Smoky Earl Grey

Citrus, Meat, Smoked, Bergamot, Bitter, Dark Wood, Smoke, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by gramarye1971

• “…a very elegant tea. The refreshing hints of lemon are pushing trough in a rather pleasant kind of way. The flavors of the Lapsang are balanced perfectly and very harmonious which still allows one...” Read full tasting note
  • “There was a huuuuge tin of this in the tea box, and the smoky scent was much too strong. I put it back thinking that I definitely wouldn’t like it, but hey, what’s a tea box for if not expanding...” Read full tasting note
  • “As I said in a tasting note a day or two ago for Fortnum’s Russian Caravan, last weekend I went to a teahouse with three friends. I didn’t order this tea, it was the selection of one of the friends...” Read full tasting note
  • “A tea bag only. Busy days recently. And I haven’t slept well too. So, after sleepless night (I slept few hours only in total) – I was craving for caffeine boost. I found in my tea bag stash this...” Read full tasting note

From Fortnum & Mason

First created in response to a specific request from the Palace for a smokier Earl Grey, this unique blend combines traditional bergamot with a touch of Lapsang and Gunpowder tea. For years it was the only Earl Grey available at Fortnum’s.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

…a very elegant tea. The refreshing hints of lemon are pushing trough in a rather pleasant kind of way. The flavors of the Lapsang are balanced perfectly and very harmonious which still allows one to detect all the other notes that are part of this blend.I am extremely pleased to find that there is no astringency going on…something that is normally quite common with Lapsangs. However, it seems to me that, if brewed with water on boiling point, the tea tends to come across a bit rough.
If one keeps the water temperature below 85 degrees Celsiuis the tea starts to unfold it’s fragile flavors in a very gentle manner…the whole story becomes soft and silky.
It would not be my first choice for breakfast as there is no strong awakening effect…but it is a great tea for late afternoons…

There was a huuuuge tin of this in the tea box, and the smoky scent was much too strong. I put it back thinking that I definitely wouldn’t like it, but hey, what’s a tea box for if not expanding your horizons? I just put the tea in my cup and strained it instead of using a steeper because I didn’t want my steeper to be permanently scented. It’s that strong. I added lots of sugar and milk to try to tame the smokiness. It’s super smoky and meaty. I don’t dislike it as much as I expected, but I spent several days trying to finish my large mug and never could. There’s not much bergamot here, unfortunately. I really can’t picture someone enjoying this, but I guess there are plenty of people who do!

Martin Bednář

I do like smoky EG, but just a tiny bit :) This was too smoky for me as well.

As I said in a tasting note a day or two ago for Fortnum’s Russian Caravan, last weekend I went to a teahouse with three friends. I didn’t order this tea, it was the selection of one of the friends I was with – however he kindly poured me the last teacup worth from his pot so that I could try it as well!

Smoky Earl Grey doesn’t appeal to me as a concept – I think that’s too busy/aggresive in terms of flavour profile. Lapsang is already a VERY intense/bold flavour, and Earl Grey also has the potential to be quite intense and aromatic. Combined? That’s a fine line you’re walking, good sir!

That said – my pot of selection tea, the Russian Caravan, had been VERY thin tasting and felt under leafed so switching from that somewhat disappointing infusion to this one was like drinking water after walking for miles in a hot dessert. What would normally have been borderline for me was rich flavour compared to a disappointing first pot of tea. I actually liked it a lot in this situation even if it wasn’t something that normally would have spoken to me.

Martin Bednář

I like smoky EG, but just a little. Not only smokiness and bergamot flavours. Apparently I have it before and thought it is too smoky for me as well.

A tea bag only.

Busy days recently. And I haven’t slept well too. So, after sleepless night (I slept few hours only in total) – I was craving for caffeine boost. I found in my tea bag stash this one. And it’s certainly from “huge bags section”.

Maybe it’s even sipdown, I am not really sure if I have another bag there. I don’t care to be honest.

Tea itself was steeped quite short, but I was afraid of getting too bitter drink. Brew is very dark, brown colour. Looks steeped even after two minutes. And they sugest three.

I took the bag out, went downstairs to enjoy it with my dad. He felt earlier this week and he have partly broken bone in the leg. So, I have to bring him food, drinks and so on. We had nice discussion together, although (and naturally) we don’t agree in all points.

Back to the tea. It is maybe too smoky for me. I don’t mind little smokiness, but this was too smoky and bergamot / citrus fruits were hard to find in taste. They were there, but smokiness was way stronger. Almost meaty.

Not a bad cuppa, but more citrus fruits would be great in this blend. Diary/tasting note over.

Flavors: Citrus, Meat, Smoked

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 14 OZ / 400 ML
tea-sipper

I hope your dad heals quickly

mrmopar

Prayers for your Poppa!

ashmanra

Oh no! I hope he has had it examined? Prayers for him!

Martin Bednář

Thank you all! Luckily it is just partially broken, so they hope it will heal quickly. Ashmanra – thank you! Yes, it has been examined and they decided to do not use the cast, as he is diabetic and the veins are quite bad there already. They are afraid they will damage more the veins than helping the bone. Next Friday he has got another check-up.

ashmanra

Even partially broken sounds just awful! I hope his pain is less now and it heals quickly and completely!

Martin Bednář

Certainly it is not something to wish for :)

My absolute favorite tea. I discovered this by chance back in 1995 on a trip to London and quickly developed an addiction. With milk and honey it becomes quite a decadent treat., to be savored and saved for when you need a reset moment. This is not for everyone, but those who love it, love it with an obscene passion.

It does its name justice, and it’s an excellent, assertive, distinct tasting tea.: smoky oolong tea with bergamot oil.

Flavors: Bergamot, Bitter, Dark Wood, Smoke, Smooth

I am so happy to have tried this tea! The smokey flavor is well balanced and astringency is minimal. I expected this to be a lot drier. This is the first smokey tea I’ve tried, but I am excited to try a larger variety!

Love the smokiness; however it is dominating the entire range of flavors / aromas. I can still taste the other flavors but they are being overpowered by the smoke. I really like this tea, however, I can understand if people tire of this tea quickly.

A good alternative in my opinion is Lupicia’s Earl Grey Grand Classic which has the smoky flavor along with some fruit flavor too. I wish I had some on hand so I could do a side by side comparison.

Delicious. Lapsang Souchong hints.