Salted Caramel Matcha

Matcha Tea
Cocoa, Matcha Green Tea, Natural Flavours
Caramel, Cream, Salt, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Artificial, Burnt Sugar, Butter, Cocoa, Grass, Smooth, Toffee, Custard
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
150 °F / 65 °C 6 oz / 179 ml

• “Holiday Tea-son! This was yesterday’s advent calendar tea, but I had work and don’t really have the time to make matcha before work, so I was saving it for this weekend. I got a migraine at work,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 20 Another repeat here, as this one was also in B&B’s tea advent calendar. It’s also a single-serving stick, so I prepared it using only 4 ounces...” Read full tasting note
  • “315/365 Latte! I’ve been waiting for the autumn before breaking this one out, and since it’s pretty much here I figured I could finally give in. This one’s a blend of matcha, cocoa powder, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Latte! This definitely tastes like caramel – it’s very smooth, and rich and has a great creamyness to it that definitely gives me dulce de leche crossed with those tiny cube shaped convenience...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A new limited edition flavour – Salted Caramel Matcha!

Nothing beats a dollop of homemade salted caramel that melts away in your mouth! Insider scoop – founder Krisi said this is her favourite matcha creation yet because it is the perfect balance of sweet and oh so smooth!

Japanese matcha green tea, cocoa powder, natural flavouring granules.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Holiday Tea-son! This was yesterday’s advent calendar tea, but I had work and don’t really have the time to make matcha before work, so I was saving it for this weekend. I got a migraine at work, my medicine didn’t work, and I just stuck it through like I so often do, so today my migraine is waaaaay worse, so… now I am home with a migraine, and am making matcha in one of the brief moments I am awake to force food into my overly-nauseous stomach that doesn’t want food. Meh.

Prepared as a latte with vanilla almond milk, using my milk frother for all the wisking, because I am lame.

It smells nice; surprisingly does have that salted caramel aroma, usually when I see teas marketed as such, they tasted caramelly, but never like salted caramel and then I get underwhelmed. This at least has the aroma right, if nothing else. The flavor… yes, I’d say that is probably more on spot to salted caramel than any other tea I’ve tried with that name before, so I’m impressed! It’s sweet and creamy, and again, very light on the actual matcha flavor, though I am getting a very subtle grassiness from this one, sort of as an aftertaste, beneath the caramel flavor.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Salt, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass

175 °F / 79 °C 1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 20

Another repeat here, as this one was also in B&B’s tea advent calendar. It’s also a single-serving stick, so I prepared it using only 4 ounces of soy milk.

This one is not a favorite for me. I find the flavoring to be both too strong and too artificial for my tastes. It does have a sort of caramel-custard flavor to it, and tastes quite similar to their Ice Cream Matcha.

Anyway, the jam! Today it’s Orange-Mandarin (Orange-Mandarine) spread. I’m not generally a fan of maramalades, but this one is quite yummy! There is no peel in here that I can see, so I’m sure that helps with the bitterness. It’s fresh and zingy orange, and I can definitely taste the mandarin. There are lovely notes of lemon as well. Yum!

Flavors: Artificial, Caramel, Custard, Sweet

Iced 4 OZ / 118 ML

315/365

Latte! I’ve been waiting for the autumn before breaking this one out, and since it’s pretty much here I figured I could finally give in. This one’s a blend of matcha, cocoa powder, and “natural flavouring granules” which are tiny white beads. They worried me to begin with, then I decided they might be salt, and then I finally looked up the ingredients are realised it was all good. I whisked my ¼ tsp into about an inch of hot water, and initially it works up quite an inky shade of black. I guess that’s the cocoa powder! I topped it up with boiling milk, at which point it turns an intriguing shade of grey. Fairly unusual in tea, but I it would make a good Halloween offering!

So, anyway. It smells delicious – like chocolate and caramel. It tastes pretty good, too – not nearly as intense as it smells, but getting there. It’s quite salty, which contrasts well with the sweetness (I clearly have a talent for stating the obvious, since that’s the whole point…) but the salt does linger just a little too much for my tastes. The caramel is nicely prominent, the chocolate definitely a secondary flavour, and the green tea remains firmly in the background. It more than lives up to its name, though, and on the whole I’m happy. I could take a bit less salt, simply because it’s the last thing I can taste and it builds up a little too much with successive sips, but that’s just personal preference. I’d happily drink this one again – it’s a desserty wonder!

Latte!

This definitely tastes like caramel – it’s very smooth, and rich and has a great creamyness to it that definitely gives me dulce de leche crossed with those tiny cube shaped convenience store caramel vibes. You know, fancy/elevated caramel meets nostalgic caramel of your childhood. I can’t help but compare this one to Red Leaf Tea’s very popular caramel matcha and maybe it’s because I haven’t had the RLT one in AGES but I think I prefer this one? It’s not as over the top sweet to me, while still having a very accurate/authentic taste.

The trade off here, though, is that as much as I enjoyed the caramel notes of the tea I didn’t get ANY semblance of ‘salt’ in the taste – and this is supposed to be salted caramel, after all. But if you can get over that small miss, I think that as a whole this blend is a total winner.