Hot Buttered Spiced Rum

Green Tea
Ginger Root, Green Tea Leaves, Nutmeg, Orange Wedges, Organic Allspice, Organic Cinnamon Pieces, Organic Cloves, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan)
Butter, Creamy, Orange Zest, Spices, Citrus Zest, Clove, Fruity, Rum, Spicy, Green
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “I have been saving this for the day that I was appreciating green tea blends more than I had been during my black and only black tea trend. That would be today. This eggnog-like spiced rum tea is...” Read full tasting note
  • “I enjoyed this one a lot, and wanted to right up a nice note about it. Unfortunately, I seem to have inhaled my whole package on the way out the door. All I can say is that it was good, the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I think the word “Buttered” called to me. No fat in my diet has me craving everything I shouldn’t be looking at. Luckily I have tea to satisfy those cravings and this is one buttery treat. Buttery...” Read full tasting note
  • “Finished this one off as well – need to get through some of my samples before vacation :) i rather like this one – interesting spice notes, some sort of creamy buttery goodness… again, not one...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Hot Buttered Rum is a traditional winter drink – something that will help warm you up when it’s cold outside. As I’ve often mentioned, I’m not much of a drinker of alcohol – tea is my drink of choice – but I still enjoy the idea of a warm, soothing cup of hot buttered rum – so I decided to create a tea that brought those flavors to life while still enjoying my favorite drink.

I chose a buttery Chinese Sencha as my base because I felt that the natural buttery tones of the tea would highlight the ‘buttered’ part of the buttered rum. Then I added a few spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. The spices aren’t overwhelming because I wanted a gentle, warm spice flavor but not something that would overpower the flavors of creamy butter and rum. A couple of the recipes that I found online for Hot Buttered Spiced Rum called for orange zest – instead, I added some dried orange segments. The orange flavor is delicate here, just a touch of orange to brighten the cup. As I already mentioned, my goal was to highlight the buttered rum flavor so I didn’t want those flavors overwhelmed by other profiles in this blend.

The result is a gentle, warm, soothing beverage. Something that makes me want to curl up next to a crackling fire and read a good book. This one’s really nice!

organic ingredients: green tea, oranges, cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, nutmeg and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

This eggnog-like spiced rum tea is just perfect for a bright chilly day like today. The rum flavour shines through the creaminess. The spice balances well against the other flavours. Citrus peel punctuates the occasional sip.

This tea masterpiece is from the Christmas 2016 collection and has survived rather nicely.

CrowKettle

Yes, this one was good!

All I can say is that it was good, the description is spot on, and I kind of miss it. Also, it’s slightly better than hot buttered spiced rum because I can’t actually taste dark rum (definitely not my favourite hard liquor, except in elaborate cocktail form, where it then becomes lovely).

Now that it’s gone I guess I’ll just have to make due with actual hot buttered rum; the weather here is almost perfect for it (why, overcast rain).

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Orange Zest, Spices

I think the word “Buttered” called to me. No fat in my diet has me craving everything I shouldn’t be looking at. Luckily I have tea to satisfy those cravings and this is one buttery treat. Buttery and with a nice ginger and spice flavor. Does it tastes like rum? No. Do I mind? No. At the end of the day this is a tasty tea and that’s all that matters to me.

how IS all that going?

VariaTEA

They have to remove the gallbladder so I am on standby for surgery. They said there is a 50/50 chance they can do it tomorrow but they said that about Friday and nothing. Fingers crossed though.

ugh. So sorry to hear that. if there’s anything i can do, let me know :)

VariaTEA

Thanks Sil. It just sucks not knowing since it means I can’t eat/drink in the mornings until noon (if they don’t call by then, it isnt happening that day). Well that plus I get anxious since this would be my first surgery.

Evol Ving Ness

Gah! Sorry to hear this, VariaTEA. I hope this is an easy peasy thing all around. Please keep us posted.

This IS stressful. I find doing brief meditations like this one help.

“Let your thoughts come and go, but don’t serve them tea.”

Finished this one off as well – need to get through some of my samples before vacation :) i rather like this one – interesting spice notes, some sort of creamy buttery goodness… again, not one i’d have picked up for myself but this one is really nice.

I tried using 2 tsp leaf per cup with a 30 second steep to combat the bitterness of the green base, however it didn’t work this time. The green base in this hasn’t worked for me most cups, so I’m actually happy this is a sipdown. I normally love dragonwell, so I’m not too sure what’s up with this one.

LPT: brew at 70 deg. and then add milk.

I really love this blend. Its light and refreshing. I just love green tea. I can taste a little bit of the orange but its not overpowering, which made me happy. I can also taste the spice and a little bit of that butteriness. The only thing I would ask is for the butterscotch to be more prominent if there ever was a reblend. I want more buttery! And more of that butterscotch flavor…

Flavors: Butter, Green, Orange Zest, Spices

I enjoyed the last few teaspoons from my sampler bag this morning. I’m really quite surprised by how much I am enjoying this blend. I think it’s just so comforting and so festive. It genuinely reminds me of the holidays.

I totally gilded the lily this morning, but it’s quite nice with a splash of homemade eggnog.

I’m glad I bought a large bag of this blend to savor over the next few weeks.

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me … Hot Buttered Spiced Rum Green Tea!

I am a little sad that this countdown is ending soon! I am really enjoying discovering a new tea each day. I still have a little bit of each tea to drink down, and part of me wants to savor them longer. I feel this way about plenty of teas that I’ve bought and all but forgotten. Chalk it up to my tea hoarder mentality; I don’t want to run out of all these teas I like, so I let the last little bit sit around my tea cupboard for all eternity – or at least until I buy more and find I no longer have room. Trust me, the irony is not lost on me.

Opening this tea this morning, I wondered how the green tea would play out with the flavor I discovered on the package. Cracking it open, I see some dried citrus slices and some chunks of various spices. Butterscotch and rum waft up the package to greet my nose. The green tea looks like the Chinese sencha that was a part of the first day’s blend. I was kind of hoping for a nuttier, creamier Chinese green tea like a Bi Luo Chun to match the buttered rum, but I liked the pale and slightly grassy sencha on the first day. It’s lighter than the traditional Japanese version and can take a beating with temp and brew times. I personally have never had hot buttered rum, but I can take a guess at the flavor. It brings thoughts of butterscotch pudding and lots of Bacardi. While this tea is not something I’d pick out for myself, I am surprised at how much I am enjoying it. While I feel like the Chinese Sencha used in the blend is a bit of a milder flavor profile in comparison to the spices and rum, it adds a smooth, refreshing finish to this dessert tea. I love how the spices combine with the rum flavor. It’s like I spiked my drink with a little Captain Morgan. It’s teas like this one that makes me happy I got the box. Finding something totally new and unexpectedly delicious is what’s giving me life right now. Excuse me while I find some real rum to add to this tea…

Check out the review on my blog: http://itstheteamonster.blogspot.com/2016/12/12-days-of-christmas-day-8.html

Nattie

Tea hoarder problems!! This tea sounds like something I’d love.

On the 8th Day of Christmas – today’s tea is one of the four original blends and: Oh wow! I don’t remember LOVING this as much when I first tested the tea as I’m loving it now. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had much of a chance to sit down with a cuppa all day until now and I’m appreciating and savoring the moment? Maybe it’s just because it brewed up absolutely perfect this time around.

This is really good – a nice balance between butter rum, sweetness and warmth from the spices. The smooth, creamy flavor from the Chinese Sencha enhances the buttery flavor from the butter rum.