Beet Root, Black Tea, Calendula Petals, Cocoa Bean Shells, Flavour, Pomegranate, Sunflower Petals, Vanilla Pieces, White Chocolate
Chocolate
High
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

3 Images

• “I thought I had written a tasting note for this! I’ve had this a few times since I bought it, but it never tastes how I want it to taste. Today was a bit closer to actually being like Red Velvet...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is another tea that I purchased from Tea-Sipper’s stash sale. The dryleaf has an assortment of stuff in it including a ton of cocoa shells. It brews up a lovely reddish pink color due to the...” Read full tasting note
  • “096/365 This was the second of Bluebird’s Valentine’s Day teas for this year. I missed this the first time round, because I think it was released during my time in the wilderness when I wasn’t...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Indulge in a slice of Bluebird’s rich tea Red Velvet cake – it really is as decadent as it sounds, with luxurious Sri Lankan black tea, cocoa shells, white chocolate sprinkles, beetroot slices + pomegranate flowers. Afternoon tea in the sun just got fun!

Ingredients: Sri Lankan black tea, beetroot, cocoa shells, white chocolate sprinkles (sugar, cocoa butter, whole and skimmed milk powder, natural flavour), pomegranate flowers, vanilla pieces, sunflower petals, calendula petals, flavour.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I thought I had written a tasting note for this! I’ve had this a few times since I bought it, but it never tastes how I want it to taste. Today was a bit closer to actually being like Red Velvet for me. I’m not sure if I was steeping it differently or just the mix of ingredients in the heaping teaspoon was perfect? The cocoa shells are the hugest I’ve seen, and maybe B&B added the flavoring to the cocoa shells or something? Sadly I wasn’t paying attention to how long I steeped. But the mug was darker than usual, so probably longer than I usually would (3 minutes). The main difference this time is I used a different mug/infuser. The mug was smaller. But with past steeps, I very possibly tried a teaspoon and a half with my bigger mug. So why is the black tea deeper this time around? But the flavor is there this time. The beetroot here is essential for ‘Red Velvet’. It does give the cup that hint of red. A ton of chocolate flavor and more hints of that cream cheese/frosting flavor I was missing. Before I was only tasting chocolate. So this is finicky but delicious when done right. Not my favorite from B&B but I’m learning to like it more and more and I can always appreciate those cocoa shells.
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for a full mug// 12 minutes after boiling // 4? minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 5 minute steep

This is another tea that I purchased from Tea-Sipper’s stash sale.

The dryleaf has an assortment of stuff in it including a ton of cocoa shells.
It brews up a lovely reddish pink color due to the beetroot. Upon first taste It reminds me almost exactly of Spice & Tea Exchange’s Black Chocolate tea. So I compared ingredients and while this tea has many the Black Chocolate tea only has black tea and chocolate flavoring. They both use Sri Lanka Black Tea as the base though and of course are chocolate teas.

I can see a lot of people really liking this.
This tastes just like chocolate cake without the frosting. I always am disappointed when teas are named Red Velvet but lack the cream cheese aspect. Even a bit of raspberry flavor would be nice to give you some aspect of the red velvet part since some recipes have raspberry included. The best part of red velvet to me is the frosting. So until I find a red velvet tea with the cream cheese aspect I don’t need to buy more for my cupboard.

Flavors: Chocolate

096/365

This was the second of Bluebird’s Valentine’s Day teas for this year. I missed this the first time round, because I think it was released during my time in the wilderness when I wasn’t really drinking/buying much/any tea. I’m still not quite sure what I was thinking, to be honest, but I’m certainly glad it’s over!

Anyway, I’m really glad to have had the opportunity to try this one, and it’s definitely my favourite of the two. Initially, it smells very much like Love Potion – there’s a strong, artificial strawberry scent that’s quite overpowering. Brewed, though, it’s a different story. Firstly, it’s pink! I know colour shouldn’t be a factor, but I can certainly get behind a pink tea. It’s a cheering thing just to look at. I made this one as a latte, because that’s very much my thing at the moment, and it was Bluebird’s recommended preparation method. I went with their suggestions, only adjusted for a smaller glass – something like 3tsp tea in 100ml water, with 150ml milk, 1/2 tsp honey, and 1/4 tsp vanilla essence. I’m really pleased with how it came out!

To taste, it’s much more in line with my expectations – liquid chocolate cake, and very creamy. It’s very reminiscent of its namesake, although obviously without the cream cheese icing. This one turns out pink because it contains beetroot, but that’s not much of a presence in flavour terms. I think it perhaps would be if I brewed it straight rather than as a latte, but here it’s just pure, perfect chocolate.

It definitely cheered up an irritating work week!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 3 OZ / 100 ML