Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: sweet dark cherry, pipe tobacco, limestone, ash
Feels Like: riding high in the saddle at dawn

You’ll love this tea if you like a bit of smoke and sweetness. It’s a tannic blend of three teas, not too smoky, not too sweet. Outlaw is perfect for breakfast with a splash of milk. It’s a strong brew worthy of a cowboy.

A tea for rugged mornings

Ingredients: lapsang souchong smoked tea, assam tea, south indian black tea, german morello cherry, flavoring

About August Uncommon Tea View company

First tea of the morning.

I added some cashew milk into it this time because last time I thought it was a little harsh and I remembered wanting to mellow it out a little bit.

I think the cashew milk is doing wonders here; the tea is definitely still thick and very smoky with tobacco, ash, and leather notes but I don’t feel nearly as assaulted by it and it’s smoother/creamier . Previously, it had a level of astringency that sort of felt the way that nail on a chalkboard sounds. In addition to the wonderful Lapsang, the cherry also comes through very nicely. It’s dark and seductive, and tastes sweet without having the brightness that a bing or maraschino cherry would have. If this cherry note were a person, it’d be at the point in life where it’s a bit of a Silver Fox. You know, still very hot/attractive but with hair starting to grey and wrinkles in just the right places. Yes, this cherry is the Clooney of cherries…

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_nBEgwCaw&index=1&list=WL

Ah, perfect mood music! Completely matches the tone of the tea and is submersive in every way. Plus, Iwan Rheon is just so nice to look at. Whether you see him as Simon from Misfits or Ramsey from GoT I think you’ve gotta agree the man can sing…

Nattie

I didn’t know Iwan Rheon had his own songs! To me he is Ash from Vicious lol, but I agree about him being nice to look at.

Roswell Strange

I’ve never seen Vicious – would you recommend it? And yes! His music is SO GOOD.

Nattie

It depends on the kind of thing you like to watch, I come down on the side of HELL YES but I also know some people that hate it… I have a deep and abiding love for Ian McKellen, Derek Jacobi, sitcoms and anything camp so I’m biased lol. I’d recommend giving it a shot if you don’t hate anything I’ve listed haha (:

Evol Ving Ness

Can women be silver foxes?

Roswell Strange

Hmm, I’d think so?

Evol Ving Ness

I’ve never heard the term referring to a woman. My mind jumped immediately to a male and then, boom, Clooney.

Nattie

Silver vixen for a woman? I immediately think of Clooney too lol.

Thanks for sending this one my way for me to try Dexter The dry tea is incredibly smokey, but that translates in to a brew that is not quite AS smokey as the dry suggests. When this is first made, all i can taste is the smoke. Good for me that i enjoy the occasional smokey cup. As it cools though, the cherry starts to peek through and it becomes a cup with much more going on. Going to need to try this one again to decide where i stand on it :)

Final Count yesterday: 80

Dexter

I didn’t find this one as smokey as you are suggesting. Odd for sure, changes as it cools – definitely. I’ve had it a few times and am still on the fence. I think it’s better with less leaf, cooler water and longer steeps – but that’s just me. :)

yeah i’ve got more to play with. Maybe i was just having a smoke sensitive day haha

I got my August Uncommon order today. So excited. Their packaging is so beautiful – the tins are sealed with pop off lids. I got a free scoop and a little brewing guide book, there was also a handwritten note – I love personal touches like that.
IMHO all August Uncommon blends are a little unusual and this one is no exception. I can’t quite put my finger on what this is like. It’s a little smokey. It’s a little cherry. There is some bitter – kind of like dark chocolate but not quite. There are other notes in here that I can’t quite decide what they are. Odd but in an interesting sort of way. This is complex and balanced but still confusing somehow. I’m on the fence a little on if I “like” it. I feel it grow on me and it certainly is interesting enough to keep me coming back for another taste. Will resteep it to see how it changes.

Look forward to seeing where you land with this one heh

Dexter

It’s better as it cools. There is something that us reminding me of dark bread… not caraway…that’s a different tea but something dark and yeasty

Dexter

Less leaf cooler water longer steep = less weirdness. Little sweetener splash of milk = happy Dex