Earl Grey Chocolat

Bergamot Oil, Black Tea, Cacao Nibs, Flavor, Flower Petals
Cacao, Chocolate, Floral, Perfume, Bergamot, Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Violet, Drying, Earth, Malt, Smooth, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “I’ve found it finally – my favourite chocolate tea!!! :D I just lurrrrrrve this!!!! As a chocolate lover, I am hopelessly attracted to chocolate teas. However, most of the chocolate teas in the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Since I really enjoyed their Earl Grey, I decided to try this one, even though I’d been burned by other chocolate teas. And I’m really glad I did. This is a truly decadent tea. Sometimes I felt...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea has been on my wishlist for years and I was finally able to find it during a trip to Paris. It looks like a CTC tea. I know what that looks like, but I’m not sure if it is attributed to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Additional notes: After the disappointing ‘Earl Grey’ from Lupicia, I had to try this one again to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating that it wasn’t the same bergamot as that. It definitely isn’t. ...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

EARL GREY CHOCOLAT is an attractive blend of chocolate-flavored Earl Grey tea. Fresh aroma of bergamot embraces the lingering sweetness of rich chocolate. Bright, purple blue mallow petals represent the nobleness of Earl Grey. Cacao is added to accentuate the aroma of chocolate.

How to enjoy Tea
Amount of Tea Leaves: 0.10oz(2.5-3g)
Water Temprature: Boiling Water
Brewing Time: 3-5min.

About Lupicia View company

As a chocolate lover, I am hopelessly attracted to chocolate teas. However, most of the chocolate teas in the market are not as tasty as they have promised. Many of them smell lovely but there’s a lack of chocolate in the taste. Some are malty rather than chocolatey, and a few are even bitter. :(

But Earl Grey Chocolat of Lupicia is so so so different! It smells and tastes very much like milk chocolate – rich, sweet, chocolatey and non-bitter. Reminds me of hot Valrhona chocolate… it is so hard to believe that it is a tea. Better still, the base of this tea is a floral Earl Grey. The combination of bergamot and chocolate is awesomely fragrant and delicious, just like fruit-infused chocolate truffles. :D Serve it at a tea party and I am sure that every guest will be amazed!

This is a truly decadent tea. Sometimes I felt like I was eating one of those chocolate covered fruit jellies, it was that good. The bergamot and cocoa are evenly balanced, and the one time I put sugar in it was amazing. It’s plenty good without, though. I almost felt guilty drinking this in the morning! Another Earl Grey win from Lupicia.

This tea has been on my wishlist for years and I was finally able to find it during a trip to Paris. It looks like a CTC tea. I know what that looks like, but I’m not sure if it is attributed to the taste I’m noticing. I’ve had other CTC teas by Lupicia, the first being Sweet Potato, so some of the flavors in this remind me of that. That flavor is under a strong amount of bergamot and the chocolate is much more subtle. I have to concentrate to pick out the chocolate which almost seems more aromatic, like chocolate scratch and sniff stickers, but doesn’t have the depth that real chocolate has. I’m enjoying this tea, but I do wish it had more chocolate in it.

On another note…. I really need to start letting my tea cool more. I have noticed that I have been burning my lips and roof of my mouth by trying to enjoy my tea too quickly after steeping. Someday I’ll learn. Maybe.

Mastress Alita

I still haven’t learned that lesson. I also notice I can drink my hot beverages way hotter than all my friends as a result, because I think I’ve built up more temperature resistence… and that is probably why I keep burning my mouth, boo.

Kawaii433

Me too… It’s either too hot or too cold. >.<

AJRimmer

My accidental method is to just have so many teas going at once that there’s always a reasonable temperature one to drink. Not saying I recommended it, it just happens :P

Dustin

So it’s not just me! I like the multiple mug method approach. I’ll have to be more conscious of having a couple mugs going at the same time.

Additional notes: After the disappointing ‘Earl Grey’ from Lupicia, I had to try this one again to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating that it wasn’t the same bergamot as that. It definitely isn’t. I love this one but can’t stand their ‘Earl Grey’. It’s so odd they are different! I mixed the little bit left from a Cameron B sample with a little of what Kawaii433 sent over, so thank you both. :D The bergamot here is sweet, a bit floral and a bit citrus. A great combination. It’s quite a lovely tea for this freezing weather and I’m glad I found it before it was gone.

Cameron B.

By our powers combined!

tea-sipper

YES definitely. haha :D

Cacao nibs, chocolate is really nice in this one. It’s a very dark rich chocolate flavor, more flavorful that some of their other chocolate ones I’ve tried. A very nice bittersweet chocolate and in the later steeps, a sweeter milk chocolate. Unfortunately, that’s about the only thing I enjoyed about this one. I hardly taste the bergamot… And the heavy floral takes that away. I don’t even have a clue what kind of floral flavor but it’s not really pleasant to me. If you don’t mind too much floral or you love the taste of floral teas (strooong floral teas :P), you may like this but for me, it is just far too perfumey for me. I finished a while ago, and I still feel like I have a nose full of perfume.

5g, 200ml, 212F, 3 steeps: 3m, 3.5m, 4.5m

Flavors: Cacao, Chocolate, Floral, Perfume

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Sipdown! (1)

Just in case some of you don’t already know this: Lupicia is closing their California, France, and Australia stores AND the corresponding online stores! ONLY the Japanese physical & online stores and Hawaiian physical store will remain open. They have not made any public announcements yet, so the only information we have comes directly from store employees.

And now, a moment of silence… (while I sob uncontrollably in the background)

So today, I will be re-tasting a few Lupicia teas to determine whether or not I need to restock them while there’s still time. It will be possible to order from their Japanese website and have it delivered internationally, however it requires the use of a third-party forwarding service, which is both expensive and seems a bit sketchy to me. So while I’m sure I’ll resort to that route eventually, I would like to start out well-stocked at the least!

I’ve already ordered 100g each of my beloved Melon Oolong and Ripe Mango Oolong, don’t you worry! But there are a few others in my cupboard that I’m not sure about, so here we are.

I think this one intrigues me in concept rather than in execution. I’ve only rated it a 78, which I wouldn’t normally consider high enough to be a cupboard staple. But for some reason, I remembered it more fondly than I should have. I guess I’m always a sucker for an Earl Grey with nontraditional additions…

Anyway, the tea. The base is a mix of small traditional leaves and CTC pellets, which is a common occurrence for Lupicia’s black blends. I generally take about 30 seconds off my normal steep to account for the CTC, but who knows whether that’s really necessary or not… The base has a smooth malty flavor with some earth and wood notes.

This has a nice, slightly dry cocoa flavor, which is similar to their other chocolate teas, such as Thé au Chocolat and Banane Chocolat. It’s definitely an unsweetened, dark cocoa note. The bergamot here is quite floral, which is disappointing for me, as I prefer a more citrusy bergamot flavor. So for that reason, this would never be a favorite of mine.

But I suppose that’s a good thing now, one fewer Lupicia tea to worry about! XD

Flavors: Bergamot, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Drying, Earth, Floral, Malt, Smooth, Wood

lizwykys

I guess I should be glad I came along too late to acquire a Lupicia addiction. :( I only learned a few days ago that they had a European presence at all; I’d assumed they were only U.S. Sad news.

shhhhhhh dont tell everyone until i can place my order! :)

Cameron B.

I’m completely gutted. I’ve emailed their Hawaiian store (which is their flagship US store, I didn’t realize) to see if they’d be willing to accept a phone order and ship it to me. But otherwise I’ll have to resort to weird Japanese mail forwarding service… (sob)

Kawaii433

The news of Lupicia closing down just saddens me. I just ordered a bunch while I can. I was really hoping it was just a rumor. /cry

Mastress Alita

@Cameron B. – I’m still going to try to contact Yunomi if they’ll source them because I don’t like the idea of using that weird forwarding service at all. I just don’t really want to bother Yunomi when I know their office is sort of gutted for the New Years holiday…

Sakura Sushi

Whaaaaaat!? This is crazy! I order from them regularly. Guess I’ll have to start stockpiling. Such sad news!

Mastress Alita

I think many of us are experiencing the five stages of grief right now… I’m definitely in the bargaining phase at the moment. >_>

Lexie Aleah

Maybe when you email Yunomi start with The Steepster Community was wondering if… so they know more than one person would love to be able to buy them through Yunomi. (:

It’s not so much an earl grey with chocolate, but dark chocolate with citrusy and floral notes. With milk it makes for an interesting sugar-free hot chocolate substitute. There’s something that almost verges into “biting wood chips and citrus rinds” territory, but otherwise it’s easy drinking.

Thanks, OMGsrsly!

Flavors: Bergamot, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Floral

So…. I’m far from a huge EG fan, however I do find that EGs mixed with something else to temper them are quite to my liking. So, I grabbed some of this in the hopes that it would an orange-y chocolate kinda tea.

Nope. This is more floral than anything, with some chocolate richness in the background. I’ll give it another few tries when my sinuses have cleared.

TheTeaFairy

I like bergamot, but was unimpressed with this one. Doesn’t matter cause I liked all my other Lupicia teas :-)

TeaBrat

I’m usually not a fan of anything Earl Grey or bergamot related!

MissB

Trying to think of the EGs I’ve enjoyed. Teajo has a lovely one, and the Marshmallow EG from Herbal Infusions was really lovely. The more floral ones though? I’ll pass. I had high hopes for this! I’ll just have to share it with my EG loving friends — yes, I’m looking at you, CelebriTEA.

Suziqzer

CelebriTEA certainly does love her EG’s. I’m slowly coming around to them, only had two so far I think. I’m still in awe of the fact that I can do citrus teas and enjoy them… I still won’t put a lemon slice in my iced tea, but a tea that’s blended w/citrus I’m finding a liking for sometimes, esp orange flavors.

Suziqzer

I think bergamot is a love or hate it thing. I thought I’d hate it, but finding I might enjoy it if it’s not overdone. Count me out of most florals though, unless they are light and well done.

Dinosara

I’ve always been curious about this one but also skeptical. The only other Chocolate Earl Grey I’ve had was not really pleasant.

Thank you, TheTeaFairy. This had such potential but it’s a little bitter for me. I used boiling water as instructed. It might have been a little too hot because I burned them. I mean, there’s boiling and then there’s boiling.

I added a little sugar and creamer to remedy and as I said, the flavour is good but I screwed it up. Luckily, this is a larger sample so I can give it another go. I don’t really get bergamot even though it’s an Earl Grey and I was worried. It’s chocolate and something else, like fruit.

Now if these Habs would just score so I can go to bed!