Momijigari

Apple, Apricot, Floral, Malt, Stonefruits, Sweet, Tart, Autumn Leaf Pile, Candy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Jam, Smooth, Fruit Tree Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “This tea is the best wine tasting tea I have ever had – and its not even touted as a wine flavored tea! What the? I love it – apples and apricot and fallen autumn leaves? YES MORE PLEASE! Tastes...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog: This tea is very autumnal to me. I taste apple and apricot – two flavors that make me think of late summer and early autumn, and the wine like notes work very well with these flavors. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown, so sad. It lasted until March, but barely! Juicy as usual, really refreshing. I love this stuff (though I have to move it down a peg or two since I’ve spent some time refining my score...” Read full tasting note
  • “A tea that tastes really “Lupicia” – Lupicia always creates lovely scented teas! I enjoy the potent apple flavour and the fragrance of apricot. They don’t taste as artificial as in some cheap teas....” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

“Vibrant autumn leaves are blended into black tea. A sophisticated flavor of apple and apricot is limited to the autumn.”

(“Momijigari” is the Japanese term for visiting scenic places to look at the colourful autumn leaves.)

About Lupicia View company

I love it – apples and apricot and fallen autumn leaves? YES MORE PLEASE!
Tastes like the holidays!

Terri HarpLady

ooh, that sounds good!

Azzrian

It truly is! I wish it were not seasonal. Its funny Lupicia is one of my all time favorite tea sellers yet this is only the second time I have ordered from them! It was LONG overdue! I need to start ordering from them more often!

TeaEqualsBliss

Ooooo! Sista!

Backlog:

This tea is very autumnal to me. I taste apple and apricot – two flavors that make me think of late summer and early autumn, and the wine like notes work very well with these flavors. Hints of a rustic smoke-like tone.

The black tea is earthy and warm … and it complements the other flavors very well. A really enjoyable medley of flavors in one cup with this tea.

Sipdown, so sad. It lasted until March, but barely! Juicy as usual, really refreshing. I love this stuff (though I have to move it down a peg or two since I’ve spent some time refining my score criteria…it’s just so dang subjective).

Claire

Hey, your bestie happens to live in a town with a Lupicia…

A tea that tastes really “Lupicia” – Lupicia always creates lovely scented teas! I enjoy the potent apple flavour and the fragrance of apricot. They don’t taste as artificial as in some cheap teas. Though there’s a slight bitterness in the tea that leads me to lower the rating a bit. Someone says the bitterness is due to the addition of autumn leaves and I think it may be true! But anyway the idea of using momiji to create an autumn tea is very interesting… a good try!

“Momijigari” is the Japanese word for going out to look at the changing autumn leaves. The smell of this tea in the shop made me want to try it right away. The combination of apple and apricot in the dry leaf creates a honey-like note for me, and indeed if I had to say which colour this tea evokes for me, it’s definitely that red-gold of autumn leaves.

When brewed (nice and dark), there’s a slight bitter or smokey smell, which may be due to how there really are autumn leaves mixed into the tea. Both with and without milk, this is really delicious, with a good balance between juicy fruit and black tea flavours. Overall, a creative idea, very well-executed by Lupicia. I have a feeling this would be delicious iced.

Sipdown (247)

Another tea from Cameron B. Thank you so much for sharing!

I was worried this would have the same issue was the Tochiotome Black that I drank yesterday. Namely the very distracting brassiness of the base tea. While there is a slight brassiness here, either I started drinking this while it was hotter and it hasn’t come through yet or this tea doesn’t have as much of an issue with that metallic quality. Either way, yay!

No overwhelming brassiness means I can try the actual flavors of this tea and they are quite nice. The apple jumped out at me immediately. It is not a dried apple flavor though. More like a slightly tart concentrated apple flavor…like a fresh pressed granny apple juice. I get slight apricot in the aftertaste, a lingering flavor that just sort of sits on the tip of your tongue. Also a little bit of a leafy vibe which makes sense given the autumn inspirations for this blend.

All in all, it is a nice tea. I don’t think it is a favorite b/c while the flavors are lovely, they are not ones I reach for often. Plus, the more I drink, the more of that brassiness comes through. I think I just don’t get along with Lupicia’s fruity black teas. I got the book of teas from them a couple years back and I don’t recall really loving any of their fruity blacks b/c of the base. Nevertheless, I am grateful to Cameron B for the opportunity to try something new!

Another sample from Cameron B. :D

The dry leaves smelled like apple cider. I don’t drink wine but it reminds me of the smell of certain wines from Olive Garden hehe. I love the smell of some wines, I just can’t drink it without nausea. Long story, I’ll share it sometime.

I can drink this though. :D I found it to be refreshing. I bet this would be good iced. When it comes to fruit, I love the ones that are tart so momijigari goes in the win column for me since it has some tart notes. Sweet and tart apple, some apricot notes with the comforting malt notes. I like the black tea base in this. Is it darjeeling? I’m such a noob.

Flavors: Apple, Apricot, Floral, Malt, Stonefruits, Sweet, Tart

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

I so wish I could order more of this before they close the website. Unfortunately, it’s an autumn tea… QQ

Kawaii433

Cameron, I saw that. /cry. There are a few that you sent me that I can’t get but am so glad that I will be able to try them. <3

Mastress Alita

I really wanted this one last year too, but they didn’t release it loose leaf, my preference. I was willing to get the teabags just to finally get to try it, but it was sold out online and by the time of my autumn trip in November, it was sold out at the San Jose store when I got to visit it for the first (and now, only) time.

Cameron B.

I know, I was so annoyed too! My loose leaf is from the year before.

Work – 2:00 PM

Well, this is really frustrating… I can’t look at the the discussion boards, the page never loads for me and then comes up with the “Oops, someone forgot to turn off the kettle” error. I’ve already tried restarting my browser, clearing my browsing data, and restarting my laptop. Now I’ve submitted a ticket to support. It’s even more frustrating because I just started a topic yesterday about a possible Dammann Frères group order, and now I can’t check it. So if you’ve responded to said topic, I’m sorry, I can’t see it or reply!

At least I have this tea. Wow, is it ever good! “Momijigari” is a Japanese term for going out to admire the autumn foliage. And, appropriately, this is a very autumnal tea. The main flavors are apple and apricot, and they are concentrated and jammy in a way that makes me think of dried fruit. Although in the case of the apple, it doesn’t taste like dried apples (which taste very different than other dried fruits to me). It’s more like a concentrated tart apple jelly combined with dried apricots. The base tea is mild and smooth, but not overshadowed. There’s a little bit of toasty autumn leaf in there as well, but not in the usual unpleasant drying form. Maybe the tiniest hint of floral in the aftertaste?

Overall, I love it! Lupicia has just started carrying the tea bags again for the season, I’m hoping the loose leaf will make its appearance soon so I can buy a sealed packet to open when this tin is empty!

Flavors: Apple, Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Candy, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Jam, Malt, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet, Tart

Cameron B.

I was able to figure out the link to my discussion topic, which I am able to view. Still can’t see the overall discussions page though… Weird.

yep, same for me. also getting errors with going in to teas in my cupboard

Cameron B.

Oh, it makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one! ❤

Dustin

Same here. I was hoping to see if anyone was going to the tea festival in San Francisco next month. No luck with that kettle on.

Mastress Alita

I’m planning to go to the SF Tea Festival if I can get my work schedule switched, Dustin. No sense buying plane tickets until I get that squared away, but if my coworkers are helpful on that front, it would be nice to meetup with my BFF in San Jose and attend!

Mastress Alita

So, my best friend lives in San Jose and he made a Lupicia run for me last night to pick up the Imo Kuri Kabo for me before they sell out since I’ll be visiting him in November and I know it’ll be gone by then (and I want to save the shipping!) so I can just pick it up from him then. He asked them what happened with the Momijigari this year.

“Oh right, the cashier at Lupicia said that they made loose leaf Momijigari this year but were unsatisified with the quality so didn’t release any.”

Cameron B.

Yeah, I ended up emailing them about Momijigari (I mentioned it in another note somewhere…) and they said they weren’t offering loose leaf this year. :(

Oh well, I have a bit left to hold me over until next year… Maybe I’ll also try their Apple tea and see how it is.

I think the #1 aspect of this tea that I love is the aroma – it seriously smells like a Jolly Rancher! I love to have it sitting in my pot over a tea-light to keep my room smelling great.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that despite how strong the aroma was, the taste was much less prominent (a good thing!). It was smooth, sweet, and had just the right amount of boldness.

It’s hard to say much more than just how delicious this tea was. No need for added sweeteners – it’s perfect on its own. Momijigari definitely has made my top 5 favorites of anything I’ve tried so far.

I’d recommend this in a heartbeat and am sad that it’s so limited to get!

Flavors: Apricot, Fruit Tree Flowers

Drinking this a bit out of season, but it’s a fantastic tea. Delicately flavored, and gives the feeling of a crisp autumn morning, watching the leaves fall.