Cherry Bakewell

Fruit White Blend
Almonds, Apple, Blue Cornflowers, Cranberries, Currants, Flavour, Hibiscus, Red Cornflower, Rose Hips, White Tea
Almond, Cherry, Marzipan, Hibiscus, Rosehips, Tart
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “So this is not at all what I had anticipated… which is actually a positive thing! I was expecting a sweet, amaretto tea (but was hoping it leaned more on the cherry side). However, it’s actually...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to Mastress Alita for this sample! I was surprised by how light the flavor is. The flavor is mostly white tea. It’s a bit flowery, and it’s quite pleasant, just not at all what I was...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am drinking this tea with my young cousins Robyn and Mason, who are drinking flavoured tea for the first time. Later, I will write a full review of my own thoughts on it but for now here is what...” Read full tasting note
  • “There isn’t a ton of white tea flavor coming through, but I’m okay with that. This blend is primarily cherries and marzipan to my taste buds. I’m not sure what’s contributing to the baked goods...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Cherry and almond white tea, a classic tea time treat!

Bakewell Tart is the classic tea time treat with juicy cherries and sweet almond. This luxury white tea blend is bursting with the same fruit juices and hints of sweet almond nuts, making it the perfect afternoon tea choice.

Chinese white tea, apple, rosehip, hibiscus, cornflowers (red + blue), almond pieces, currants, cranberry pieces, flavour

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

So this is not at all what I had anticipated… which is actually a positive thing! I was expecting a sweet, amaretto tea (but was hoping it leaned more on the cherry side). However, it’s actually quite lightly flavoured, a mix of cherry and nuttiness, and an absolutely lovely white tea base. It reminds me of Butiki’s blends, which is a high compliment – it’s not in-your-face flavoured, though certainly isn’t bland, but the tea is allowed to shine through quite beautifully.

Now, is it Cherry Bakewell? I haven’t the faintest idea. Cherry Bakewell makes me think of like, cherry dumplings or something (it also makes me think of Bakelite, which makes me think of bakeware, haha. That’s a weird association, for sure.) I’m not sure it tastes anything like that, but it’s cherry and a hint of almond and white tea goodness, which combine to be delicious. I really hope subsequent cups are this good!

Thanks to Mastress Alita for this sample! I was surprised by how light the flavor is. The flavor is mostly white tea. It’s a bit flowery, and it’s quite pleasant, just not at all what I was expecting. The flavor gets much more pleasant as it cools. I prefer bolder flavors, so I won’t be ordering this one, but I’m happy to have tried it, and now I want to try a tea that’s more accurate to an actual cherry bakewell because that sounds delicious!

I am drinking this tea with my young cousins Robyn and Mason, who are drinking flavoured tea for the first time. Later, I will write a full review of my own thoughts on it but for now here is what they think:

Robyn – It is a wonderful tea for my first one I would recommend it. You can not really taste the almond but you can taste the cherry and it’s really good with one sugar!

Mason – This is the best tea I have ever tasted. I think you SHOULD try it and if you don’t like it put one sugar in because it tastes nicer.

There isn’t a ton of white tea flavor coming through, but I’m okay with that. This blend is primarily cherries and marzipan to my taste buds. I’m not sure what’s contributing to the baked goods note/flavor, but it adds a bit of depth that’s, quite frankly, a surprise considering the short steep time. It’s really quite a nice little blend, and it’s making me wish I had some cherry bakewell tarts to accompany my cuppa.

Flavors: Almond, Cherry, Marzipan

One of my colleagues is drinking Irish Cream flavoured coffee, which smells DIVINE, but I must not let myself be tempted over to the dark side. I’m countering with Cherry Bakewell tea, which is equally amazing, and which looks a lot nicer to boot. Who doesn’t want whole cherries with their tea? It’s so PINK!

I totally get frangipane, cherry jam, and water icing from this one. It’s an amazing concoction, and I fortunately I have plenty more left. Yay for tea!

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp
Fjellrev

What a yummy-sounding counter attack! I hope the coffee drinker was jealous.

Another from the Bluebird sale! Thanks again everyone for making my Bluebird Steepster split order dream happen. :D I HAD to try this one today after reading Cameron B’s description of the dessert this one is inspired from yesterday. The blend itself looks gorgeous but mostly flowers – a lot of red and blue cornflowers. The scent is mostly almond marzipan. There is also hibiscus in the blend that I thought might ruin this… but it doesn’t. The resulting brew is interesting – it’s a lavender periwinkle light pink color! Must just be one piece of hibiscus in there or something. The fragrance is also marzipan… promising so far! The flavor is a little light but it’s nice.. not really cherry, but there seems to be currants and cranberries in the blend rather than cherry. Really the cup has just a hint of indistinguishable fruity flavor. But there is a starchy bakey texture happening somehow. Not a ton of white tea here to impact the flavor (maybe I’m getting a fresh sweet lemony flavor from the white tea or that is where the starch is coming from) but the marzipan is nice. If I used two teaspoons (which I really would prefer not to since this one is a bit on the pricy side) the cup might have had more flavor but I wish that Bluebird would have just used hints of the cornflowers… it seems like too many pretty flowers taking flavor away of a possibly very tasty tea.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons // 30 min after boiling // 2 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // 25 min after boiling // 3 min

Time to get back to trying my teas from the Bluebird Tea Co. group order! This tea is based on the English dessert, which is some combination of pastry, jam, and almond filling. Yum! This blend doesn’t have much actual tea in it. I can see some silver needles, but there are a ton of fuchsia flower petals along with apple, rose hip, hibiscus, almond, and a couple dried cherry pieces. Dry scent is sweet/tart cherry candy and marzipan.

I must say, the color of the steeped tea is quite lovely. It’s a beautiful transparent combination of orange, red, and pink and it reminds me of a glowing gemstone. Hmm… I’m honestly somewhat disappointed with this one. It just generally tastes weak. I can taste the hibiscus/rose hips along with tart dried cherry and just a little bit of marzipan near the end and in the aftertaste. Definitely no white tea at all. Overall, it’s kind of just a weak, tart tea. The cherry flavor redeems it a bit, but not much.

Flavors: Cherry, Hibiscus, Marzipan, Rosehips, Tart

Fjellrev

This sounds like such a wonderful combination. Are you going to try to cold brew it?

Cameron B.

I don’t generally make cold brews or iced teas… :(

Fjellrev

Aww that’s too bad. Just not your thing?

Cameron B.

I might just try it with this one anyway, since it’s a bit tart for me when it’s hot.

Fjellrev

Yeah, I’m not a fan of hibiscus hot. It’s so thick and tart, ech.

Cameron B.

I’m just not a fan in general, unless it’s really faint or sweetened. Boo hiss hibiscus!