Nabbed this one from the first GCTTB when I had it a month or so ago…

I brewed this one up Western style to enjoy whilst having a long soak in the tub. I haven’t yet found a practical way to enjoy Gong Fu whilst having a bubble bath, but rest assured that once I do I’ll be taking advantage of those long soaks to enjoy some Gong Fu brewed Pu’erh.

I was a little surprised by this one; it had a really upfront sticky, fruity sweetness to it and a mouthfeel to match that syrupy quality. I’d say those intense fruity notes really reminded me of both raisins and plums. Apart from that, this had your typical array of earthy, brothy and mineral notes and then a richness in the foreground that I think would best be described as a fudgey, chocolate note and maybe even a little bit of caramel? The caramel was a stronger presence in the aftertaste, where it lingered on the tip of your tongue. About halfway through my mug, I noticed I was also observing a little bit of an sweet and umami quality as well in the top of the sip alongside the raisin/plum. Initial impression was tomato, but looking back on it I’m thinking a bit more of a persimmon. Persimmon is like a tomato, but sweeter/fruitier with a more honeyed taste to it.

So, a very enjoyable as well as interesting and even somewhat unique cuppa.

Christina / BooksandTea

Did you have to do any rinses on this? After I tried this and didn’t get very far, someone else suggested to do a rinse or two the night before and let it sit so that the nuggets had time to unfurl.

Roswell Strange

I did a ten second rinse to start, and that definitely opened things up a little. After that I brewed Western though, so the longer steep time was, I believe, more beneficial to getting more flavour out.

Comments

Christina / BooksandTea

Roswell Strange

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: