Sakura Vert

Green Tea
Green Tea
Cherry, Floral, Sakura, Salty, Smooth, Sweet, warm grass, Grain, Grass, Spinach, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “I’m trying a mug of this thanks to CHAroma and I have to say, I am befuddled by the strong negative responses to this tea. I can’t detect anything offensive at all. It tastes floral and fruity. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “SIPDOWN! I’m sad to see this one go. It’s uber delicious when fresh! Once the leaves get old, it becomes soapy and heavy and weird. So definitely consume this one quickly! I’ll have to watch...” Read full tasting note
  • “‘Disappointing’ doesn’t begin to describe this tea. I’ve rarely tried a tea that I’ve disliked quite so much as this one. It’s salty and bitter and I’m struggling to find any redeeming features....” Read full tasting note
  • “Sometimes, I get tired of straight tea, the gongfu style of brewing, the mess, the ritual, etc., and this seems to happen more often during hot summer days. Looks like it’s time for some flavored...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

Salted cherry leaves are blended into green tea for a fresh clean taste. Seasonal and limited availability. Look for it in the spring.

Ingredients: Green tea, salted sakura leaves

About Lupicia View company

I’m trying a mug of this thanks to CHAroma and I have to say, I am befuddled by the strong negative responses to this tea. I can’t detect anything offensive at all. It tastes floral and fruity. It’s a bit soapy, but not unpleasantly so. It’s very nice. The sencha base seems to get astringent easily, but that’s easily remedied by more careful brewing. And, as with the other Lupicia tea I sampled, the tea base and flavor harmonize to create a better whole. I really need to clear room in my cabinet so that I can order some teas from Lupicia!

The flavor does, in fact, remind me of the sakura mochis that are wrapped in the preserved leaves. I liked the flavor, but not the texture so I guess this tea is a perfect compromise.

CHAroma

Yay! I’m glad you liked this too! It really does taste best when it’s freshest in spring. If you liked it, I suggest buying some then. It does still taste good, but I noticed a significant flavor difference from the last time I brewed it a few months ago. There’s just too much tea to enjoy to only drink one! :D

Mercuryhime

So true. There are only a few teas I drink more than 2 or 3 times a months because I love variety so much.

SIPDOWN!

I’m sad to see this one go. It’s uber delicious when fresh! Once the leaves get old, it becomes soapy and heavy and weird. So definitely consume this one quickly! I’ll have to watch out for it now that it’s spring again. It’s seasonal, so you can’t always find it on Lupicia’s site.

This is a love it or hate it tea. It has pickled cherry leaves in it, not actual cherries. The resultant brew is slightly salty, very different, and certainly unique. I’m definitely a lover! :)

‘Disappointing’ doesn’t begin to describe this tea. I’ve rarely tried a tea that I’ve disliked quite so much as this one. It’s salty and bitter and I’m struggling to find any redeeming features. thinks Nope, there are no redeeming features. It’s just… yuck.

It’s possible that part of the bitterness comes from following the directions and steeping the leaves in boiling water. With most teas, I’d be willing to give it a second chance and try steeping it at a lower temperature next time, but I’m really not feeling inclined to go anywhere near this tea again.

I think this must be my most negative tea review ever – and it totally deserves it! I’m just about to go and pour the rest down the sink.

Hyrulehippie

I’m so curious about where it got 3 points from. Was it out of pity or that it gets a couple just for signing its name? :p

Jillian

Maybe it’s for the dual-language (neither of them English) title. ;p

Luthien

I was very, very tempted to rate it zero, but in the end I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt over whether the steeping temperature contributed something to the bitterness and so let it have the three points. g

Suzi

Is this different from the Sakurambo Vert?

Luthien

@suzi Yeah, they are different teas. The Sakurambo Vert is made with cherries; this is made with cherry leaves. The Sakurambo Vert is on my list of teas to try, but I’m feeling a bit turned off the whole cherry tea experience for the moment.

CHAroma

Sakurambo Vert and Sakura Vert are extremely different teas. Don’t let the similar name throw you! Sakurambo has a much stronger cherry flavor and is available year round. Sakura is a seasonal tea available only in the spring. Sakura has salted cherry leaves instead of whole cherry pieces, so the cherry flavor is much, much less pronounced. If you like cherry, go for the Sakurambo. If you like authentic sencha, go with the Sakura.

Sometimes, I get tired of straight tea, the gongfu style of brewing, the mess, the ritual, etc., and this seems to happen more often during hot summer days. Looks like it’s time for some flavored iced tea!

I visited my local Lupicia store hoping to get a nice flavored green and ended tasting this.

The flavor was… totally unexpected. Smooth and vegetal like your regular Japanese green, with a fresh crisp salty finish. As someone else said, the “saltiness” reminds me a lot of the leaves some mochis come wrapped in, especially in the aroma (which is one thing about this tea that I like the most, such a good scent when brewed).

I liked it overall, but like the shop clerk told me, most people find this salty hint a bit too much and I can see why. But I just find it really comforting right now. Even while drinking it hot, I feel slightly refreshed, despite these hot days. We’ll see how the iced version tastes…

This is the authentic taste I’ve been craving. It is not intended to be a typical cherry flavor – the leaves of the cherry blossoms are brined, so there is a slightly salty flavor combined with a floral aroma and an aftertaste of cherry – very subtle. Very spring.

The sencha used in Lupicia’s version is flavorful – it achieves what I’ve tried to do myself by blending my own green tea with actual sakura blossoms. I’ll enjoy the blossoms on their own as a tisane and in different cooking recipes and drink Lupicia’s version both hot and cold.

This blend is wonderful iced – it is strong enough to be enjoyed cold. Steeping sakura blossoms on their own, I haven’t yet been able to get a strong enough balance to try it iced, but Lupicia’s found the ticket.

If you enjoy Sakura or floral-scented greens, you’ll enjoy this version.

I think this tea is definitely one many of those leaving low ratings are misunderstanding, going into it – much of this is due to Lupicia not making it especially clear for western consumers that this is not sakura-cherry green tea. This is brined sakura leaf green tea. Brined sakura leaves are obviously a radically different flavor from fresh fruitiness… a traditional Japanese taste utterly nonexistent in the western palate and one that would not please someone seeking fruity floral freshness. To a Japanese person, this combination evokes images of spring time and freshness – because they’ve grown up in a culture where brined sakura is linked to that. A big part of that also probably has to do with using boiling water and/or long brewing times – sencha wants lower temperatures and shorter times, and the briny sakura does as well. Too hot and long with this and you end up with a horrible bitter salty mess.

For me today, I picked this tea as a pairing with music – I just got my hands on Tama Onsen’s “Open Your Heart(s)”, and the second track, Setsuna Yamai, left me wanting something extremely traditional.

The aroma of this tea is somewhere between genmaicha and shincha – the roasty savoriness of the former, over a much fresher leaf than is usually found in genmaicha. Flavorwise, it hit the spot for what I wanted perfectly. It is what you’d expect, for the most part – the fresh grassy flavor and astringency of a good sencha, with a distinctly present salt note, and a very subtle sweet cherry fruitiness beneath. The saltiness is definitely a dominating note, and makes for a salt-water sort of mouthfeel, and for some people would be a dealbreaker and stop them before they got to the other flavors. If it works for you though, the sencha and the sweet cherry begin to show themselves.

The combination of a roasty saltiness and sencha on their own would make for a warming, nostalgia-inducing traditional japanese green tea experience. The addition of the sweet cherry under-flavor that lingers on your tongue after the rest have faded makes it into something else entirely. Rather than a synergy, it’s like drinking two separate teas simultaneously, the sweet and salty halves coexisting but not as one. Definitely a very complex and uniquely creative brew as I’d expect from Lupicia, and one that really hits the spot in certain, specific moments for me.

This is definitely a super polarizing tea, and not for people who are primarily fans of mellow, sweet teas. It’s intensely calming and relaxing to me, but make no mistake – it’s intense, and odds are, very unusual to your palate. Brew it gently, and don’t let the leaves go stale, or the bitterness and brine will overpower everything else. I also found that it had a ton of dust to shake out through the basket before brewing, and I recommend you do this, lest that dust end up in your cup and sour the brew. Even with my best efforts, quite a bit made it into the bottom of the cup – I don’t think it suffered for it, but if I hadn’t shaken it mostly out first, it would have.

I am trying this tea for the first time, using water just off the boil.
My first impression is that it’s quite different. I can understand why it has such wildly different review scores: there is an undercurrent of salted cherry three leaves that is quite different, and can be puzzling if you haven’t tasted them before. For me, the saltiness does indeed provide a clean taste, as described by Lupicia. It’s not my favorite flavored green tea, but it is a nice one nonetheless.

I have to respectfully disagree with the previous reviews, even though I completely understand them. This tea is very much an acquired taste, made as it is with flavouring from a pickled cherry leaf. If brewed lightly it can be a very fresh and uplifting tea. When I lived in Japan, the pickled cherry leaves would be found around sakura mochi, and were one of my favourite things to eat – only available in the springtime. This tea captures that flavour excellently – a true Japanese spring feeling.

If you like it, I’d also recommend the even more unusual taste of the Ume vert, made from pickled japanese plums!

I think something must have died in mine! It cant honestly be this awful can it? its just… so bad. It tastes like a football field! Ive tried it a few times at different temperatures and its just still awful.

… It comes in such a pretty tin though….

175 °F / 79 °C

Summer Vacation! This will probably be the last Japanese tea I manage to fit in this week, and next week I’ll be sampling Taiwanese teas (and maybe some Thai and Vietnamese teas, depending on time). I have tried a different Sakura Sencha before, as well as a sakura-flavored black tea, and really enjoyed them both, but I’ve still been hording all my Lupicia sakura seasonals from last March. I decided to go with the mid-caffeine option for this evening, and grabbed the sakura green tea. I also have their black, houjicha, and rooibos stashed away. (What can I say, I really like sakura…)

I love the smell from the bag, which has that lovely floral cherry scent from the sakura leaves. I brewed 2g in 370ml of 175F water in my gravity well infuser for two minutes, and the infusion is a very bright yellow-green color with a very sweet sakura aroma wafting from the cup. My sencha did not have any vegetal astringency, with a pleasant sweet grassy taste, albeit a little subtle beneath the sakura flavor. It’s a cherry sort of note, but much softer, without that harsh artificial/medicinal edge that cherry flavoring has, and there is a slightly salty taste right on the finish from the leaves. It seems from other reviews this salty taste bothers many, but I don’t really have any issues with it. My palate always has been the odd one out, loving those tart/tangy flavors that most people seem to dislike, so perhaps salty just goes in that mix.

I will say I do like the other sakura green I’ve tried better than this one though, which was from Chasandai Tea Factory and ordered through Yunomi, as that one used sugared sakura leaves rather than salted ones and the sencha used had an incredibly buttery taste and mouthfeel, so the overall sweeter profile and buttery taste ended up tasting like sakura-flavored sugar cookies. That tea is so good it’s just hard for any other sakura tea to compare.

Flavors: Cherry, Floral, Sakura, Salty, Smooth, Sweet, warm grass

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 13 OZ / 370 ML
derk

There it is, the review I’ve been waiting for. 2g, 370mL. One steep?

Mastress Alita

I don’t normally resteep my western brews, but usually because I’m lacking the time to do so. Tonight I have had a chance to make a second cup as I’ve been lazing around working on manga translations, and I just steeped for a minute longer on the second steep. But yes, I tend to go for one largish coffee mug of tea at a time and I’m satisfied. Most of my mugs (except for one exceptionally large one) hold about that much water so I use OCTea [ https://octea.ndim.space/ ] to calculate for me the leaf amount for western brew and it works pretty well for me. I’m no good at that sort of thing on my own.

derk

I have no regrets dumping all 6g of your sample into one brew since it allowed me taste this tea in full force. I still am open to trying it again (as well as the other sakura teas you mentioned in the review) with your parameters.

derk

It intrigues me that this tea has such polar reviews. I kind of want more but not bad enough to warrant the cost and time to take the train and light rail to San Jose.

Mastress Alita

My biggest guess with the polar reviews is either the salty note from the way the sakura leaves are preserved which creates a very “love it or hate it” reaction, or simply the ol’ green tea fussiness (too much leaf/too hot of water/too long steep time = bitter awful nasty tea). Or maybe it’s just a floral with a lot less appeal on this side of the Pacific. It could very well be just not liking that floral since so many people describe it as “soapy” and that seems to be the go-to descriptor of floral tastes that a palate dislikes (for me it’s chamomile that isn’t just a “background note”; if I can taste a strong chamomile flavor, it has a “soapy” sort of unpleasant taste to me, and I love lavender and can add it to nearly anything, but I hear so many people say it just tastes bitter and soapy.) As far as the “salted” issue, the Chasandai Tea Farm version has their sakura leaves sugared instead, and think it would be worth it to anyone who dislikes a salted sakura tea to at least sample that one to see if that was the issue, or if it was the sakura floral flavor itself.

The San Jose Lupicia wouldn’t even have these until March anyway. I of course have to ship them. I’d say my sakura tea collection is pretty vast, because in addition to Lupicia’s offerings, I have two a friend brought me back from Japan (the friend who lives in San Jose) which are from a company called Natsume (at least from what I can read with my limited Japanese skills from the packaging), and I have a few I’ve ordered from Yunomi, which ships teas directly from Japan. The Yunomi ones tend to stay in stock year-round, at least until the stock runs out. If you want to try another sakura tea sometime, I’m sure it could be arranged.