drank Sunset Matcha by DAVIDsTEA

So because I am very, very much not a morning person I have reverted back into my old morning routine of prepping all my stuff the night before (lunch, shower, work clothing, travel mug & tea that I intend to steep for the commute, etc.) so that I can wake up as late as humanly possible before I have to boogie on out of my apartment to catch the metro. I’ve gotten it down to about fifteen minutes awake and in the apartment before I leave to walk to the metro station…

Part of this “morning routine” now include bringing everything I need to make breakfast with me to the office and making breakfast there and eating it at my desk. Ultra efficiency! A few days ago, breakfast of choice was oatmeal – and because I’m in a lab surrounded by tea I thought it would be interesting to try adding matcha into the oatmeal and see if that made it better. I think I may have done this in the past, but more with “sprinkling” the matcha on top and less with mixing it directly into the oatmeal? I’m not totally sure though – don’t quote me on that.

I was having peach oatmeal though, so I thought either a fruity matcha would work well or the vanilla matcha – and the first thing I saw was the sunset matcha which seemed to make sense in my head. I mean, it’s basically a strawberry matcha and strawberries and peaches go together, right? It actually did taste really nice as a pairing, I was just clearly a little heavy handed with how much matcha I added in (three perfect matcha spoons of it). Like, the strawberry notes were just so strong. I think two spoons would have been the perfect balance, actually!

But 10/10 in terms of concept. Would t-oatmeal again.

Nattie

Sounds like a good idea! I struggle with mornings too, and even though I prefer tea always, I usually go for coffee in the morning for the caffeine boost as I can’t function enough to properly prepare matcha. This could do it!!

Comments

Nattie

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: