Eighth tea for March Mad(Hatter)ness! This is for the herbal tea round, going against Lupicia’s Apple Barley Tea. I reviewed it previously here: https://steepster.com/mastressalita/posts/374606

This is the lavender tea that gave birth to other lavender teas. It has such a strong yet pleasing lavender aroma from the dry leaf. I brewed two heaping teaspoons to 450ml 205F water, and steeped it for somewhere around 8-10 minutes before straining. Most herbals I just “leave the bag in” but I have found lavender has a tendency toward bitterness so I try to remember to steep and strain those teas.

This is strongly lavender, but it is very natural sort of flavor and aroma; I suppose those that aren’t too keen on lavender may find it perfumy or soapy, but I don’t find either quality in this tea. The base of the tea is a mix of blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry leaf, which leaves a sort of “garden fresh” herbaceous undertone to the tea, while also adding a slight natural sweetness that balances those bitter notes that can happen from too much lavender. It is a very smooth and soothing lavender tea. The lavender itself is just the slightest bit minty.

I do think, as far as a lavender-forward tea, this is probably the best one I’ve ever had. That said, I certainly have to be in the mood for it; it isn’t the sort of tea I find myself reaching for very often. I’m more likely to grab lavender blends, like a coconut lavender or chocolate lavender or lemon lavender tea when I get a lavender-itch. Occassionally, the itch is strong enough that none of those options have strong enough lavender, and then this hits the spot. (It is also a great mixer in lemonade, smoothies, lattes, etc.!)

When I compare something like this to Lupicia’s Apple Barley Tea, while the flavors are complete opposites, I do find the functionality of them similar for me; they are relaxing and comforting night sippers or refreshing cold brews. But, when it comes down to it, I’d likely find myself reaching for the mugicha more often, considering I have to be in just the right “mood” for this tea. For that reason, Lupicia’s Apple Barley Tea moves on!

Flavors: Floral, Herbaceous, Lavender, Mint, Smooth, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 15 OZ / 450 ML
AJRimmer

After reading your note, I went to save this on my wishlist and saw that it was already there! Definitely planning to make an order later this year!

tea-sipper

whoa, I thought you’d go with the lavender! And also this: “coconut lavender or chocolate lavender or lemon lavender” — why are all of these combinations so GOOOODD?

Mastress Alita

Lavender pairs so well! I’ve been digging Lavender Berry smoothies, too!

tea-sipper

oh yum. Didn’t think of that!

Comments

AJRimmer

Mastress Alita

Lavender pairs so well! I’ve been digging Lavender Berry smoothies, too!

tea-sipper

oh yum. Didn’t think of that!

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in southern Idaho, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, coloring books, simulation computer games, Japanese culture, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little condo!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Hemp/CBD teas
-Smoke-scented teas/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Medicinal flavors/Ginseng
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

Steeping Parameters:

I drink tea in a variety of ways! For hot brews, I mostly drink my teas brewed in the western style without additions, and for iced tea, I drink teas mostly brewed in the cold brew style without additions. Occassionally I’ll change that up. I use the https://octea.ndim.space/#/ app for water-to-tea ratios and use steep times to my preferences.

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating. Occassionally I revisit a tea I’ve reviewed before after a year or more has passed.

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JjlpjQ94UyoryaDRMIeqnPHObgvCtmRp/view?usp=sharing . I am currently strictly limiting tea trading/ordering to get my collection under control! My participation in any tea boxes, tea exchanges, or group orders, and acceptance of any tea gifts is very limited at this point in time. If there is something on my spreadsheet that I have in large quantity (50g or higher) that you would like to sample, feel free to contact me about it, as I am open to limited outbound gifting (USA only!)

Contact Info:

Feel free to send me a Steepster PM, or alternatively, check the website URL section below; it goes to a contact form that will reach my personal e-mail.

Idaho, United States