Earl Grey Supreme

Bergamot, Earl Grey, Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Malt, Tart, Toast, Citrus, Rose, Lemon, Orange, Creamy, Floral, Smooth, Citrus Zest, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I guess my latest mini-obsession is Earl Grey :) Let’s see, I had a very long Chinese obsession, followed by mini obsessions of Assam, then Chai, now Earl :) I threw a sample of this in my cart...” Read full tasting note
  • “You know you have become a true tea drinker when……… …you are sitting on the porch in 80 degree weather drinking hot Earl Grey Supreme. And you are usually hot in this kind of weather. Still, this...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m finishing up the last of this delicious Earl Grey today – but I think I should have saved it to drink while watching Star Trek! Either way, this tea is great as a tea latte with the citrusy...” Read full tasting note
  • “A sample of this arrived with my recent Harney order. I thought I’d give it a go this morning. I’m not a huge Earl Grey fan…I like it, but it’s a case of I like what I like and don’t often branch...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

To the connoisseur we offer Earl Grey Supreme, which uses a higher grade of teas along with the addition of Silver Tips. Most of our customers have never gone back to our regular Earl Grey once they have tasted the Supreme. If you love Bergamot and fine tea, this is the blend for you.

Kosher.

About Harney & Sons View company

a really, really good Earl

This tea has a little white blended in…the “Ceylon Vintage Silver Tips” from the description (btw harneytea, you’re busted on your generic tea picture…it doesn’t show any of the Silver Tips"). I don’t know that the Silver Tips does anything much for the tea other than add visual appeal to the mix. The tea is smooth and mellow with no “grassy” finish (unlike Viennese Earl Grey by Harney). It doesn’t have much of a bergamot smell, but the flavor is definetly there to taste. A very good, high quality Earl Grey.

More Earl Grey. I think this one is one of the best Earl Greys I’ve had. It’s a pleasant relaxing one.

One of my favourite Earl Greys.

My favourite earl grey ever. I initially got the tea sachet version, but that led to over-caffeination on my part. After I found my perfect steeper (from David’s Tea), I bought a tin of loose leaf and never looked back.

Distinct notes of bergamot, this black tea literally warms the soul. It’s my go-to cheer up drink for those dreary mornings. I usually have it with some full cream milk.

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey

3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

So, I cleaned out a couple of my tea cabinets over the weekend and I made a pile of samples that I had either purchased or received free with various orders over the last 5-6 months. Yeah, I worked on finally cleaning out the hoard. Right now, I’m trying to work through 3-4 samples a day. I worked through two this morning prior to going to work. This was the second of the two and the one I liked best.

To prepare this tea, I steeped approximately 1 teaspoon of tea leaves in 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. I did not attempt additional infusions. Again, I normally do not do so with flavored, small leaf, and/or non-Chinese black teas unless specifically recommended by the vendor or I just get curious and want to experiment a bit.

The infused liquor showed a dark amber in the cup. The nose was heavy on the bergamot, though I could also pick up traces of caramel, toast, and malt. In the mouth, the tea veered between delicate notes of cream, malt, honey, toast, caramel, and cocoa and heavy, tart notes of bergamot. The finish really emphasized the bergamot flavor.

In the end, all I can say about this tea is that this one is specifically intended for fans of Earl Grey. If you don’t at least kind of appreciate the Earl, then I highly doubt you will like this tea. It isn’t particularly deep or complex or refined. It is brash and forceful, offering a bergamot presence that one will likely love or loathe. Personally, I love Earl Grey. Harney & Sons tend to do this type of tea justice, and I feel that this is probably one of their best and most consistent takes on the style. I especially appreciate how this tea allows the bergamot to come through loud and clear. If you, like me, are an extreme Earl Grey lover, check this one out when you get the chance.

Flavors: Bergamot, Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Malt, Tart, Toast

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Bought this tea at Indigo the other day because I have been eyeing it for a while now, and I am searching for a suitable replacement earl grey for my current stash of Teavana’s Earl Grey, which is way too astringent for me.

One thing I like about this tea is that it is very smooth: it has no astringency whatsoever, and even has a subtly sweet, vanilla-like texture to it. However, the bergamont flavouring is very subtle. It may be that I am used to more abrasive earl greys, but it’s actually a bit hard for me to pick out the bergamont in the flavour of the tea. The dry leaf aroma has more bergamont notes than the tea itself, I would say. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad aspect of the tea itself, but I myself prefer a much stronger in-your-face type earl grey blend that I can really enjoy the full range of flavours. However, I can see how this tea would appeal to some people who prefer a more toned-down and balanced blend.

Overall, it’s a very smooth and easy-going tea. I am really glad that the black tea base has no astringency, because that is one of my biggest issues with some of my other earl grey blends. I won’t mind drinking this until it’s finished, but I likely will no be re-purchasing. I will grab more of Paris instead!

Also, I am wondering if anyone has tried Citron Green from H&S? What are your thoughts about buying a tin of this tea as well?

mrmopar

Have you tried the Double Earl green from Stash tea? I recall it had a pretty good kick when I drank it. It has been years now and I am sure my tastes have changed though.

MrQuackers

One of the teas Stash does really well is Organic green. I did a review on it.

ashmanra

Have you tried the Earl Of Harlem by Ambessa which is blended by Harney Teas? Lightly smoky with bergamot. It’s good! Harvey’s Imperial Earl Grey is good, but Nina’s was my favorite back when it had a Keemun base. Unfortunately, they switched to Ceylon which I don’t like paired with bergamot. (Although I like it fine unflavored.)

MrQuackers

Maybe one day I will find a bottle of Bergamot essential oil and get to try it.

I am obsessed with Earl Grey. I have Pinterest board dedicated to it, wear Earl Grey and Cucumber perfume, use Bergamot essential oils all the time… So it’s no surprise that I’m on a search for the best Earl Grey in the world. My research only started recently, so I gladly welcome recommendations! As a longtime drinker of Harney & Sons tea, obviously, I had to purchase every Earl they sold. Supreme is definitely my favorite pure Earl thus far. I have been drinking it constantly since it arrived. Perfect solo, but even better with a couple lumps of raw sugar and a drop of lavender essential oil. I like mine with a dab of whole milk, too. The flavor is satisfying from beginning to end – starting with a fragrant, rich black tea experience to a wonderfully bright citrus note at the end. Not the slightest hint of bitterness, even when the leaves have been sitting in my pot too long.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Earl Grey, Rose

Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Got a sample sachet of this in my latest order. For some reason the name and description of this tea made me think the bergamot would be very strong, but it’s quite the opposite — the bergamot is mild and the base is silky smooth. I can see why they say most of their customers don’t go back to regular earl grey after tasting this version. It’s mellow and refined, and honestly, growing on me with every sip. The fact that I have a plate of fresh snickerdoodles to go down with it isn’t hurting either :)

Super Starling!

Yes! I’m in the market for a new go-to Earl Grey. The Cream of Earl Grey from David’s really wasn’t doing it for me.

Mookit

Mm, sounds like something I will have to try. :) Harney and Sons already impressed me with Paris!

Tamarindel

Yep, I already put this on the wishlist for my next order. And agreed, Paris is awesome :)

ashmanra

Yes, yes, yes! This is our favorite Earl Grey from Harney, and was our all time favorite until I tried an Earl with a Keemun base from Nina’s, but then they changed the base on the other one and this is number one again!