Cult of Demeter

Food Herbal Blend
Anise, Butter, Chocolate, Grain, Smooth, Baked Bread, Salt, Sweet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sren

• “This tisane is so interesting…before steeping, it smells very strongly of anise. That’s pretty much all I was able to smell. Although I do like anise, I am rarely in the mood to drink a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This has a pleasantly mild anise flavor that surprised me. The other flavors are the typical fruity mix but the mild anise makes it much more interesting. I am not usually a licorice, anise, fennel...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another from beelicious and to be honest, i’m not sure how i feel about this one. weird smell and an interesting taste. i think the black teas from August uncommon are...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m not quite sure what to think of this one. To start I despise anise. The only way I can really stand it is if it’s in a spicy chai, buried and blended with several other flavors....” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

silky organic barley with cocoa shell and anise. caffeine-free.

Tastes Like
biscotti, aniseed, cocoa butter, toasted barley

About August Uncommon Tea View company

This tisane is so interesting…before steeping, it smells very strongly of anise. That’s pretty much all I was able to smell. Although I do like anise, I am rarely in the mood to drink a tea that is too strongly flavored of it. However, after steeping, the aroma had totally developed. The anise was still there, but beautifully balanced with the scent of baked bread. In other words, it smelled delicious – like a yummy coffee shop treat. When I took my first sip, I immediately understood why August Uncommon listed biscotti as one of the main flavors. With sugar added, this is an absolute indulgence.

Interested? Here’s a coupon for $10 off your next order! http://go.referralcandy.com/share/FKRVB4M

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

This has a pleasantly mild anise flavor that surprised me. The other flavors are the typical fruity mix but the mild anise makes it much more interesting. I am not usually a licorice, anise, fennel fan but this was quite nice.

Another from beelicious and to be honest, i’m not sure how i feel about this one. weird smell and an interesting taste. i think the black teas from August uncommon are more up my alley than others. For sure you can taste the anise, but it was balanced enough to only really come through as that sweet taste, I didn’t hate this one, but it wasn’t anything ZOMG MUST have either. still an interesting view in to AC’s teas. Thanks B!

Christina / BooksandTea

I just really like the name of the tea…

I’m not quite sure what to think of this one.

To start I despise anise. The only way I can really stand it is if it’s in a spicy chai, buried and blended with several other flavors. Here, it’s one of the main ingredients. I will admit that the smell is much stronger than in the brew. The cocoa shell and barley make for a very velvety, smooth, grain-and-chocolate experience. It’s heavenly. It’s a little buttery and it really does remind me of biscotti! The anise serves as a back note: very, very faint but still present. I find myself craving it now and again, but I only have one cup left in my sample. Maybe that’s a sign that I should reorder. I do wish they had a 50g sized option…

Flavors: Anise, Butter, Chocolate, Grain, Smooth

This is a fine, dense little tisane so not much dry volume is going into the infuser. I haven’t tried a barley base yet, so I am a little uncertain, more uncertain with the strong odor of anise as it brews. I don’t like licorice. Not to worry; this is heavenly…

First steep: very light amber in color even after a relatively long steep (6 min). Slightly salty, slightly sweet, slightly bread-n-buttery, and anise is enough of an undertone that it adds and not distracts (whew!). This is my second sampling from this company, and again I am reminded of a comforting broth.

Second steep: let this one go even longer (8 min), even so just a of hint of color to the liquid . Less flavor, too; this steep tastes like a watery version of the first. Not bad, just underwhelming after the pop of the first cup.

I think this might be worth a reorder— do wish there was a size option between 14g and 100g. 100g is quite a commitment.

Flavors: Anise, Baked Bread, Butter, Salt, Sweet

3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
sweetea

No cloying, chemically sweet licorice aftertaste? I get so wary whenever I see anise/licorice in the ingredient list.

sren

I am sensitive to anise, too, but it was a very subtle taste. Definite licorice smell, though.