Cult of Demeter

Food Herbal Blend
Barley (Roasted), Cocoa Husks, Organic Anise Seeds
Anise, Cocoa, Creamy, Sweet, Grain, Licorice, Roasted Barley, Toasted, Butter, Cookie, Salt, Smooth, Chocolate, Baked Bread
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Caffeine Free
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “Creamy cocoa notes reminiscent of hot chocolate. Sweet anise flavor as well. This tea is nicely balanced. I would like this to drink occasionally but with the anise I don’t see it as being an...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! (22 | 95) I didn’t realize I only had one serving left of this, I’ve never tried it but sent it to a couple of people. So that was a nice surprise when I opened the pouch! Wow, there’s a...” Read full tasting note
  • “2021 sipdown no. 38 This is my last August Uncommon tea from Cameron and sadly, these rooibos teas have not been good for me. At all. The combination of ingredients here ends up tasting like a deli...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tisane fits a specific circumstance for me, that of waking up much too early with a racing mind and needing a soothing, warm beverage to cradle me back to sleep, or to at least gently lead me...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Silky organic cocoa, barley and anise

Divine comfort in the dark hours of winter. Inspired by the original barley tisane kykeon, the ritual drink of devotees of the Greek goddess Demeter, this tea has satin texture and creamy flavor. Nutty roasted barley and malt is enriched by the subtle aroma of sweet aniseed and roasted cacao. A splash of your favorite milk turns up its natural sweetness.

INGREDIENTS: organic german barley malt, organic egyptian anise, organic cocoa husk

CONTAINS GLUTEN FROM BARLEY MALT

TASTES LIKE: biscotti, aniseed, cocoa butter, toasted barley
FEELS LIKE: golden grain harvest

CAFFEINE FREEVEGANNON GMO

About August Uncommon Tea View company

Creamy cocoa notes reminiscent of hot chocolate. Sweet anise flavor as well. This tea is nicely balanced. I would like this to drink occasionally but with the anise I don’t see it as being an everyday cup. It’s definitely a unique blend true to the brand’s name.

Flavors: Anise, Cocoa, Creamy, Sweet

Boiling

Sipdown! (22 | 95)

Wow, there’s a lot of anise going on here! It ends up tasting a bit like fennel, even though there’s no fennel here. I do taste some creamy cocoa and a nice toasty grain note from the barley.

But really, I feel like the anise is out of balance here. I do like anise, but it’s overpowering the other flavors a bit, and the tisane comes out tasting like black licorice. A shame, because the ingredient combination sounded really good to me…

Flavors: Anise, Cocoa, Grain, Licorice, Roasted Barley, Sweet, Toasted

2021 sipdown no. 38

The combination of ingredients here ends up tasting like a deli meat? I can’t really peg down which deli meat since I haven’t eaten meat in many years, and this was not a positive reminder of the taste haha!

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 14 OZ / 414 ML
derk

Haha, wut!

Courtney

I know!

This tisane fits a specific circumstance for me, that of waking up much too early with a racing mind and needing a soothing, warm beverage to cradle me back to sleep, or to at least gently lead me into the dawn hour. I said before this is liquid biscotti to soothe the sad-sack soul. I firmly lie by this notion, under the warmth of a down comforter and the heaviness of a weighted blanket, feeling grateful for the riches bestowed upon me.

I just finished off my sample size and purchased another bag. The cocoa and anise is so well-balanced, and such an interesting combination, I’ve found myself craving the flavor combo recently. August Uncommon posted a recipe for an affogatto using this tea, and I’m very interested in trying it. I’ll have to grab some vanilla ice cream next time I’m at the store.

This tisane puzzles me! I could feel myself making the weirdest face when I first sipped it, confused by the mix of flavors. It is strange how the flavors all work together so well! There is the sweetness of the anise, the deeper notes of the barley, the chocolate flavor tying everything together… I really like it!

AJRimmer

This is definitely on my list to try the next time I order from them!

This tisane is so interesting…before steeping, it smells very strongly of anise. That’s pretty much all I was able to smell. Although I do like anise, I am rarely in the mood to drink a tea that is too strongly flavored of it. However, after steeping, the aroma had totally developed. The anise was still there, but beautifully balanced with the scent of baked bread. In other words, it smelled delicious – like a yummy coffee shop treat. When I took my first sip, I immediately understood why August Uncommon listed biscotti as one of the main flavors. With sugar added, this is an absolute indulgence.

Interested? Here’s a coupon for $10 off your next order! http://go.referralcandy.com/share/FKRVB4M

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

This has a pleasantly mild anise flavor that surprised me. The other flavors are the typical fruity mix but the mild anise makes it much more interesting. I am not usually a licorice, anise, fennel fan but this was quite nice.

Another from beelicious and to be honest, i’m not sure how i feel about this one. weird smell and an interesting taste. i think the black teas from August uncommon are more up my alley than others. For sure you can taste the anise, but it was balanced enough to only really come through as that sweet taste, I didn’t hate this one, but it wasn’t anything ZOMG MUST have either. still an interesting view in to AC’s teas. Thanks B!

Christina / BooksandTea

I just really like the name of the tea…

I’m not quite sure what to think of this one.

To start I despise anise. The only way I can really stand it is if it’s in a spicy chai, buried and blended with several other flavors. Here, it’s one of the main ingredients. I will admit that the smell is much stronger than in the brew. The cocoa shell and barley make for a very velvety, smooth, grain-and-chocolate experience. It’s heavenly. It’s a little buttery and it really does remind me of biscotti! The anise serves as a back note: very, very faint but still present. I find myself craving it now and again, but I only have one cup left in my sample. Maybe that’s a sign that I should reorder. I do wish they had a 50g sized option…

Flavors: Anise, Butter, Chocolate, Grain, Smooth