Backlog from December 5th:

It’s Saturday morning. The laundry is going, the breakfast dishes have been put away, and my favorite Christmas candle is burning on the kitchen counter. It felt like the right moment to try one of my new holiday teas from 52teas’ recent Kickstarter campaign.

Of all the Christmas teas, this was the one I was most excited about when I placed my order. I’ve really been intrigued by smoky teas lately so this sounded particularly exciting. The dry leaf doesn’t smell as smoky as I expected, though there is some smoke there. I can also smell a light spice, like the faint whisper of a chai. I steeped according to the instructions on the package, but the flavor to me seems muted. I’m hoping I can get more from it by steeping a little differently next time.

Flavors: Smoke, Spices

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Sadly, I found this one to be a disappointment.

Shae

I’m feeling a little let down by this one as well. I’ve had this a few times after writing this note but I still can’t seem to coax much flavor out of it. I was so excited when it first came out; maybe my expectations were just a little too high.

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

Sadly, I found this one to be a disappointment.

Shae

Lifetime student. Lover of books and paper and ink. Kitchen dweller. Aspiring herbalist, excessively proud cat lady, and tea fanatic.

I love flavored black teas most of all, always with cream and honey. I prefer to sweeten my tea as it seems to bring out the flavor. I enjoy floral and fruity teas, as well as flavored or scented ones. I’m not overly fond of green or white teas, but I’ve found a few that I enjoy.

Favorites
Any and all black teas, smoky teas, raspberry, strawberry, chocolate, bergamot, chai spices, cinnamon, cream, floral teas, caramel/toffee, jasmine, rose, vanilla, stone fruits, coconut, valerian root

Not a fan
Lime, white teas (someone tell me what I’m doing wrong with these!), most green teas, artificial sweeteners, sarsaparilla, licorice

I’m open to tea swaps! Just reach out if you see something I have that you want to try.

Rating Scale

1-20: By far, one of the worst teas I’ve tasted. I most certainly will not finish my cup and will likely “gift” the rest to my sweet husband who almost always enjoys the teas I dislike (and vice versa).

21-40: This tea is not good but if I mix it with another tea or find another steeping method I might be able to finish it.

41-70: This one is just okay. I might drink it again if someone were to give it to me, but I probably won’t be buying more for myself.

71-79: This is a consistently good tea. It’s reliable but not necessarily special.

80-90: This one is a notch above the rest and I would gladly enjoy a cup of it any day of the week. I’ll likely be keeping this in my cupboard, but it isn’t one of my all-time favorites.

91-95: One small change and this tea would be perfect. I’ll definitely have a stash of this in my kitchen if you come over for tea.

96-100: No words can describe this tea. It’s an experience, an aha moment. Closed eyes, wide smile, encompassing warmth. Absolutely incredible. Perfect.

Currently reading: