Oolong Tea
Flavouring, Oolong, Peach, Pistacho, Rose Petals, White Chocolate
Butter, Cream, Custard, Honey, Lime, Peach, Roasted, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by apieceofquiche

• “I checked out this company because it was getting good reviews on here, has interesting tea descriptions, and was on sale over the holidays. However, I find this company’s marketing off-putting and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I really didn’t expect to like this tea. When first opening the bag and also during the first steep, it gives off a very, VERY strong scent of peaches. Not the actual fruit, but the kind of tart,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Mmmmmm this is good. I’m getting more lime than peach, and not anything floral – but that is just fine with me. Most fruity oolong thst I’ve had have been with a green oolong base, this one is a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Just got home from supper out with my old roommate Shauna and her boyfriend; they actually picked the pub we went to and it was really, really nice there. I ended up drinking a lot so I’m just a...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: peach, crème fraîche, iris, lime blossom
Feels Like: georgia o’keefe flowers

The iris is a flower long revered for its majesty. It has been a favorite of royalty and artists for centuries. One of the most intriguing depictions of the iris is found in the graceful curves and vibrance of Georgia O’Keefe’s paintings. The aroma of this tea is flamboyant, its texture silky. It has the unmistakable scent of iris: an accord of lime blossom and creamy vanilla. At first, the bright acidity of peach and lime dominate. The next sip deepens with the velvetiness of roasted oolong. Peach and rose are the notes that linger. Adding milk introduces pistachio and white chocolate flavors. Chilling this tea deepens its earthiness to bring out roasted peach and dirty rose notes. An experience as mysterious and elegant as the intoxicating spring flower.

A tea perfect for afternoons and evenings of luxurious reverie.

Ingredients: formosa oolong tea, dried peach, persian pistachio, white chocolate, rose petals, flavoring

About August Uncommon Tea View company

I checked out this company because it was getting good reviews on here, has interesting tea descriptions, and was on sale over the holidays. However, I find this company’s marketing off-putting and unnecessarily pretentious. Ok, yes, the name should have tipped me off, but for some reason I had been reading it as August the month rather than august the adjective meaning “majestic”. The first descriptor on their front page is “Tea so modern it’s like nothing you’ve tasted before.” I was originally going to do a line-by-line breakdown of what’s wrong with their FAQ, but at a certain point that’s just free labor. My point is that the things this company claims are uniquely theirs – fancy blends, seasonal batches, and single-cup brewing – have been around for years and are already being done quite well by a number of other companies large and small. A Quarter to Tea, 52teas, Whispering Pines, and Lupicia come to mind off the top of my head. Meanwhile, a more-than-cursory reading of the booklet that comes with your order (and the website) suggests that this may be a dilettante effort: “Tea is unlike coffee in that cold-brewing does not yield flavorful results.” Ahem. Hands up if you’ve enjoyed a fine cold-brewed tea in the past year. Since the weather is getting nicer now, I might try it out with their own blends just to underscore how misguided this is. If a company is going to talk themselves up this much while demonstrating a failure to grasp or respect the basics, their product better be transcendent.

Ok, I’ll concede that it’s good, but it’s not transcendent. This is certainly no Butiki-level excellence. This particular blend tastes a lot like a sweeter version of Lupicia’s Momo Oolong. That one is a more delicate peach oolong but the blends share a distinctive fruity peach flavor. The lime note comes out in the aftertaste, lingering long after the sip is through. I’m not picking up on the pistachio taste, which is unfortunate since that was what attracted me to this blend in the first place. I am picking up on the white chocolate flavor, both creamy and sweet. As the brew cools, the white chocolate and lime flavors become dominant. It’s a nice combo but not quite what I was expecting based on the ingredients.

Ultimately, I will happily finish off the sample and the others that I bought. However, they are not so good as to override my concerns with how the company presents itself. I am probably not their target audience anyway. The marketing seems pretty clearly directed at people who want to be part of the hip, new thing, not people who are into tea for its own sake.

hahaha i agree with a number of your points, but i do like some of their blends. However, never enough to buy them full price, which is something i WOULD do for other companies that aren’t as…uh..i lack the words.

CrowKettle

lol. I’ve never visited their site; I’ve been missing out.

Kaylee

@Sil – I like some of their blends too, including this one. But I only bought them because they were on sale and none of the blends are so unique or must-have that I would spend more of my precious tea budget on a company with such pretentious marketing. I just find it insulting.
@CrowKettle – it really is worth a visit, especially if you are in the mood to mock hipsters.

agreed!

I really didn’t expect to like this tea. When first opening the bag and also during the first steep, it gives off a very, VERY strong scent of peaches. Not the actual fruit, but the kind of tart, sharply sweet smell of peach rings. (D even compared it to peach schnapps.) It took a moment for me to get past the overwhelming candy smell. It does, however, make a very nice cuppa.

The oolong base gives off a buttery, toasty flavor that’s not too strong. It’s mild but it’s decidedly oolong. There’s a sweet fruitiness about it that pairs well with the peachy tones and the light flavor of lime. Underscoring it all is a lush and creamy vanilla note that makes me think of whipped cream or custard. I’ve never had creme fraiche but I can imagine this is exactly how it tastes. It complements the other flavors very nicely. Try as I may, I can’t pick out pistachio at all and the rose acts as a barely present floral note in the background. (I’m thankful for that. I’ve never been a huge fan of rose—or floral based teas in general.) The second steep is more mild on the peaches with the lime and cream notes dominating. It’s a little like key lime pie, without the crust.

Overall good impressions. If you’re wanting something more nutty-floral, you may want to look elsewhere. I think I might restock this tea. The sample is not going to last long. (:

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Custard, Honey, Lime, Peach, Roasted, Vanilla

Mmmmmm this is good. I’m getting more lime than peach, and not anything floral – but that is just fine with me. Most fruity oolong thst I’ve had have been with a green oolong base, this one is a darker oolong – and they chose a good one. The darker base isn’t woody, isn’t smoky or roasty, it’s pretty neutral but definitely oolong. It’s a little creamy, a little fruity (mostly lime), with some oolong notes. I drank this hot but I’m pretty sure it would be good as an iced tea.

I ended up drinking a lot so I’m just a little drunk at the moment – but SO worth it. One of the pub specials for cocktails is called a Lemon Meringue Pie and HOLY SHIT it’s good. But almost kind of evil in how smooth and easy it goes down – I was like four in before I realized the alcohol was hitting me really quickly. I almost ordered their version of Blueberry Tea as well ‘cause I saw it was on their specialty menu and I wanted to compare to the Blueberry Tea I had yesterday, but they were actually out of Orange Pekoe so they couldn’t make it. That just means I have to go back there another time, though…

This is probably gonna be my final tea of the night; I made myself a very small teacup of it when I got home just ‘cause I set it aside before I went out in the afternoon not realizing I’d be back so late and if I don’t make it today I’ll be sad ’cause I really wanted to see how it holds up hot.

I have to say that overall I think it’s better hot than it is cold brewed but I still find it really weird too. The peach is so strong though that it almost negates the other odd flavour pairings and what the peach really reminds me of is when, as a kid, you’d finish off a bag of fuzzy peach candies and then “drink” the little sour sugar crystals from the bottom of the bag. I can’t be the only one who did that, right? But it’s the same intensity with that same really bright and almost sort of shocking vibrancy of sweet and tangy.

The rest of the flavour notes are sweet and borderline creamy pistachio and a touch of a soft roasted note/feel. I don’t think this is nearly as floral hot. That, or I just didn’t get a lot of rose petals in the leaf I used. I can’t really remember what the ratio of stuff I measured out looked like, to be honest.

Marginally bumping my rating up – but in a cautious way. A part of me wonders if the improvement in tonight’s teacup has anything to do with the light buzz I’ve got going on as well.

I was so excited to get this sample (along with a couple of others) in the mail! I tried this one first, and I didn’t steep it for the full five minutes that it said on the package, because I don’t feel like any oolong really needs that long… but maybe I should have, because I feel like I didn’t get all the flavor that was promised to me by the AMAZING smell coming off the dry leaf. I think this is the first time that I have been able to detect all of the scents that the package said were there, instead of just some of them. The most prominent scent was the peach, followed by the pistachio and the crème fraiche, and then after a few whiffs I could smell a hint of lime. But the brew just didn’t deliver. I could taste the peach, and a little bit of the crème fraiche creaminess, but even after sweetening, I couldn’t coax any pistachio or lime flavor out of it. The oolong was nice and bready, and slightly naturally sweet, but weak, like someone swapped half of it out for mineral water (or didn’t steep it long enough… maybe I will try it again steeped for five minutes…?). I liked this tea, but it’s nothing to write home about.