I also recall it being an smooth, “easy drinker”. Six years ago, it was one of the only black teas I would drink during my “I don’t like black teas” phase.

CrowKettle

Daylon, If you don’t receive a sample and it fulfills my memory’s high expectations, maybe I can send you a little.

That sounds good. :)

Comments

Daylon R Thomas

derk

Daylon R Thomas

Hopefully that comes in the sample cause I know I’d like that!

That sounds good. :)

Ingredients/flavours I tend to dislike or stay away from: apple, cocoa nibs, marine, peach, stevia, dairy products

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. Will impulsively buy and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

76-84: A lovely tea, maybe of high quality or masterful blending, but not one I’m likely to order again.

BC, Lower Mainland