Black Tea, Flavor, Sunflower Petals
Astringent, Bitter, Butter, Caramel, Malt, Tannic
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “I’ve been hoarding a 50g bag for awhile now. I really enjoy this tea. Very simple, but so delightful. I tend to gravitate towards simple black tea+vanilla or caramel.They’re my favorite to drink in...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea smells absolutely lovely – richly caramelly and decadent. The flavour doesn’t quite match, however – there’s a hint of caramel, but it’s mostly just a slightly astringent, malty black tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “365 Days of Tea Challenge – Day 27 Yep, it’s Bird & Blend again. What can I say, I’m a bit of a fangirl… Unfortunately, this one is underwhelming me. It smells nice, like a rich salted caramel...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, as previously established, I’m a total sucker for a name. If I had seen this tea listed with a more generically caramel-y name I might have thought “hmm, sounds good. I like caramel teas....” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Product description not available yet.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I’ve been hoarding a 50g bag for awhile now. I really enjoy this tea. Very simple, but so delightful. I tend to gravitate towards simple black tea+vanilla or caramel.They’re my favorite to drink in the morning with honey and oat milk. Because this was limited edition, I’ve been savoring it. But, I was happy to see that it was being restocked in limited quantities. It was going to be released at 8am UK time (which equates to midnight my time), but I knew it would sell out quickly, so I was ready to buy it right at release time. I actually went to a KISS concert the night it was released, but still managed to remember to try to grab some when I got home. Lo and behold, it sold out in 10 minutes. I missed it. I was very sad. I woke up at 3:30am and couldn’t get back to sleep, so started browsing Instagram and B&B had posted that it was restocked. Glory be. I got 3 50g bags, the new Spring teas, and a couple miscellaneous teas I’d been wanting to try (I’m supposed to be on a tea ban).

Anyway, because I was able to score some more, I made a nice big cup of Butter Brew this morning. Glorious. The smell is absolutely divine. Rich caramel and brown sugar. I’ve made the recipe on the B&B website before (cream soda, oat milk, and Butter Brew) and it’s very good, I need to make it again. I will say, I’m a Universal pass holder and get Butterbeer from the park quite often, this doesn’t really taste anything like it, but it’s something special in itself.

Mastress Alita

Wait a second, I thought this had won the Tea Elections at one point to get a “permanent” spot at one point? Over tea-sippers Jelly + Ice Cream, I remember how mad she was about that…

The Tea Elections is like, the one time a year their “rotational” teas become permanent, if that isn’t even the case anymore… I call foul, B&B… >_>

tea-sipper

haha, yeah, that’s what I was wondering! I thought Butter Brew would be stocked all the time. Now I don’t feel so bad about Jelly & Ice cream.

Oh crap, I just realized I’m drinking Jelly + Ice Cream now. haha

amandastory516

I’m not sure what happened there! Maybe they were trying to drum up some hype (if that’s the case…it worked).

Mastress Alita

Ya, but it pretty much makes the whole point of the Tea Elections pointless…

This tea smells absolutely lovely – richly caramelly and decadent. The flavour doesn’t quite match, however – there’s a hint of caramel, but it’s mostly just a slightly astringent, malty black tea that I’m tasting. I’m thinking a hint of sweetener might help it out a bit, although I was hoping that that wouldn’t be the case. It tastes very much like some past 52teas, maybe Weeping Angel? So I like it despite the lack of sweetness – just wanted more from it!

Tried adding a bit of sugar – it actually doesn’t taste any better, which is kind of too bad. The astringency seems to come out more, and the caramelly flavour isn’t as noticeable. I guess I’ll just enjoy it as is.

tea-sipper

I will never drink this one for the simple fact that it beat Jelly + Ice Cream in the permanent tea wall vote. :/

Kittenna

Haha. I wouldn’t say you’re missing much.

365 Days of Tea Challenge – Day 27

Yep, it’s Bird & Blend again. What can I say, I’m a bit of a fangirl…

Unfortunately, this one is underwhelming me.

It smells nice, like a rich salted caramel sauce. But the caramel doesn’t come forward as strongly in the flavor. I think it’s partially because this has a rather strong black tea base – there’s definitely some Assam in there, and perhaps also Ceylon. To me, the caramel flavoring isn’t strong enough to compete with such a powerful black tea blend.

I even tried adding a touch of sugar to help coax the caramel out, but it didn’t seem to help much. Plus, I never add sugar to my tea, so it just tastes weird to me! XD

I do have a full 50g of this one (it was one of the teas that popped up randomly during their big Boxing Day sale). Next time I’ll definitely try to play with the steep time, to see if I can subdue the base a little and let the caramel shine a bit more. I’m sure this would make a delicious latte as well.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Butter, Caramel, Malt, Tannic

Mastress Alita

I don’t have B&B’s Butterbrew, but at least with the one I have, vanilla almond milk (sweetened) works wonders making a tea latte. No additional sweeteners needed, just the milk.

Cameron B.

Yeah, I may try it as a vanilla soy latte next time around! It’s just not something I often do as a tea preparation. :)

Mastress Alita

It isn’t my go-to preparation either, but if a tea is particularly bitter/astrigent or a chai overly spicy, it can work wonders.

So, as previously established, I’m a total sucker for a name.
If I had seen this tea listed with a more generically caramel-y name I might have thought “hmm, sounds good. I like caramel teas. Maybe I’ll get that,” but as it was named after a Harry Potter thing, I clicked add to cart immediately.
It smells fantastic in loose leaf form, rich and decadent. It brewed up a little plainer than that, at least in this steeping, but I wasn’t watching my steep times, so there is still hope for the flavor. I am looking forward to the next cup!

288/365

This one is part of Bird & Blend’s recent Fairytale collection, which I basically ignored until I was placing an order for the new Store Blends collection – who knows why? It wasn’t lack of interest, that’s for sure! Anyway, I got there eventually.

I made this one up as a latte, because butter beer. I don’t think there are any other options. I used 3 tsp of leaf, and gave it 4 minutes in 250ml boiling water. I topped it off with 150ml hot milk, frothed.

This one’s good. The last blend I tried that could be considered remotely similar was Adagio’s Beer Butter, and that one had it’s strengths, but this one is probably more in line with my own personal thoughts about Butter Beer. It’s deliciously caramelly, very smooth and creamy (the milk probably helps…), and the frothiness (again, the milk…) is just perfection. The base is a blend of Assam and Sri Lankan black teas, so pretty sweet and malty to begin with; the addition of the caramel flavouring just takes things to another level.

In terms of uniqueness, it’s probably doesn’t really have massive amounts to offer. There are some seriously great caramel black teas out there – some by Butiki and Mariage Freres spring to mind, for example. The thing about this one is the fandom connection – so basically the name – which give it a little something that help it to step beyond being just another caramel black. I mean, it is just another caramel black, when you really get down to it, but I guess that’s marketing for you! I’d have bought this one for its name regardless.

It’s good, though. Really good…and there’s always a place for a decent caramel tea in my cupboard. If it comes with a HP connection, then so much the better.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp
tea-sipper

I can’t wait to read what you have to say about their new Store Blends collection…. :D