2015 Hai Lang Hao 'Gao Shan Chen Yun'

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Caramel, Cranberry, Decayed wood, Drying, Flowers, Herbs, Honey, Leather, Marshmallow, Meat, Metallic, Nectar, Paper, Red Fruits, Smoked, Straw, Sweet, Tangy, Tobacco, Umami, Violet, Wood, Black Pepper, Cannabis, Earth, Fireplace, Fruity, Herbaceous, Medicinal, Moss, Pineapple, Raisins, Resin, Sweat, Vegetal, Cedar, Floral, Honeysuckle, Mango, Pear, Pleasantly Sour, Rice, Sugarcane, Mineral, Thick, Green, Mushrooms, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 oz / 97 ml

• “TEA I guess this was a very cheap cake at one point. It is now only $58 USD for 400g. Plantation Yiwu tea from 2012 aged 3 years before pressing. It’s developing aged tastes. I wonder where the...” Read full tasting note
  • “nice cheap Daily Drinker for that Yiwu taste, that will last you for a small number of good brews. Used to be great value, but price jump made it only good value.. I’ve noticed a couple of times...” Read full tasting note
  • “This caused great confusion, because to me the initial scent and taste are of mugicha, roast barley tea! When you steep it on the long side and get a slight bitter edge on the roast. The sheng...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is an ok tea for the price, but I definitely didn’t find it better than other raw pu-erh teas in the same price category. The dry leaf has a herbaceous aroma with hints of pineapple skin and...” Read full tasting note

From Hai Lang Hao (Yunnan Sourcing)

In Hai Lang’s own words:

This is a plantation Yi Wu from Spring 2012, and it’s been aged as Mao Cha for 3 years. It was discovered this year and I really enjoyed the tea and wanted to offer it as a bargain tea that would bring enjoyment without a heavy price tag. Many people would be fooled into thinking this was from old tea trees as the leaves are thick and stout and the tea soup is quite thick and full in the mouth.

The tea starts with a golden colored tea soup. The aroma is that of dried fruit, mushrooms and hay. The tea is balanced and thick from the get go, while retaining a decent power up to 7 or 8 infusions. While not up to the standard of more expensive old tree tea, this is nonetheless an enjoyable Yi Wu tea and thoroughly a bargain!

400 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo tong)
2012 Spring Material, 2015 Pressing (pressing date stamp is 2013… this is incorrect)
Pressed with Stone Press in the traditional manner.

About Hai Lang Hao (Yunnan Sourcing) View company

TEA
I guess this was a very cheap cake at one point. It is now only $58 USD for 400g. Plantation Yiwu tea from 2012 aged 3 years before pressing. It’s developing aged tastes. I wonder where the maocha was stored for those 3 years.

Appealing, appetite-stimulating aromas come from the dry leaf like beef jerky, hickory smoke, cranberry and a mild honey-brown sugar. When warmed the sweetness smells more like caramel. The aroma is of tang, smoke, strong camphor and wintergreen and a meaty umami. With the rinse I pick up on old furniture and books, steak and camphor.

Once brewed, the aroma is of marshmallow and tobacco. The main flavor of the tea is straw which displays itself in a somewhat viscous body. The tea is kind of sweet in a nectar-caramel-red fruit way with some added florals and bright tobacco, hints of leather, minerals and decaying wood, somewhat metallic. A tangy, mild bitterness penetrates the tongue, leaving it uncomfortably numbed. I feel camphor deep in my throat. The aftertaste is the strong point. It is definitely violet with very light caramel.

This is a short-lived tea with decent mouthfeel and a strong aftertaste, good for a daily drinker. It’s not a bad tea by any means but my preferences in sheng do not lean this way. It was nice to try an Yiwu plantation tea with what seems like some humid aging taste to it, so thanks for the exposure, mrmopar :) At some point, I’ll be making another note when I move into a round of tasting all the Hai Lang Hao puerh I have.

LIFE
I didn’t get any sleep. First my old girl woke me, hissing and spitting at the sliding glass door to the garden. Then I was startled awake shortly thereafter by what sounded like a massive explosion. And then again at 5am by my neighbor across the street banging on the front door. My first thought was oh-fuck-is-there-a-fire-are-we-evacuating.

Turns out some amateur lifted my motorcycle from the front yard and out into the street. Lifted — because the steering lock was on. Ran into our trash cans on the curb because amateur thief and trash night. He woke up my neighbor who chased him off several times over the course of getting ready for work before putting a cable and lock through the back wheel. The amateur totally bashed the steering lock cylinder, so now I can’t even unlock the bike to move it. And he left his hammer, which the police took. What’s amusing is that I have a tool kit with all kinds of useful things in an easily accessible compartment on my bike.

I hope the night happenings aren’t a sign of things to come today.

Flavors: Bitter, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Caramel, Cranberry, Decayed wood, Drying, Flowers, Herbs, Honey, Leather, Marshmallow, Meat, Metallic, Nectar, Paper, Red Fruits, Smoked, Straw, Sweet, Tangy, Tobacco, Umami, Violet, Wood

Boiling 7 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
ashmanra

Oh derk! I am so sorry! I hope they get prints off the hammer. I hope you get some good sleep, too.

derk

I’ve penned a humiliating jab at the thief and am leaving it on the seat until I can move the bike.

White Antlers

I hope the bastard breaks both hands.

tea-sipper

oh boy. Such a persistent thief, yet such a failure. At least it wasn’t to evacuate.

Leafhopper

Wow! I hope the police catch this very dumb would-be motorcycle thief and that you get some sleep!

mrmopar

Dumb crooks. Wish you had a video to really embarrass them on YouTube. Hope you get prints as well. Glad they didn’t succeed and glad there was no fire. Been rough out west for you guys.

Martin Bednář

You scared me for a second! I completely understand you were afraid it’s wildfire. Luckily, it was only a bike and moreover so “stupid” thief. I hope they will catch him/her and at least you could laugh.

gmathis

Hope today is far more gentle!

derk

A neighbor drilled out the smashed lock cylinder so I was able to move the motorcycle into the garage for safekeeping.

The fortunes of today balanced yesterday’s frustrations. For that I am grateful.

Marsh P

I keep meaning to try puerh again but it seems so impenetrable and mysterious. I really need t just watch a YT or two about brewing cake teas and get on.

Used to be great value, but price jump made it only good value..
I’ve noticed a couple of times HLH teas getting a price increase of 10%-33%.. that’s fair play in the puer world, but a 33% increase can really make or break a tea’s value-for-money..

This caused great confusion, because to me the initial scent and taste are of mugicha, roast barley tea! When you steep it on the long side and get a slight bitter edge on the roast. The sheng characteristics then come in, with lots of sweetness and a lingering astringency. I’ve not had any other shengs like this.

Sheng mugicha!

mrmopar

Excellent value for the quality you get.

VoirenTea

@mrmopar Have you come across any other teas that taste similar, or is it peculiar to this one? It really isn’t like any others I’ve had so I was curious.

mrmopar

Not the HLH productions. I had a Changtai years ago that was similar. I think this being loose aged maocha had an influence on the final product.

This is an ok tea for the price, but I definitely didn’t find it better than other raw pu-erh teas in the same price category. The dry leaf has a herbaceous aroma with hints of pineapple skin and tobacco. The tobacco smell becomes really strong after the rinse. I also noticed medicinal, earthy and fireplace scents. As for the liquor itself, it mostly smells like decayed wood and moss.

The main problem I have with the tea is that I am not too fond of the taste profile. It starts off with flavours of cannabis, leather, camphor and green pepper (meaning unripe black pepper). Later on, it gets sweeter and vegetal, but retains some savouriness. Notes of resin, raisins, tree bark emerge. The aftertaste is relatively long, with distinct fruitiness and persistent sweet wood quality.

As for the mouthfeel, it has decent viscosity, although cannot compete with most non-plantation teas. It has a little astringency, but nothing too drying.

I feel like the tea is a bit awkward right now and could benefit from more aging. I think I rate it lower because its profile doesn’t quite appeal to me, but I think other people might like it more.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Camphor, Cannabis, Decayed wood, Earth, Fireplace, Fruity, Herbaceous, Leather, Medicinal, Moss, Pineapple, Raisins, Resin, Sweat, Tobacco, Vegetal, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

5.6g in 90mL, Sheng TTB #3
The lid is of musty honey
Certainly very well priced for what it is—2012 material. indeed a very solid bargain, given that it delivers on being mid-aged despite only being 6 years old. (At least what i’d call mature, given my newness to this). Musty honey, active in the mouth, and a bitter finish that is well balanced—I like! Others might like the storage taste on this one, but I’m not super into it and unfortunately because of it I don’t think I’ll be picking this up in the near future. However, still pretty great, especially if you’re looking for a solid mid-aged tea. Would highly recommend.

Flavors: Bitter, Honey

This is fantastic and right from the start you can tell it is from older material than the pressing date. Starts off with some sweet tobacco and earthy notes, slowly evolving to a greener pleasant mild astringency. This brews up real nice and is a bargain at the current price. Will probably be even more amazing in a few years.

4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

This tea is in the top three for surprise productions. The leaf is silvery and spindle like with sweet and light floral tones as well as some high notes of soft wood. I warmed my gaiwan and slipped some inside. The scent opens into highly sweet aromas with incredible high “white” notes (unripe mango?). I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The base of the tea is cedar with some lovely high notes of pink lady apples. The brew yields a lasting oily honeycomb sweetness with sunflower florals on the exhale. The drink has few sticky rice tones along with a robust caramel color and succulent sweet vapor rising from the cup. I was pulled in tight with this one! A pleasant sour note comes through later as a complimenting bitter, and it provides some good tongue curling. However, this tea its all about the exhale. I was pulling great marshmallow sweetness that engulfed my senses. The qi is high cooling sensation that targets the head and provides nice uplifting sensations. I was picking up Bosc pear by steep 3. The brew ends with a cane-sugar sweetness and the qi drives towards the back of the head with good pressure. Now, after this session I was curious as to what this tea cost. I know with Hai Lang Hao it is either a bit pricey or its cheap. This is the later, and it surprised me quite a bit. This is a great example of the fact that its all about storage and processing. I am a big buff on quality material, but if you don’t know what you’re doing you can really f*$# up. This tea has amazing tones, huigan, and a bit kuwei for the price, plus the qi is actually notable; in which, I find that quality to be rare with plantation tea (especially) at this price.

Flavors: Cedar, Floral, Flowers, Honey, Honeysuckle, Mango, Marshmallow, Pear, Pleasantly Sour, Rice, Sugarcane, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML
Daylon R Thomas

Reading the description made me think of a Sake lol.

mrmopar

This is the bargain tea just like the Springtime Water he has. Price to quality winner in all categories.

Matu

Very good cake – bought a tong of it to enjoy long-term and/or experiment with.

Rasseru

MrMopar, can you link the springtime water? i’ve found a spring of menghai but no ‘water’ i’m all up for some cheap sheng

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/menghaiteafactory/2135-2012-menghai-spring-of-menghai-raw-pu-erh-tea-357-grams.html I found this but no springtime, yeah I saw your review on here but couldnt find the same wrapper

Awesome awesome awesome. I wasn’t taking notes when I had this yesterday but man it was really good. Very easy to brew and drink, mellow and sweet. Would be an excellent daily drinker, especially at 7.5 cents/g. I will definitely be buying a cake!

205 °F / 96 °C 10 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

I’ve had a cake of this, which I blind bought on the recommendation of mrmopar in my stash for quite a while now. I pulled my cake out to give it a try for the first time in a few months last night. The dry leaf is very interesting looking. The leaves are long and spindly, and there are a pretty good number of twigs mixed it. It’s really a bit difficult to fit chunks of it into brewing vessels until you get some hot water on it. The leaves had a nice fruity aroma, with notes of straw as well. After a rinse, the tea smelled slightly smoky, though none of this smoke really makes it into the flavor, and again like straw.

From the get-go, this tea steeps out very thick. The first steep had a bit of an herbal note to it, along with a sweetness which immediately filled my mouth. The tea has good throat-feeling, and even before I finished drinking the first infusion, my head was pounding.

The sweetness stayed very strong, as did the thickness. By the third steep, I was feeling just about as teadrunk as I ever have before. My notes get a little bit garbled after this, but I know the tea went around 15 steeps, though possibly could have called it quits at 13. The sweetness stayed pretty strong, but was not cloying. I also don’t really know how to describe it – a bit mineral or honey maybe, with some slight apricot notes detectable at times.

I remember trying this tea around when I first got it, and being decently impressed by the quality of it. Now, after the tea has been resting in my pumidor for around 5 or 6 months, I am absolutely floored by the quality:price ratio. For me, this tea is an absolute steal. The texture and qi are incredibly potent and enjoyable, and the flavor, while nothing spectacular or unusual, is very enjoyable. I now have a large amount of this tea en route from Yunnan Sourcing, along with some other Hai Lang Hao samples. I feel pretty confident buying a lot of this tea, as it already has a bit of a head-start with aging, being pressed from 2012 maocha, and because I like how it has changed already just sitting in my moderately humid pumidor for a few months.

I’ll be trying this some different ways as well – I want to see how much leaf I can get away with using, as it’s pretty forgiving and not at all prone to bitterness. If my normal amount gave me such a powerful teadrunk, who knows what 7 or 8g could do! :P

Flavors: Fruity, Mineral, Straw, Sweet, Thick

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
mrmopar

Excellent for the price ratio.

From the Pu TTB Round 5

Brews a light yellow. Fairly thick with green and mushroom flavors, slight smoke and tobacco. Pretty damn good for the price!

Flavors: Green, Mushrooms, Smoke, Tobacco

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML
mrmopar

Yep, I think it was $25.00 or so when I got mine. Excellent bang for the buck.