Gourmet Root Beer

Black Teas, Calendula Petals, Licorice Root, Organic Cloves, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans, Sarsaparilla, Star Anise Bits
High
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for July 10, 2017!

I had the idea for this tea way back before we took over 52Teas. I’m not sure if I shared the idea with Frank – I know that I was in his email pretty much every week or so with new ideas for tea and I’m also pretty sure that he got to the point where he was irritated every time that he saw my name pop up in his email yet again.

Once upon a time, I subscribed to a ‘foodie’ type of subscription, appropriately named “Foodzie.” Foodzie has since been sold to another company and the subscription service seems to have fallen by the wayside. I’ve since tried a few other foodie subscription services – my favorite (Knoshy) seems to have also disappeared. [insert frown-y face here.] Anyway, Foodzie and the other subscription services would send me a box every month and each box would be filled with ‘gourmet’ treats crafted by small companies. One month, I received a bottle of root beer and it was the best tasting root beer I’ve ever tasted.

There was the normal ‘root beer-ish’ sort of flavor to it (or would that be sarsaparilla?) but as this was no usual root beer – there was a whole lot more to it than just the typical root beer notes. It had some really unique, amazing layers of flavor that I had never experienced in a root beer before. I tasted hints of wintergreen, clove and anise in the bubbly bottle of root beer. It was SO GOOD.

So, being as mad about tea as I am, I was certain that this root beer needed to be recreated into a tea. So when the time came that I was to take over 52Teas, one of the very first tea I put on my ‘list’ of teas to create was this one. Now, it took me a while to get to actually crafting it – but I think it’s been well worth the wait.

I started with a base of black teas from China and India (Yunnan, Assam, Ceylon and Fujian) and added some sarsaparilla root, cloves, star anise, a hint of wintergreen and natural flavors to recreate the root beer of my dreams – only better – because it’s a tea.

This is one I recommend drinking as an iced tea – because let’s face it – root beer is tastier when it’s ice cold!

organic ingredients: black teas, sarsaparilla root, licorice root, cloves, star anise, vanilla bean, calendula petals and natural flavors

ingredients: black teas

About 52teas View company

Drank this one today to help me NOT buy tea on BF…it didn’t do it’s job…but all is forgiven because of how delicious this one is!

52Teas

I’m glad you like this one – it’s actually my husband’s favorite. He keeps asking me to brew more. He likes it iced and we are going to need a new iced tea pitcher just so that we have this tea brewed in the fridge all the time. ha! (Or until we run out. Then he’s going to be buggin’ for a reblend.)

it’s super tasty!

Boyfriend was/is highly freaked out by the idea of root beer flavoured tea.

I brought this one with me to his house last week; I told him he’s just gonna have to get used to me bring tea along with me everywhere the same way he brings multiple watches with him. It’s a security sort of thing – also, I know that the only teas he has at home are the ones I’ve bought for him. And I’m not a huge fan of most of the ones that he likes…

So – he may think root beer tea is weird, but I fucking love root beer teas and I was so confidant in Anne’s ability to blow this one out of the water that I made sure to grab a large size of it because I was not going to fall in love with a root beer tea yet again only to run out of it really quickly. #TeaInsurancePolicies?

Only really critcisims are that I thought the cinnamon in the blend was a little heavy handed, and the finish was a touch astringent – I think a somewhat lighter steep time could definitely fix the latter. Plus, both of those things are really minor because other than those two small things I think that the root beer flavour REALLY came through beautifully, and was super enjoyable.

I’m very, very happy with this one!

(Also; if root beer weirds him out just wait until he sees some of the other strange ones I have; like black bean or any of the bacon ones – which only just scratch the surface)

VariaTEA

Haha I was thinking if Root Beer is weird, how would he handle Pineapple or Maple Bacon :P

LiberTEAS

I’m really happy that you enjoyed this – however – there’s no cinnamon in this blend? I’m only really commenting on that point because I’m curious and always wanting to learn what I might have done differently. :)

Roswell Strange

I guess I had assumed cinnamon was maybe one of the added flavours. Maybe it was just a note in the one of the different base teas that was exaggerated by one of the other ingredients? ‘Cause it definitely wasn’t the anise/clove/sasparilla.

This is this week’s tea of the week and I absolutely love it!

My inspiration behind this tea is one of those really ultra-expensive, small-town small-company type of bottled root beers that unless you live near the actual ‘small company’ – you can’t always find the root beer locally. Since I live probably 2 or 3 thousand miles from the company, the only place locally I can find this root beer is at BevMo which is a fairly new establishment here in Washington (last few years). Before that, I would have to purchase this particular root beer online to have it shipped across the country (and not inexpensively, either).

When I was first approached seriously by Frank to take over 52Teas, one of the first things that I did was sit down and start creating a list of tea flavor ideas. I kind of told myself that if I couldn’t come up with enough tea ideas to fill a full year (52 teas) – then I shouldn’t do it. I needed to see if I had the mind to do what I would need to do. The idea for this tea was born out of that 48 hour ‘brainstorming’ session. I decided I wanted to create a tea that paid tribute to the amazing root beer that I so loved.

And I think I love this tea more than I love that root beer. Not only because – TEA – but also because this is so very much like that root beer – but I also get to control the amount of sugar I put into it (probably a fraction of what is used to craft that root beer) and also it seems a lot more reasonable for me to brew up a pitcher of tea and stash it in the fridge than it is to go to BevMo and buy the root beer for nearly three bucks a 12 ounce bottle.

Anyway – yes, we’ve made root beer teas before. We’ve also made butter beer tea. This is different from those because you’ll also get hints of clove, star anise and wintergreen that tease the taste buds as you sip. Oh, so lovely!