Jasmine Poached Pears

Fruit Green Blend
Hay, Jasmine, Mint, Pear, Dry Grass, Grass, Artificial, Bubblegum, Candy, Sweet, Fruity, Smooth, Green, Floral, Tangy, Custard, Fruit Punch
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “Decided to brew this one, though I have several pouches unopened from previous subscription envelopes, but this one is new for me! April 2021 subscription To be honest, I have no idea what poached...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been wishing I could try this one, and they brought it back, yay! Plus it was in my subscription box for April! Honestly though, I’m very underwhelmed. I mostly get the dry, grassy Chinese...” Read full tasting note
  • “ Samurai TTB #48 I love pear but am ambivalent about jasmine, so I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this one. Thankfully the jasmine is muted by the fruitiness of the pear so this comes across as a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was so, so excited to see that this was available in the Boxing Day sale from Bird and Blend. It’s a flavor that was offered before I was aware of B&B, and one that I had been desperately...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

We do appreciate a simple combo every now and again and, in our humble opinion, nothing beats a jasmine green tea. Traditionally, Jasmine teas are scented by laying jasmine blossom onto the tea leaves as they dry. This pear green tea blend ticks both fruity and floral.

Chinese Sencha green tea, pear pieces, jasmine blossom, natural flavouring

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

April 2021 subscription

To be honest, I have no idea what poached pears are and I don’t expect it means stolen pears. Or being hunted down illegally. I guess I need an enlightenment for that.

Anyway, I have a few green tea based flavoured teas, but pear… is quite uncommon and not sure if I had it before. Although pears are common here (we even have a few trees in garden), I rarely see pear teas in stores.

Honestly, this tea is quite interesting, but somehow, boring? When I brewed it I got rather some minty notes, like bubble gum rather than jasmine. Lightly the pears. After three minutes steeping I got quite basic green tea with some hints of jasmine and pears, but not in distinctive way I have been expecting. It was underwhelming, especially after reading so rave reviews beforehand. It wasn’t that flavourful as I have been hoping for.

I am with Cameron B. hoping for more flavourful sessions in the 20 grams I have got. Now, it’s shamefully underflavoured.

Flavors: Hay, Jasmine, Mint, Pear

Cameron B.

I agree with you on the bubblegum, I wonder if this new batch is just not as good? And “poached” means cooked in liquid at a low heat, for pears usually they would be cooked in syrup or wine.

Martin Bednář

Thank you Cameron B. for explanation of poached. Not a word used in daily English :D

Cameron B.

No, definitely not! Most common is probably poached eggs, as they are used in Eggs Benedict.

AJRimmer

Poached eggs are the best eggs.

Evol Ving Ness

Or port1. Poached pears in port.

Martin Bednář

Ah, I know poached eggs. It’s called completely differently in Czech.

Martin Bednář

Hmm, poached pears in port. Sounds nice!

tea-sipper

I don’t remember this blend tasting like bubblegum, so sadly it must be the new batches.

Honestly though, I’m very underwhelmed. I mostly get the dry, grassy Chinese sencha base. There’s very little jasmine and even less pear…

Hmm… Well, we’ll see if my opinion changes as I sip my way through the 20g pouch.

Flavors: Dry Grass, Grass

Martin Bednář

I am looking forward to try this one. Well, now I hope I got better impression than you. Hopefully you will get other opinion, as it seems so well received overall.

Samurai TTB #48

I love pear but am ambivalent about jasmine, so I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this one. Thankfully the jasmine is muted by the fruitiness of the pear so this comes across as a lightly floral fruity green tea rather than a mouthful of jasmine perfume. The green tea base was nice and smooth. I quite enjoyed this one and I think it would be even better iced!

Flavors: Fruity, Jasmine, Pear, Smooth

Nichole/CuppaGeek

This sounds delightful!

Inkling

It was a nice surprise!

Mastress Alita

I am not a general fan of jasmine, but I love this one!

I was so, so excited to see that this was available in the Boxing Day sale from Bird and Blend. It’s a flavor that was offered before I was aware of B&B, and one that I had been desperately wanting to try. I snagged two bags, and they arrived today! I immediately brewed up a cup, and it’s just as I had hoped it would be. Perfect harmony between the jasmine and pear. The green tea is present, but not overwhelming.

Flavors: Green, Jasmine, Pear

tea-sipper

I’m glad you finally got to try it! Their sales are so random. haha

amandastory516

They are super random! I appreciate that though, always something new to try.

Mastress Alita

I had asked them in a comment on the last Tea Elections if they would ever bring this one back for the Tea Elections (not expecting it to ever win or anything) JUST so I could finally order it again. When I saw it in the Boxing Day Sale (and not sold out by the time my overseas self got the e-mail) I about shit myself. Was so happy to get to order a bag. It’s one of my favs… which is saying a lot because I usually really dislike jasmine teas, but love this one!

May Flowers! This is one of the teas that came in my mega-Bluebird cupboard sale from tea-sipper (thanks, tea-sipper!) and this seems like a very appro-po time to try it!

I can’t drink a plain, jasmine-scented tea as they are just too strong for me and come off to me like drinking perfume because of the aroma, which aggrevates my migraine-head much the same way as standing next to someone wearing too-strong perfume, but I’ve found I’m usually okay with teas that are lightly scented, by blending jasmine teas with other teas, or just including the flower blooms or petals into a blend with other scents and ingredients. When I brewed up this tea, I could definitely smell a jasmine aroma, but it wasn’t the strong, overpowering aroma I got from my experience trying jasmine pearls, it was softer, sweeter, but still very floral.

The taste of the tea was wonderful; this is the kind of jasmine tea I could drink all day! The pear base is lovely; it’s a lighter pear taste than, say, the strong juicy taste of 52Teas Pear Chai, but the jasmine notes come through easily so the two flavors blend nicely. There is the slightest bit of fruit tanginess, followed by a soft, floral sweetness. Overall, I’d say this is probably one of the nicest green blends I’ve tried and really hope Bird & Blend Co. gives it a reboot at some point!

Flavors: Floral, Jasmine, Pear, Smooth, Sweet, Tangy

One of Bluebird’s sales teas that is now GONE. I’m happy I get to try it. Surprisingly when I open the pouch, there is the fragrance of a ton of pear but not so much jasmine. I was hoping for an equal balance of the two, but the pear flavor is AMAZINGLY authentic. I’m sure the little pear bits don’t hurt the flavor either. The jasmine doesn’t seem to add much. But I’m loving this pear buttery green tea anyway.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug // 28 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // 25 min after boiling // 3 minute steep

Flavors: Pear

Lexie Aleah

Sounds delicious

tea-sipper

Sorry, I already packaged up your teas or I’d throw some of this with them. :D

Michelle

Sounds yummy!

Jlvintagelove

that one sounds really good!

The notes of this blend are fruity, creamy and sour rolled into one. Is it weird to say that it smells like rhubarb and custard sweets? Probably, but it totally does! Jasmine Poached Pears tastes fruity, with a light jasmine flavour that combines with a tickle of grassy sencha. As a massive lover of jasmine, my heart ached for a strong jasmine note, so the gentleness was initially disappointing. But, the more I worked my way through the blend, the more I appreciated the balance of fruit and florals. Not exactly what I was expecting, but I ended up loving it!

For more on tea: www.tastethetea.co.uk

Flavors: Custard, Fruit Punch, Jasmine