drank Lavenderberry by TeaSource

A Berry Frui-tea July! I got this not long ago in a TeaSource order, quite interested in the berry/lavender flavor combo. I stayed up way too late yesterday so tonight I decided I would keep to herbals, so this seemed a good time to try this. The dry leaf smelled lovely, like vanilla cream and some sort of fruity sorbet/gelato.

Brewed up, I’m getting a lot of strawberries-and-cream vibes from the aroma, and not much lavender, despite the name. Maybe it’s in the flavor more than the scent? Took a sip and this is an absolutely lovely rooibos. It’s very sweet, with a very fruity flavor, with a strong strawberry note and a slight sweet cream flavor. TeaSource has another rooibos tea called Strawberries and Cream that I have in my cupboard (though I have yet to review it) and this tastes remarkably similar, though I do make out a subtle touch of lavender toward the end of the sip. I actually wish the lavender was a bit stronger, because it tastes a little too much like the other tea; I may have to add a pinch of extra lavender from my raw lavender buds stash. I’ve always liked the Strawberries and Cream tea and it was recently discontinued, so it’s nice to know this one is going to continue to scratch that itch, at least, and I can see why they decided to get rid of it now that I’ve had this one and see how similar they are to each other. Plus, this one just feels more relaxing to sip on, thanks to the lavender (and I had to medicate for a migraine today, so the lavender infusion is definitely a plus in that regard, even if the flavor is getting overwhelmed a little by the strawberry and vanilla in the cup). It’s a nice tasting rooibos, but I think it needs a little stronger lavender to balance against the strength of the berry.

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Fruity, Strawberry, Sweet, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in the Pacific Northwest, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, RuPaul’s Drag Race, coloring books, simulation computer games, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little apartment!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Smoke-scented teas (lapsang souchong)/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Grapefruit (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Plain raspberry leaf (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Medicinal flavors
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

My Tea Obsession of the Moment: A sweet tisane right before bed

My Monthly Tea Theme: Autumn Harvest! This month I’ll be focusing on teas from my collection featuring flavors from the fruits, vegetables, nuts, and spices of the bounty of the autumn harvest season!

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating.

New Teas Tried for 2018: 228
Sipdown Count for 2018: 196

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2J0sUMNItRsf0jBRBR6XDFUimm60f0o/view?usp=sharing . If you are interested in tea exchanges (USA only, please), feel free to contact me!

Idaho, United States