Yunnan Black Tea
Cocoa, Creamy, Smoke, Tannic, Sweet, Tea, Baked Bread, Biting, Black Pepper, Brown Toast, Cedar, Earth, Fig, Forest Floor, Honey, Oak wood, Thick, Winter Honey, Campfire, Rainforest
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

• “Thanks for deleting my note, Steepster. That was really awesome of you. Let’s see if I can recount what I was saying. Didn’t drink any green this morning and rhinkle came in earlier than usual, so...” Read full tasting note
  • “There was some malt, some black flavor. It was certainly better than the Drunk on Red, for which I was grateful, but there wasn’t much special about it. The blend was very sticky, in that it...” Read full tasting note
  • “OMG….. this tea wasn’t even in my cupboard. That means I haven’t updated it in forever. Shouldn’t really be surprised, the last tasting note I wrote was when I was in San Francisco -sorry...” Read full tasting note
  • “Group buy with Tea Tiff. This is a very smooth and somewhat smokey black tea, with a bit of sweetness showing up as it cools. I don’t think I care for the smoke here. I like it better than...” Read full tasting note

From Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea

While preparing this custom blend of Chinese Yunnan black teas, we discovered this crumpled fragment of a letter addressed to a Mr. C.D. Ward amongst the leaves:

“. . . barely escaped the ancient crystalline city whose vast aggregations of night-black masonry are monstrous perversions of geometrical laws. Amazingly still in possession of a modest reserve of the bizarre leaves which sustained us despite teetering on the brink of gibbering insanity. Once you grasp the extent to which the discovery of these leaves was both sudden and perplexing, how their fullness seemed to absorb us even as we believed ourselves to be the ones consuming them, the nature of our secrecy will seem an act of kindness and caution, and not the result of mere paranoid paralysis. It is a gateway to a forbidden world of untrodden wonder . . .”

Ignoring all rationality, we continued with the blending, our hearts beating like the drums of a forbidden cult. Darkness fell and strange lights appeared in the northern sky. Were they a natural phenomenon? Or the result of the dark brew we steeped?

As you will soon discover, Black Sunshine is a powerful blend of tea. Its strength draws from primordial temple ruins upon cloudy Asian mountaintops, and in its darkness lie the dreams of time.

Warning! As you steep this tea for 5 minutes in boiling water, contemplate not the black abyss that is the emptying tin or suffer unutterable despair!

About Andrews & Dunham Damn Fine Tea View company

Andrews & Dunham knows that nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, and a great tea needs no explanation. We love the romance of tea. We love that tea might just be the healthiest thing you’ll ever drink. But if the tea you’re drinking doesn’t taste fantastic, you’re missing out. Only a few teas meet our mysterious, rigorous standards and we’re proud to offer them to you. We’re always looking for that perfect cup, so you don’t have to.

Didn’t drink any green this morning and rhinkle came in earlier than usual, so we opted for hong for our morning tea session together. I don’t usually feel well if I try drinking them in the same day.

This was a single 7g sample that I got from someone—I no longer remember who it was—and tossed it all into the gaiwan. First steep smelled immediately of cocoa and yielded a nice, deep red liquor. The taste was of rich, earthy cocoa with just a bit of a tannic bite and the slightest bit of acidity.

The flavor deepens in the second steep, and letting it cool results in a much smoother flavor and texture, almost as if it has a creaminess. I get hints of smoke, as well. Steeped and sipped on this one on and off over a few hours. It was enjoyable.

Flavors: Cocoa, Creamy, Smoke, Tannic

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The blend was very sticky, in that it contained a lot of sticks.

OMG….. this tea wasn’t even in my cupboard. That means I haven’t updated it in forever. Shouldn’t really be surprised, the last tasting note I wrote was when I was in San Francisco -sorry Steepster I’ve been ignoring you.

This isn’t my favourite A&D blend but it’s nice. It’s a little too light and bright for me. Normally prefer something a little darker and smoother. Not getting much of the smoke that others are mentioning. I do think there is some fruity, grape something in here. For my tastes this is good not great.

Heh we miss you lady!

Group buy with Tea Tiff.

This is a very smooth and somewhat smokey black tea, with a bit of sweetness showing up as it cools. I don’t think I care for the smoke here. I like it better than Octoberfest, but not as well as Tiger Assam, or Red-Tailed Hawk

Flavors: Smoke, Sweet, Tea

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Okay. Revisiting this one. Still not exactly my thing. However, trying the Assam trick of letting it cool a bit before drinking makes it a cup more to my liking. The smoke is still there but blending nicely instead of shouting down everything else like the woodiness. Still not getting a lot of bread from this blend but it will be sufficient to ward off the Elder Gods this weekend.

love this one.

Nicole

Well, you lemme know when your stash is at acceptable levels. :)

Thanks for sending this as a sample, Lala!

I took the entire sample that she sent me and made a pot to drink this morning. This is rich and malty, and I can see why people like this blend, but I prefer to have blacks that are a bit sweeter/fruitier. This is definitely a good breakfast tea, though.

Lala

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy the rest of the samples.

Mmm…

I steeped this with a little extra leaf in a travel mug, and it’s definitely more of a morning tea right now. I also didn’t add anything to it, because I had no milk. (~adds milk to list~) It’s a little honey/sweet potato. A little astringent in a good way. Maybe a tiny bit smoky? IDK. That might be my travel mug or my imagination.

Yum.

Still love this one. Pulled this out today in light of the free shipping coupon. On the upside, i can use it until June, so i can save it up for a purchase in the future where maybe i pick up a limited edition tea + black sunshine. AND i can work on drinking up some of my other teas from DFT (red tailed hawk, keemun, double knit, tiger, holiday, oktoberfest…..) heh

(oh yeah, thanks for putting this in my cupboard again nicole/omgsrsly…going to share some with cavocorax this weekend!)

OMGsrsly

OMG. You have… all their teas? Except the EG?

I don’t have caravan either at the moment…or the EG yeah

The only ones I’ve tried are the ones I have. :D

Used me a Facebook pm of whatever I have that you haven’t tried. I’ll set some aside

Wow autocorrect. Send me not used me

OMGsrsly

Everything. :D I have Tiger Assam and Black Sunshine.

SEND ME FACBEBOOK PM. sheesh. like i’ll remember here…over there i’ve got a little red number to annoy me until i pack them up

tigress_al

Which one is your favourite (since you have almost all of them!)? I wanna order but have never tried any…and shouldn’t order ALL of them lol

if you’re trying to take advantage of the free ship coupon but don’t mind waiting, i can send you samples when i get my bags in the mail…

tigress_al

You are awesome Sil! I would really appreciate that, so I don’t have to buy ALL THE TEA lol. And I can definitely wait.

can you send me a PM so that i don’t forget?

My great tea friend Stephanie shared a sample with me.
Today was the day to try. Its cooled a little. I started drinking more new teas.

i made this cup western 3g 8oz 200F 3.5min

Its rich and tasty. While i was drinking i was keep wondering what teas could be in this blend. Its mix of some long and thin leaves, some short and some golden tips but not a lot. Golden tips give this sweet potato flavor which i grew tired of. Thankfully i didnt detected much of it.

This tea has some plum-cherry note which I associate with Ai Lao Mtn reds, some woodiness and slight winey notes ( like Keemun but they said its Yunnan teas )

Im no expert. It would be interesting to read someones review who can analyze this blend.

Overall, i was happy to try it. I have enough to try Gongfu which i always prefer with Chinese teas.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 30 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

nice!

Birthday tea #1

I was pretty excited to get this as a gift; considering it didn’t come with octopus tentacles in it I had no plan to purchase it; this is actually misleading, I’ve just never had this companies tea which made it hard to decide to commit to a whole tin or not.

I drank this for breakfast… though many will say:
Wait, no you didn’t because https://instagram.com/p/6Kc2apRYLZ/
But really, this was my breakfast :)

Yunnan’s black tea integrity shines in this blend and I find it quite enjoyable, even the bitterness to it.

Instead of reading something from me, you should go read the best review I have seen on a tea to date (which was on this tea) by Marzipan

Kaylee

Happy birthday!

Nicole

happy happy

boychik

Happy Bday !

Roswell Strange

Happy Birthday! Spoil yourself with good tea today! :)

Louise Li

Happy Birthday!

tea-sipper

Hope you had a good one!