Berried Treasure

Black Fruit Blend
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper
Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 11 oz / 325 ml

• “Another tea that I kept poor notes on, but if I recall correctly, it was a delightfully creamy/marshmallowy fruity tea, again with great resteepability.” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s a nice change to be able to experience a berry-flavoured tea that actually tastes like real berries and not artificial flavouring. I can actually taste the raspberry and strawberry in this,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I brewed this and then got distracted by our little puppy aka Poupée so this is cold. Still tastes like it smells though and it smells pretty good. Someone made the comparison to DAVIDsTEA’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Not sure how i ultimately feel about this one. It was on my list of teas i needed to try but having tried it, i think i can pass. It’s a nice black strawberry/berry tea but there’s something not...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for April 24, 2017!
Most of our blends with marshmallow root are genmaicha blends and I love those, of course, but I also have a fondness for marshmallow root in other types of teas. Marshmallow root has become one of my favorite herbs to work with because it softens/lightens a tea and adds a really delightful fluffy marshmallow-y taste to the cup at the same time.

With this blend, I started with a base of organic black teas from China and India. To those, I added an abundance of berry flavor – strawberry, blackberry & raspberry! – and some vanilla bean and bunch of marshmallow root. Then I added just a kiss of bergamot and a barely there hint of bourbon essence. It may seem like there’s a whole lot going on with this blend – but the focus starts on the black tea and then makes way for the berry and marshmallow notes. The other flavors add just a hint of something else in the background – like a little surprise “treasure” for your palate to discover!

This is a very tasty tea – bursting with delicious berry flavor with a soft, fluffy marshmallow background note.

organic ingredients: black teas, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, marshmallow root, vanilla bean & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

It’s a nice change to be able to experience a berry-flavoured tea that actually tastes like real berries and not artificial flavouring. I can actually taste the raspberry and strawberry in this, and the marshmallow root truly does give this a fluffy background texture.

Am I detecting a mineral note from the base? I swear.

I brewed this and then got distracted by our little puppy aka Poupée so this is cold. Still tastes like it smells though and it smells pretty good. Someone made the comparison to DAVIDsTEA’s Fantasy Island and I can see why. A tasty berry black tea. Alas the berg builds the more you drink :(

Fjellrev

Poupée is a freaking adorable name for a puppy.

VariaTEA

It’s one of many. She was also referred to as Buppy for a while (because she was a baby-puppy), Susan Lucci, and Wiggles. My sister named her Lucky and we all think it’s too cliche so she gets nicknames.

Not sure how i ultimately feel about this one. It was on my list of teas i needed to try but having tried it, i think i can pass. It’s a nice black strawberry/berry tea but there’s something not quite harmonious about this blend that doesn’t work for me. Thanks for all these samples VariaTea!

Final Count: 56

While superficially reminiscent of the old Fantasy Island blend from David’s Tea, this blend is boozier, brighter, and more acidic (thanks, Bergy). There’s also no coconut, but it makes up for that in vanilla marshmallow, and even more berries.

It’s surprisingly juicy, with all the sweet-tart dimensions that blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries bring to the table. It’s a refreshing cuppa, even when consumed hot, without milk. The vanilla and the woody fluff textural quality of the marshmallow root gives it that desirable berry dessert vibe. The bergamot is actually not that blatant, merely complimenting the lush berry flavours with its floral/citrus profile.

If you love Bluebird’s Vicky’s Spongecake, DT’s Fantasy Island, or AQTT’s Black Cherries in Sweet Cream you’d probably enjoy this too.

This sample was generously provided by 52Teas. Thank you!

Flavors: Bergamot, Berries, Blackberry, Marshmallow, Raspberry, Strawberry, Tart, Vanilla, Wood

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Shae

I love that you put recommendations at the bottom for similar teas. Very much enjoyed this note!

Roswell Strange

Oh man, I miss Fantasy Island! I remember when that one blew up here on Steepster! It was a pretty fun tea, and in hindsight I bet I could have done so much more with it.

Evol Ving Ness

Vanilla marshmallow and berries! WIN!

VariaTEA

I enjoyed all those teas so I look forward to trying this out when I can actually taste teas again!

tea-sipper

Bluebird’s Vicky’s is a nice comparison. :D

I got this as a sample with my last 52Teas order. I put it off because I saw that bergamot was one of ingredients. I am not fond of bergamot. Earl Gray is not a fave! But either my cup didn’t have much bergamot or it is so light I can barely taste it. I enjoyed this cup. It had a mellow strawberry flavor that avoided the fake or “children’s cough syrup” version of strawberry, and it didn’t taste like sickeningly sweet strawberry candy either.

I’ve realized that strawberries are a hit or miss ingredient for me in teas, especially in black tea blends. I’m finding that it almost has to be the primary flavor in a black tea for it to jive on my taste buds. I don’t dislike the blend, but I probably would’ve loved it had the strawberry been excluded altogether. Another delicious base and the other berry flavors are quite nice. The bergamot and bourbon essence are not really discernible at all. I’ve had it both hot and iced. It makes for a pleasant little cuppa, but, sadly, the combination of berries just didn’t work for me. I’ll sipdown the rest of my small stash, but it’s not a tea I’d repurchase.

Flavors: Berries, Marshmallow, Strawberry

Hope no one missed me! I had been out of town, going to the hospital every day for a few weeks. I had to rush to the hospital ten hours away when my dad had his brain surgery. He is doing surprisingly well… better than the surgeon expected! He has weakness on his right side but can mostly function. His aphasia is worse since the first event and will need work but he is still Dad! Even his dyslexia is back (ever since I’ve known him it seemed to be no problem for him but its just another thing on his plate) but it is great that he knows that its back which will help. Luckily my dad is super strong and is doing so good with all of this! I can’t even imagine. All from a tooth infection and he is always worried about his teeth/goes to the dentist on schedule. So he is back home now, and I am back with my tea collection. It was a nice reminder that grocery store teas are impossible. I searched so many stores and only saw a few tins of Harney. That is awesome for Harney though! THANK YOU to all those wonderful online tea shops that supply me (and spoil me) with awesome teas! Also great news for tea shops: Teavana is closing! Woo hoo!
I finished my sample size of this lovely tea today, a current favorite. But I have my big pouch on stand by.

Rasseru

Wow, hope dad gets well soon

Evol Ving Ness

Good to hear that he is on the mend!

And wow, all from a tooth infection. Shaking my head.

Fjellrev

It’s great to see you back and I’m glad to hear that he’s doing alright.

I love your straight up enthusiasm for Teavana shutting down.

tea-sipper

Thanks to you all. And it is totally crazy that this happened from a tooth infection, because my dad also makes sure to brush his teeth twice a day and flosses. So even if you do everything you can to prevent it….

This weeks Tea of the Week – I love this blend even more than I expected to. I am a huge fan of bergamot and I have really taken a liking to how nicely it plays with berry flavors. This blend is more berry than it is bergamot – I just wanted a hint of bergamot for this. I find that the bergamot is most noticeable when the tea is still quite hot so if you’re one who takes a sip before the “waiting/cooling period” to let the flavors develop, you’ll notice the bergamot strongest then.

After the 10 minutes or so cooling time, the bergamot becomes more of a background note – something that just perks the flavors up a bit without tasting strongly/definitively of bergamot.

The berries here are difficult to pick out – that is to say, I’m not certain where the blackberry ends and the strawberry or raspberry begins. It’s more of a medley of the three berry flavors. The marshmallow adds a lovely softness to this – toning down some of the tartness of the berry that would have been otherwise accentuated by the bergamot – as one who prefers things a little less tart – I appreciate the soft, fluffy marshmallow-y flavor here.

Sweet, creamy and just a little bit tart.