Tastes like a slice of toasted Greek sweet bread made with mastic, while sitting in a rocky old growth cedar forest somehow being delightfully drowned by the perfume of roses and sunflowers. Then on the swallow and in the aftertaste it’s like eating a slice of apple-lychee-cinnamon pie, dotted with raisins and sprinkled with brown sugar, finished with a drizzle of sweet cream. Leather, malt, cocoa, citrus, apricot, rum, spiciness, oats.
It’s all there waiting to be found. Camphorous, heating/cooling, long aftertaste, medium-thick body, good longevity, relaxing qi. I’m floored.

Phenomenal Wuyi black tea probably not for those new to the style but recommended for absolutely anybody curious what the region has to offer.

Flavors: Apple, Apricot, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Butter, Camphor, Cedar, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Creamy, Dark Wood, Floral, Flowers, Forest Floor, Fruity, Leather, Lemon, Lychee, Malt, Mineral, Nutmeg, Pastries, Pine, Raisins, Resin, Rose, Rum, Spicy, Wet Rocks

200 °F / 93 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Martin Bednář

Rocky old growth cedar forest with perfume of roses and sunflowers sounds so nice to sit in. Actually I miss sitting in nature at all. No time and now we even shouldn’t.

Comments

Martin Bednář

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, sheng puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, GABA oolong. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog, matcha latte and golden milk.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings, just nothing cloying. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

I abandoned both my preference reference and the recording of detailed steeping parameters in January 2020, favoring a focus on qualitative descriptions. At this point, I am still comfortable toggling the “Not/Recommended” button.

Preference reference: